PDA

View Full Version : Rat Reports

surfrob
12-05-2014, 04:43 PM
is it just me (this is not directed at anyone in particular) or does anyone else get sick of reports of rats?

I mean, catching 18-23" stripers in December is a staple of December fishing down in NJ. I never in my life have read so many
reports of shorts this fall.

Not just on this forum, but (almost) all that I frequent.

"was out last night, 2 shorts caught, 19 and 22" "

whatever...

What I mean by that is that until recently (and I don't know when this started) but I never really saw so many anglers (what's word: proud? or
obligated? or anxious? or ) to post reports of a few (what I call) rats caught as a "report".

Sigh. :scared::kooky:

Of course, down in dixie, if you weren't out in a boat the last few weeks... virtually NOTHING was being caught
along the front surf. the only decent fish (and NO ONE DOWN HERE REPORTS THIS) caught were along the banks in the back
by sod stompers, with a few caught along the scarce rock piles (not surprisingly either).

One good fish caught and weighed and every bait shop in the county had it up on their site.

But it's the angler reports that are startling.

Perhaps the younger anglers just have nothing better to compare it to. But in my prime (by that I mean when i could get out often and longer) NONE of us would be posting about it except perhaps the occasional "rat attack" type post.

Guess I've just already got cabin fever in that I won't get out til next week, at best.
Either that, or I'm just an old fart. :burn:

Monty
12-05-2014, 07:40 PM
I don't mind them. Actually any report with a pic or some info I like. Also when one of the regular posters here post a report wether its shorts or keeper sized bass its good to hear they caught a few fish. I think Storminsteve caught like 17 shorts one trip, was great to hear he had some great action, probably one of my favorite reports this year. I posted a report of every trip I took this year, skunk, shorts or keeper. And I enjoyed every trip skunk, short or keeper. And I dont think its about being "proud" of catching shorts, or keepers or even skunks as we all have had and shared them in reports thread here. For me its just posting about my weekly trip in the "reports" forum here, sharing the experience and a few pics with the other S and A members, skunk, shorts or keepers. And I only do it on this site, I think the membership on this site is good group of people, a bit nuts/wacky/entertaining decent people. So my response is directed at this site only..

finchaser
12-05-2014, 11:35 PM
If your referring to my most recent post! I like to give back and share my knowledge with the younger newer community who have never witnessed a fall run this poor, by letting them know there are still fish around and what they are hitting. Plus the new cell phone crew probably aren't getting any calls because things aren't so epic as they say.

To answer your other question if you are an old fart like me no we never posted because we had no computers;)

surfrob
12-06-2014, 08:05 AM
fishchaser... I'll admit your latest report prompted my post, but this is not directed specifically at you.
This thread is for discussion, not finger pointing!

I've just been reading it everywhere (ok, I admit, I read more than I fish... but that's life right now :( )

Anyhow, yeah... waaaay back there were no computers :D

But in the early years of message boards, and fishing forums, no one felt "compelled" to post these reports of shorts.

I guess I'm just not that enthused about "action" when I'm fishing a rig that handles 20 lb fish with ease.

Rats in December, as I wrote, are a staple of the Jersey surf. Now tell me sandeels are in, and I'm there, eventually a decent
fish will come in.

I can remember my early sw days, when a striped bass was more a legend than a fact. The only guys who caught them were die hards
who lived in jetty country, and a few head boat captains fishing for them as bycatch when they were out for bottom fish.
We did get spoiled when the population of both bait and bass boomed in the 90s... but it's not really the reports
that get me per se. I can't put my finger on it.

It's like, if I have some time to kill, it's nice to know I can downsize and find some fish.

But I will never go chasing after short rats, over and over. In some ways, I like to give them a break.
So by reporting this, I'm increasing pressure on fish that I really really want to grow up to a decent size.
They have enough trouble finding food in the colder months, why keep jumping them? And by reporting
on it everywhere, I would just be increasing the pressure.

Anyhow, it's just a feeling of mine. I didn't respond in the reports thread because again, it's not
directed at anyone specifically and frankly what you report is up to you!

I just wanted to hear some feedback from others!

finchaser
12-06-2014, 09:58 AM
Couldn't agree with you more^^^ I am all about saving them and will till my dying day. I rarely take them out of the water and always fish crushed barbs. I was one of the jetty jockey's or rock hoppers as we were referred too back in the day. I continue fishing this time of year because do to my age and health I never know when my last trip will be.

buckethead
12-06-2014, 10:09 AM
This thread is for discussion, not finger pointing!

