PDA

View Full Version : NJ Fishing reports for Jan - Mar 2015 - wwwStripersAndAnglers.com

DarkSkies
01-01-2015, 02:54 PM
Short and sweet......

1. Post your fishing reports here if ya want.....
2. Be as specific as ya want....but remember the limited access....If you don't enjoy fishing next to 40 friends at night in a 400 foot section of beach, think before ya post.....:idea:
3. Location - Out front, out back, or the county...further details on the first page of any past S&A monthly fishing reports.

4. Moderation...
I rarely have time to moderate these threads.
If something needs to be addressed,and you are a contributing member.....please PM me or send an e-mail via the report post button.

** Thanks for your cooperation and for being such a great group! :thumbsup:
Remember the "back" and the inlets are closed this time of year. If you're catching fish there, it's probably not the best idea to brag about it and post on a public forum.....food for thought......:learn:

Winter 2015 has been relatively mild so far.
Some fish have shown up. Some small schoolies in the surf.
Others, enough to pull a little drag, in scattered numbers following the herring.

The usual places may hold fish.....
Some of them are illegal to fish at after Jan 1.....

I was at a party last night where they were talking about some of the trash and disrespectful behavior in those areas...so if you do fish there, please try to pick up after yourselves. If it were me, I would try not to bring too much attention to myself....but maybe that's just me......

When reports come up, I might transition them to the Winter Fishing thread and close this thread down....
Anyone who is a regular here will know where to find that thread......

It's fun to get out and wet a line....
And for many of us...it's needed therapy....:fishing:
Good luck...People....
Let's hope for a better year ahead. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
01-01-2015, 02:57 PM
Some folks are registering and are still confused so I'll need to post this separately.
If anyone has any suggestions to make this process more painless....your feedback is always welcome.....thanks...:HappyWave:

NJ Fishing Reports for November 2014.....www.StripersAndAnglers.com (http://www.stripersandanglers.com/)

**Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post. If you began to register and can't post, check your spam folder for your activation instructions.

cowherder
01-01-2015, 03:56 PM
Live report, out and about in moco. Saw 3 other guys. None of us caught anything in the last hour tossing plugs. taking a break now with some hot coco from the thermos. Back out in a few minutes. Will report if I catch anything.

surferman
01-01-2015, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the report. Dead in cape may. My bud has off this week and was out 4 times. He said all the skates and doggies you want. Otherwise no luck.

cowherder
01-02-2015, 09:06 AM
Skunked yesterday. Well at least I tried for a new years fish. I heard it will be 50 degrees on sat may try again.

hookedonbass
01-03-2015, 09:49 AM
Fished Moco this morning from 7-9. Looked real fishy out there the seas are starting to build up a little ahead of the rain. Some decent white water. Tossed a bucktail and shad, no fish for me.

Monty
01-03-2015, 02:16 PM
Well at least I tried for a new years fish. I heard it will be 50 degrees on sat may try again.

Fished Moco this morning from 7-9. Looked real fishy out there the seas are starting to build up a little ahead of the rain. Some decent white water.

Good to see a few guys getting out and doing some fishing :HappyWave:

hookset
01-06-2015, 09:07 AM
Looks like the fat lady has finally sung. Damn it's cold out there.

storminsteve
01-07-2015, 07:10 AM
Yeah and it shut down the fishing big time.

buckethead
01-08-2015, 07:39 AM
Yes it did. Took a walk on the beach this morning. It was bitter cold. There seems to be no moderation in temperature until Sunday. Bundle up gents.

storminsteve
01-10-2015, 12:28 PM
Well there's always herring.

hookset
01-10-2015, 12:36 PM
I read they're crushing the herring in LI. By the buckets.

buckethead
01-13-2015, 07:51 AM
Took a walk on the water's edge this morning. No fishing just walking. Beautiful sunrise and some good surf. Other wise no signs of life.

VSdreams
01-15-2015, 12:07 PM
Thanks for posting the reports fellas. Always good to hear someone walking the surf line even though no fish are around. I find myself at work stealing a glance at some of the surf cams just to have a brief look at the water!

wish4fish
02-21-2015, 09:11 AM
went out today to clear out some of r early spots. lots of trash and lots of ice. that is all

Monty
03-01-2015, 06:08 PM

http://www.abseconbay.com/

surfstix1963
03-02-2015, 02:47 AM
The glow in the dark stripers...

surfrob
03-02-2015, 06:37 AM
That power plant zone should be C&R... hey, I know they went out, crawled through fences or whatever. But a bunch of guys running there so they can get first fish prizes for tackle shops all over NJ seems wrong to me.

