PDA

View Full Version : Carl Richey Passes On

surfstix1963
01-08-2015, 05:48 PM
COTTON CORDELL DEAD AT 86

Ken Duke (http://fishingtackleretailer.com/author/ken-duke/)
January 6, 2015
Featured Stories (http://fishingtackleretailer.com/c20-featured-stories/), Highlights (http://fishingtackleretailer.com/highlights/), Industry News (http://fishingtackleretailer.com/c20-featured-stories/c10-industry-news/)

http://fishingtackleretailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/cottoncordell-800x520.jpg
HOT SPRINGS, Ark. - Legendary lure maker Carl Richey ("Cotton") Cordell died today at the age of 86. He gained his greatest fame as the manufacturer of the Big O crankbait - the first of the fat-bellied "alphabet lures" of the 1970s - but his impact on the bass fishing market was much bigger.

Cordell was born in Benton, Ark., in 1928 and earned the nickname "Cotton" as a young boy because of his wispy blonde hair. He got into the tackle business in 1952 when he began manufacturing lures for Pflueger, Creek Chub, Heddon and others. Two years later he began branding his own lures, including the Gay Blade, Red Fin and Hot Spot (one of the early lipless crankbaits).

In the early 1970s, an Atomic Energy Commission employee and lure maker named Fred Young created a wooden diving lure named for his brother Odis. The "Big O" took the bass world by storm and soon there were dozens of imitators.

Cordell purchased the lure from Young in 1973, and began mass producing them in plastic. He sold 1.3 million in the first 13 months.

Bobby Dennis, now Sales and Product Development Manager of Luck E Strike U.S.A., began working for Cordell when he was a college student in the early 1970s.

Dennis calls Cordell "a mentor, father figure and friend."
"Cotton was first and foremost a fisherman," Dennis said.
"A lot of people don't know that his dad owned a dock on Lake Catherine (Ark.) and that Cotton guided on the lake. He got me and a lot of other people started in the fishing industry. He was Bill Dance's first television producer and bought Bill his first camera."
"I can't picture Cotton without a piece of wood in one hand and a pocket knife in the other. He was always working on a new lure body and experimenting with designs. He gave me some of the best advice I ever got in my life.
He told me:
"Don't try to be everything to everybody."
He was also extremely dedicated to his church and served as a deacon for many years."

When Cordell sold his manufacturing operation to EBSCO (parent company of PRADCO Outdoor Brands) in 1980, Cordell Tackle Company was the largest lure manufacturer in the world, making 22,000 lures per day and employing more than 500 persons in Arkansas and overseas.

Cordell was inducted into the Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame in 1988 and the Arkansas Outdoor Hall of Fame in 1997.

BassBuddah
01-08-2015, 07:19 PM
I caught a lot of nice bass on a CC Big O in the canal back in the day. These were the saltwater ones as I recall they were first made for freshwater and then developed the salt water series which was deadly. RIP and tight lines in heaven Mr Richey.

hookedonbass
01-08-2015, 07:52 PM
rip

fishinmission78
01-08-2015, 10:09 PM
T&P for the man and his family

jigfreak
01-08-2015, 10:17 PM
X2 buddah, big os were the s**t for gettng bass to strike at night when the bunker and herring were around.
Its a shame what happened to cotton cordell as a brand. They used to stand out. Since getting bought out by the conglomerate ebsco they were diluted and reduced to being sold in the bargain bin spring time 3 and $4 lots at wally world.

Didn't mean to disrespect the dude who started it all. Condolences and thoughts and prayers. may you have tight lines in heaven.

lostatsea
01-11-2015, 08:20 AM
Rip

dogfish
01-12-2015, 07:17 AM
Caught many a fish on his plugs. T&P to the family.

albiealert
01-15-2015, 11:48 AM
Rip. Those smaller plugs have been good for me spring and fall in the rivers I fish.

BassBuddah
01-16-2015, 08:56 AM
It is nice that some of you remember him. On one of the bigger salt water fishing sites out there there was scant mention of him and the thread has fallen to the bottom replaced by the ever life important discussions of what VS reel to buy and which is the best fishing show. It is sad to see that when some of us die we are but a footnote in fishing history and the memory is barely recognized. I say this as one of the old folks who is in the autumn years of my life. Maybe that's why I am more sensitive to things like this. My .02. That's one of the things I like about this site. You folks care about things like this. Thank you for the memorial surfstix.

hookedonbass
01-16-2015, 09:02 AM
X2!

surfstix1963
01-17-2015, 06:20 AM
Yes Bass Buddah when we die it's blank who???? Humanity sure has changed it is all about #1.

DarkSkies
01-17-2015, 09:27 AM
You all make a very important point.

It's hard to make without getting people offended, but I have noticed it as well.
There is a lot of talk about outrage about striper populations.
Outrage over loss of jetties and fishing access.
Outrage over changes in regulations........

There is so much talk about these things on the internet, it's overwheiming at times.
You would think we as fishermen are passionate, and involved.
But we're not.....many fishermen are just that....all talk on the internet....
when it comes time to stand up and be counted, Apathy reigns supreme.

What is the connection to that here?
I mention it because when someone passes, as some of you mentioned, they are quickly forgotten......
We have (collectively) become very selfish as a society...very self centered.........

I don't want to single any one person or site out....I don't think that's fair...
But it's something I've been noticing over the past 10 years or so.....

I also don't want to take away from the nice remembrances you people wrote here....about Carl Richey and the good experiences you have had fishing his lures......
Some of his plugs are almost always in my bag....:thumbsup:

In the days of the super duper "magic plugs"...the custom wood...and the insanely detailed creations which catch more fishermen than fish.....
His plugs stand out as tried and true, legacy presentations....and will catch plenty of large fish when they are feeding on different forage.....

As finchaser always says...
Elephants eat peanuts.....

I thank Carl, for his contributions to the fishing world...
Deepest thoughts and condolences to his family and friends.......

hookset
01-17-2015, 09:42 AM
Very well-said, SS and DS. I agree the memories fade to quickly.
RIP and T&P. Here is an article about one of his best the redfin. Caught many back bay fish on those and in the surf on loaded redfins.
http://www.lurenet.com/blog/fish-red-fins-on-top-for-big-bass

Monty
01-17-2015, 11:12 AM
May he RIP.
The Smoky Joe Red Fin is the only plug in my bag all the time. Both sizes and loaded. Without a doubt the plug I have the most confidence in. He is a true legend in the fishing community.

baitstealer
01-18-2015, 11:36 AM
That's one of the things I like about this site. You folks care about things like this. Thank you for the memorial surfstix.

I didn't know him but I feel the same way about this site have learned a lot from in and you guys so thank you. It seems like this man gave a lot. kudos for that and may he rip.