I've just been reading it everywhere (ok, I admit, I read more than I fish... but that's life right now :( )

Anyhow, yeah... waaaay back there were no computers :D

I guess I'm just not that enthused about "action" when I'm fishing a rig that handles 20 lb fish with ease.

Rats in December, as I wrote, are a staple of the Jersey surf. Now tell me sandeels are in, and I'm there, eventually a decent
fish will come in.

I can remember my early sw days, when a striped bass was more a legend than a fact. The only guys who caught them were die hards
who lived in jetty country, and a few head boat captains fishing for them as bycatch when they were out for bottom fish.
We did get spoiled when the population of both bait and bass boomed in the 90s... but it's not really the reports
....I just wanted to hear some feedback from others!

Surfrob I'm with finchaser and monty. The current generation of anglers has been spoiled by the bunker blitzes and cell phone chains. They only come out to fish when they hear someone else had an epic outing. Why don't they come out and find fish for themselves? They don't have to, the internet and facebook does it for them. I come from the generation when these reports didn't exist. You had to physically go into tackle shops. The old men were sharing stories of the night before but you had to know them. Whenever a newbie came into the shop and tried to stealthily make his way within hearing range of the old guys the conversation got a little quieter. Fishing was not something that was generally bragged about as to time and place caught. It was work to find the fish and there was a lot of respect for that.

I think it's also a fact that when you did find fish you could find them for nights on end. Fish in the 20-40lb class were there if you paid attention to the tides and bait patterns. There haven't been nights like that for me for a while now, which is why I have sadly positioned myself to fish dawn and dusk. The great night bites of the 90's and 2000 decade are long gone. Sadly, many of the young guns out there now don't know or have an appreciation for that.
And yes, I am now one of the old farts that used to sit around Giglios and talk about the night's catches back when there was no internet. I just don't have the energy or motivation to fish the night tides like I used to. I try to let the new guys know that there are some fish around. I fished this morning just to take a walk on the beach. I knew there were slim possibilities and I just wanted to be out there anyway. Hope that explains it better.

buckethead
12-06-2014, 10:14 AM
I don't mind them. Actually any report with a pic or some info I like. Also when one of the regular posters here post a report wether its shorts or keeper sized bass its good to hear they caught a few fish. ...
And I dont think its about being "proud" of catching shorts, or keepers or even skunks as we all have had and shared them in reports thread here. For me its just posting about my weekly trip in the "reports" forum here, sharing the experience and a few pics with the other S and A members, skunk, shorts or keepers. And I only do it on this site, I think the membership on this site is good group of people, a bit nuts/wacky/entertaining decent people. So my response is directed at this site only..

I like to give back and share my knowledge with the younger newer community who have never witnessed a fall run this poor, by letting them know there are still fish around and what they are hitting. Plus the new cell phone crew probably aren't getting any calls because things aren't so epic as they say.

To answer your other question if you are an old fart like me no we never posted because we had no computers;)

monty I certainly agree with what you said. I try to post to give back to the newer guys. finchaser you said it so well too. I am also one of the old farts and have seen times of great abundance, along with times of scarcity during the moratorium in the 90's. We old farts have to stick together. These young guns have no perspective of the nights of 20 and 30 large fish. They just weren't fishing back then, most of them.
I think what happens over time is folks lose sight of the good fishing, start to accept the mediocre or bad fishing, and that settles in as the new bar of excellence. This all happens without many noticing it.

buckethead
12-06-2014, 10:15 AM
I continue fishing this time of year because do to my age and health I never know when my last trip will be.