Sorry if this comes off as sour grapes, and those are two nice fish (not like they are poaching schoolies), but something about those catches bothers me.

Dave from the absecon shop even KNEW they were power plant fish (duh) and couldn't care less as it's action for his scale a pic and free advertizing for all the other frozen in shops.

Some here may know my distain for tourneys anyway, but at least some shops run specific local tourneys (example, Andy at riptide has the brigantine only contest... perhaps someone cheats there but the shop rules are clear anyway)

ah well, clearly I got the cabin fever grumps... tight lines all :D

hookset
03-02-2015, 01:12 PM
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19204&stc=1

http://www.abseconbay.com/

That power plant zone should be C&R... hey, I know they went out, crawled through fences or whatever. But a bunch of guys running there so they can get first fish prizes for tackle shops all over NJ seems wrong to me.

Sorry if this comes off as sour grapes, and those are two nice fish (not like they are poaching schoolies), but something about those catches bothers me.

.. tight lines all :D

Yeah, Dave always puts the publicity ahead of everything else. I'm surprised he admitted they came from oyster. Maybe he felt ppl would not believe it if he didn't put that disclaimer in there. Andy at Riptide tries to be much fairer about it. I like his rules better. You don't need to apologize for sour grapes surfrob. I feel the same way. Fishing there is like fishing in a goldfish bowl. You know you will get fish. This year it's a little different because they changed the schedule and were told to keep the discharge temp lower but it's still like fishing in a fishbowl. About the same as hiring a charter boat capt to bring you out in the middle of a bunker blitz so you can drop a livie and get a 40. No skill involved at all. jmho of course

bababooey
03-02-2015, 01:46 PM
Not trying to start a war here but it's not that easy to catch bass when they are on bunker. You do have to target the pods which have bass under them. That really does take some experience! The most skill involves the super modern clambrella rig though. Only sharpies use them. It's easy to fail if you don't know what you are doing.:)

surferman
03-02-2015, 01:48 PM
awesome! lol

fishgutz
03-02-2015, 03:29 PM
Don't think anyone will be doing any catching for awhile.http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19221&stc=1

finchaser
03-02-2015, 07:16 PM
water is 29 i'd say at least a month

fishinmission78
03-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Took these at the beginning of the storm today

seamonkey
03-05-2015, 02:28 PM
whiteout!

dogfish
03-05-2015, 02:51 PM
Just remember fellas someone always has it worst than you all do. This year has been the worst winter for us in about a decade. Can't wait for this snow to be done and finally melt. How about a no snow dance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=impLDQHk-jk

dogfish
03-05-2015, 02:52 PM
I was singing it this morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfoN6MU_YLs

cowherder
03-05-2015, 02:56 PM
haha so true! Awesome song. Check out this guy he has it really bad. Cussing all over the place!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuTXUcoGdhw

lostatsea
03-05-2015, 03:10 PM
That was crazy. Ppl tried to help him and he was yelling at them.

storminsteve
03-05-2015, 03:41 PM
All right gents out with the negativity and time for some positivity. I posted this last week in the winter pics thread. If this girl can get happy in the snow so can we! In another week all this will be melted and there will only be about 500 icebergs in the bays as compared to the thousands there are now. Come on spring!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXU0pPcY9Lg

porgy75
03-05-2015, 03:46 PM
:drool:Awesome thank you sir!

jigfreak
03-06-2015, 05:39 AM
If this girl can get happy in the snow so can we! In another week all this will be melted and there will only be about 500 icebergs in the bays as compared to the thousands there are now. Come on spring!

"only" 500 icebergs lol. Damn you have to be the poster child for positivity then.;)
Did like that video though. She looks like a lotta fun.

lostatsea
03-07-2015, 08:11 AM
Positivity for sure. The worst of the winter is behind us. The days are getting longer. The robins are starting to show up too. It will take a while for the ice to melt but soon after we will be fishing. Nice girl Steve thanks for sharing that.

Blazin420
03-07-2015, 01:56 PM
Glad the clocks go ahead this weekend...Were 1 step closer....Ill be at Asbury to help shake some of the "shack nastys" (not that it will cure it but anything will do right now)...And probably check on some spots after...Just to go see the ocean will be a treat!!

cowherder
03-07-2015, 02:13 PM
.And probably check on some spots after...Just to go see the ocean will be a treat!!

I might do that too. It's been so long since I saw water that wasn't covered by ice I forgot what it looks like!

storminsteve
03-07-2015, 09:06 PM
That's the spirit guys! Why whine about the cold and show. Can't do much about it anyway. Spring will be here before you know it.

seamonkey
03-09-2015, 01:53 PM
All right gents out with the negativity and time for some positivity. I posted this last week in the winter pics thread. If this girl can get happy in the snow so can we! In another week all this will be melted and there will only be about 500 icebergs in the bays as compared to the thousands there are now. Come on spring!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXU0pPcY9Lg

dude I love this please keep the positivity and your posts going. I am going to fish the big d for stripers on march 20. I dont care if the fish are there or not just have to get out there and enjoy the weather. The fish are always a bonus.

ledhead36
03-11-2015, 12:07 AM
You da man steve. Not to take away from the positivity and charmin clouds here but does anyone know what happened at the IFF plant tonight on Rt 36? Was driving by and there were about 10 police cars and equally as many firetrucks. Must of had the entire middletown area squads out there. The sky was lit up like the 4th of July with all the red and blue strobe lights.

cowherder
03-11-2015, 06:09 PM
I think they were talking about it on 101.5 this morning. Some kind of fire threat or something like that not sure. I was only half paying attention and had to turn it off in the middle of the report.

hookedonbass
03-12-2015, 04:48 AM
All the snow melted in my yard. Won't be long now

finchaser
03-12-2015, 08:27 AM
Water is 33 now for the run off and bad weather this weekend

fishinmission78
03-12-2015, 10:16 AM
Yeah - I agree with finchaser. Unless you like nuclear fish the water is still too cold. This is one of the worst early seasons in about a decade. Might as well get the special projects and honey do list tackled. Not much use in fishing until you find water in the 45 degree range. That will take a while. jmo

jigfreak
03-13-2015, 10:06 AM
You fellas make a good point but there is a slow warming trend. With the ice melting the mud will be heating up and we should at least be able to catch some flounder by next week some time.

DarkSkies
03-14-2015, 11:48 AM
I know aside from the power plant areas, hardly anyone is fishing from shore right now....
That didn't stop Team TCB...

I told them that the 45 degree magic mark was still a little off in the future....they didn't care.....said:
"Rich, we just had to get out of the house....stripers, flounder, we didn't care if we caught anything at all....just needed to be out there!" :fishing:

I salute you guys..:thumbsup:...They travel to wherever they think they have the best shot at a fish.....last year they caught the first legitimate (non)-power plant keeper in NJ..(and did not weigh it in)....they must be doing something right.....:clapping:

Report and pics courtesy of Team TCB :HappyWave:.........

"Our first trip of 2015 was a blast. No hits but to wet a line and spend some quality time with my team members made the afternoon worthwhile. A couple more weeks to glory."

jigfreak
03-14-2015, 01:02 PM
Yeah hats off to them for giving it a try. I'm gonna wait till April1. No power plant fish on my plate, not interested.

ledhead36
03-14-2015, 05:15 PM
I saw some dudes out there the other day Rich. Must of been them couldn't have been anyone else. No one is fishing yet. Next time I'll stop by and ask them if they know you. We can share some secret stories about you.:HappyWave:

hookset
03-15-2015, 04:04 PM
Nice try fellas. I like that attitude.

fishinmission78
03-15-2015, 05:26 PM
buy some worms when they're at it. You never know when the fishing is going to turn on. Shouldn't be that much longer now once the ice islands finish melting. LOL

lostatsea
03-16-2015, 02:28 PM
March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb I think we're halfway there.

lostatsea
03-16-2015, 02:28 PM
I know aside from the power plant areas, hardly anyone is fishing from shore right now....
That didn't stop Team TCB...