Me too. Too many of us have dropped and passed on.

hookset
12-06-2014, 10:35 AM
^^^^ Well-said finchaser and bucket heard. Every year someone else passes. Enjoy the reports and the tips you impart. :thumbsup:

As for the rat reports I think people are more likely to rant on the internet than do anything about it in real life. I just read 2 pages of non fishing reports on another site. Ranting about the state of the stripers and replenishment conditions. where were all those voices at the rally for the jetties in Asbury Park? Or writing their congressmen and the folks in charge when the striper regulations were changed. There is no real spirit among fishermen today. Only internet rantings. That doesn't do much when you have meat men like Capt Fisher Price and Johnny bucktails slamming limits and putting limit plus bonus catches on the dock when they can. No one is willing to stick up to the meats except for a few here and there. with all the internet comments how many are willing to actually do something about it?
I read something about someone suggesting that all the members take a pledge to not kill any stripers for the next year. Sell stickers at a buck apiece promoting it. what happens in reality is there is a lot of talk, and not much action. Useless rants these posts are because most of the fellas are not willing to back up their talk. Hey sorry for the rant now it looks like I have become one of the ranters, lol.

jigfreak
12-06-2014, 10:42 AM
I think what happens over time is folks lose sight of the good fishing, start to accept the mediocre or bad fishing, and that settles in as the new bar of excellence. This all happens without many noticing it.

Good point gents. A lot of the old timers will not post because they get sick of the stupidity. I am not quite as old as some of you but have been fishing for 40 years. I post to help the others. When you see posts where you know there are only scattered fish left and you see some guy catching 10lb bass and saying "Gee these are ok "but I am waiting for the COWS!"

You know that is a guy that has grown up fishing by chasing internet reports. Be happy with what you have, it's fishing for Christ sake.

basshunter
12-06-2014, 11:00 AM

Rats in December, as I wrote, are a staple of the Jersey surf.

Just thinking out loud, downsize your rig to a smaller one and you might feel differently. I switch to a 7 1/2 foot rod this time of year and 10lb braid. Most fish are in close feeding on the crabs and small bait anyway. If you get a decent fish the fight will feel like a real fight. No judgements just a suggestion.

storminsteve
12-06-2014, 03:01 PM
I don't mind them. Actually any report with a pic or some info I like. Also when one of the regular posters here post a report wether its shorts or keeper sized bass its good to hear they caught a few fish. I think Storminsteve caught like 17 shorts one trip, was great to hear he had some great action, probably one of my favorite reports this year. I posted a report of every trip I took this year, skunk, shorts or keeper. And I enjoyed every trip skunk, short or keeper.

:HappyWave:well that's nice of you to say that. That trip with 17 shorts was so great I think I went back the next night hoping for a repeat and then nada! I always enjoy your reports as well monty esp the sunrise pics. BH agree with what you said too even if we don't catch getting out there is good therapy!

buckethead
12-07-2014, 10:33 AM
^^^^^^^Yes it is.

surfrob
12-07-2014, 10:38 PM
Guys, great discussion.

Not near a PC and my phone doesn't handle this this site well

more later!

surfrob
12-10-2014, 07:30 AM
Just thinking out loud, downsize your rig to a smaller one and you might feel differently. I switch to a 7 1/2 foot rod this time of year and 10lb braid. Most fish are in close feeding on the crabs and small bait anyway. If you get a decent fish the fight will feel like a real fight. No judgements just a suggestion.

basshunter, when it's late december and I just want to get out of the house for a day, yes, I do downsize (or have in the past).

Anyhow, guess it's just me being an old fart... I feel like someone in an "active adult" community peering out my shades at the neighborhood

Age must be getting to me :)

Blazin420
12-11-2014, 06:23 AM
basshunter, when it's late december and I just want to get out of the house for a day, yes, I do downsize (or have in the past).

Anyhow, guess it's just me being an old fart... I feel like someone in an "active adult" community peering out my shades at the neighborhood

Age must be getting to me :)
Man rob you sound like that old guy yelling at the kids out the window"keep your damn ball off my lawn you little basstards" hahaha Just kidding brotha:HappyWave:...As for the rats...Well i like the late fall lil bass fishing...It gives me a chance to scale down the gear and try out some different things..New plugs,reels/rods and technics...I always figured if i catch the little guys in a way i never tried that the big ones at some point will also be caught that way...Like practice for the big game at the peak of the season:don't know why:..And like a few others have said i post my reports good,bad,big fish,small fish ect...If it helps a guy or 2 get into some fish then awesome..Also the crowds really tend to thin out and i can have a whole strech of beach or a whole jetty to myself with out and yo-yo tryin to mug me...And last like ive said in the past,along with others.. Its ALWAYS more then just catching to me.Its about being out there walking the beach,the sound of the waves,sunrise/sunsets,finding sea glass(or dead things lol)...Its the whole experience each and every time i walk out on the sand that i love!