I told them that the 45 degree magic mark was still a little off in the future....they didn't care.....said:
"Rich, we just had to get out of the house....stripers, flounder, we didn't care if we caught anything at all....just needed to be out there!" :fishing:

I salute you guys..:thumbsup:...They travel to wherever they think they have the best shot at a fish.....last year they caught the first legitimate (non)-power plant keeper in NJ..(and did not weigh it in)....they must be doing something right.....:clapping:

Report and pics courtesy of Team TCB :HappyWave:.........

"Our first trip of 2015 was a blast. No hits but to wet a line and spend some quality time with my team members made the afternoon worthwhile. A couple more weeks to glory."

Nice effort gents.

hookedonbass
03-16-2015, 04:59 PM
x2 it was nice to hear about dudes actually out doing it instead of just bsing about it. nice going

cowherder
03-16-2015, 05:24 PM
I enjoyed the real report as well those guys are hardcore! One of us should be catching soon good luck to all.

Blazin420
03-17-2015, 02:18 PM
Nice to see some guys got out!! I headed S this am and fished the dark till a bit after sun up...Racked up the first goose egg for '15 :D felt good to be casting tho...

VSdreams
03-18-2015, 09:39 AM
Great to hear peeps are trying. Soon!

cowherder
03-18-2015, 09:48 AM
Nice to see some guys got out!! I headed S this am and fished the dark till a bit after sun up...Racked up the first goose egg for '15 :D felt good to be casting tho...

Wow you're crazy! The temperature wasn't bad but the wind was killer! How did you manage to cast with all that wind?

Blazin420
03-18-2015, 02:55 PM
Wow you're crazy! The temperature wasn't bad but the wind was killer! How did you manage to cast with all that wind?
Haha...Yeah im stir crazy from sitting in the house all winter lol...I found a spot that had the wind kind of at my back...It wasnt all that bad till the sun came up.. after a few hard gusts i packed it in!

cowherder
03-19-2015, 07:37 AM
Hey thanks for trying blazin at least you put in your time and when you do catch it will be ever so sweet! Always enjoy your reports thanks for sharing them and good luck.

lostatsea
03-19-2015, 10:49 AM
You guys are def hardcore. Real fishermen as opposed to sit around the internet and talk about fishing fishermen. Give me some hope keep em coming!

cowherder
03-20-2015, 01:42 PM
Well the snow today might def push things back a bit. Saw a lot of robins out in the grass this week. Come on Spring you can do it! Kick Winter to the curb!

finchaser
03-20-2015, 02:21 PM
over 6 inches here in Brick at 10 PM

ledhead36
03-21-2015, 08:34 AM
We only got about 2 inches up in the rb. Looks like we missed the brunt of it finchaser. Are you out shoveling?

seamonkey
03-22-2015, 11:52 AM
Big D report! Hit up the river after church today. Water is cold and my bloods got untouched by stripers. did catch a few white perch tho. Talked to an old guy down by the river area that I like to go to. The shad are in the river and the stripers wont be too far behind! Like you guys said come on spring!

finchaser
03-22-2015, 12:34 PM
6" all melted ocean 39 today

hookset
03-22-2015, 08:57 PM
soon, soon, soon if I hear another soon I'm going to pop someone in the head. don't mind me gents I'm just going a little stir crazy.:kooky: took a ride along the beach today and couldn't even find any small bait, spearing, crabs, or subtle signs of herring. Deader than a witches t** out there. I say that we need 2 weeks of some sun. seamonkey good luck and hope you catch something because it sure as heck isn't going to happen for us in the north anytime soon.

hookset
03-22-2015, 08:58 PM
like finchaser said its just to damn cold.

ledhead36
03-23-2015, 10:49 AM
X2 I agree. Just a heads up the bunker are in the bay. Saw them flipping yesterday. A little too frigid for the bass right now tho.

surferman
03-23-2015, 11:12 AM
Nice going seamonkey at least you tried.

Blazin420
03-23-2015, 02:24 PM
X2 I agree. Just a heads up the bunker are in the bay. Saw them flipping yesterday. A little too frigid for the bass right now tho.
Glad to here some bunka is around...Just gotta get them temps up..RB hasnt been more then 43 yet..Hopefully the end of this week itll hit the 44-45 mark!

plugcrazy
03-24-2015, 08:58 AM
Good luck gents. I was driving along the shore yesterday after work and saw an osprey nest. Their have to be bunker or something around or else they will go hungry. Thanks for keeping the interest one of us should catch something soon!

clamchucker
03-24-2015, 09:10 AM
I think things are starting to look promising. Because of the cold winter the activity will be delayed for about 3 weeks longer than normal. It all depends on bay area water temperatures sticking in the mid 40 degree range for about a week. You will hear of the first stirrings on the bay and sedge flats because that is where the water is warmest. Look for outgoing tide to start giving up the most action.

basshunter
03-24-2015, 02:47 PM
I guess we're all going a little stir crazy thats all. Great reports guys keep em coming. At least some of the guys here are out fishing and trying.

seamonkey
03-25-2015, 03:49 PM
Thanks basshunter. I figured we have to do our part. I enjoy the banter and the reads here. Whether we catch or not we are helping the local tackle shops. They really do need it.

Blazin420
03-26-2015, 08:14 AM
Went out last night to sling some snot! Fished from 9pm till about 1230am..Air temps were decent and the rain passed..But unfortunately not a taphttp://www.stripersurf.com/images/smilies/no.gif...Water was clean and calm...Only good part was i was all by myselfhttp://www.stripersurf.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif ...No one insight..Water felt cold...Its good that the temps are slowly rising with no big drops but it still need some warm sun to get it up a bit more...Should be soon...

cowherder
03-27-2015, 07:38 PM
Went out after work today to just check out the ocean I havent been there in so long. Brought a rod and bucktail with me but didn't take it out. The ocean was dead. I was down in sb is that a spot burn if I didn't catch any fish lol?
The ocean was foggy and there was some white water. Maybe enough white water to convince monty to fish nj? Anyway it was a nice time out there looking at the ocean. Come on spring!

cowherder
03-27-2015, 07:41 PM
Went out last night to sling some snot! Fished from 9pm till about 1230am..Air temps were decent and the rain passed..But unfortunately not a taphttp://www.stripersurf.com/images/smilies/no.gif...Water was clean and calm...

well you are better than me I was only near the water for about a half hours. Everything looked so totally dead and I had read the water temp was around 40 so didnt see the point. Had a good time walking along the shoreline though. There were no dead things just clean and clear beaches.

barrys
03-28-2015, 12:11 PM
well you are better than me I was only near the water for about a half hours. Everything looked so totally dead and I had read the water temp was around 40 so didnt see the point. Had a good time walking along the shoreline though. There were no dead things just clean and clear beaches.

What do you guys use to take the water temp?

Blazin420
03-28-2015, 01:47 PM
There are a bunch of site to use...For the back bay spots i use the USGS web site for the locations i fish Just google the area and water temp they should come up..They might not be 100% accurate but they give you a idea as to what the temps are( i will say the Keansburg 1 is a bit off IMHO its always up and down)...Also swell info has 1 for the ocean as well and Surfers view(which also has web cams to check current conditions..

Blazin420
03-28-2015, 01:52 PM
I check them daily and today they all seem to be about 41 deg...SeaBright/Shrewsbury=40.5....South Amboy/Raritain river=41.5....Keansburg/Waackaack Creek=40...They havent topped 43 deg yet so we need a few more deg before it gets good IMHO...Like i said early this month 2nd-3rd week in April till a real push of fish start..Hopefully im wrong but it doesnt look that way

Monty
03-28-2015, 03:16 PM
There were no dead things just clean and clear beaches.
Still to cold for dead things. Middle of April is usually when dead stuff starts appearing, maybe late April this year. Congrats on getting out there, I walked a beach in LI a few weeks ago, was good getting out, Storminsteve is likely still hibernating.

Blazin420
03-30-2015, 07:31 AM
Gave it another go yesterday afternoon till dark....Fished in some good company which was great cause it helped since no fish came out to play! That cold on Sat night had my expectations low..Even tried some fresh dug worms from John and Rui :HappyWave:not a tap!...Im liking the way this weeks tides are looking so ill be out there a couple days this week after work...Its been a long time since i didnt catch a single bass in March:embarassed:

finchaser
03-30-2015, 08:34 AM

A thermometer designed for taking stream temperatures. Basically a mercury thermometer with an aluminum out side shell extremely accurate. I attach to the snap on my leader from surf or boat as I have 4 of these. I keep one in my truck with a line attached to get temperature at the mouth of inlet for ocean, canal for upper bay and a dock for river.