PDA

View Full Version : Stripers Forever 2014 Survey Results

finchaser
01-15-2015, 09:38 AM
Stripers Forever

Dear Bob,

The results Stripers Forever 2014 Annual Fishing Survey are compiled. In 2014 we received 830 responses to our annual survey. 84% of the respondents, have fished for stripers for more than 10 years. This is a very experienced sample of the angling population, many of them fished for stripers throughout the good years of the 1990s and early 2000s then the subsequent decline. This year?s survey has again produced a good representative sampling of sentiments from fishers all along the striper?s migratory range, and as usual MA and NJ vied for the greatest contributions with 206 and 199 completed surveys respectively.

2014 was another year of declining fishing experiences. 88% of fishers reported catching fewer fish compared to just 2% reporting catching more. Also, 71% said they were catching smaller fish compared to only 15% claiming they were larger. It seems evident that most of the older, larger fish from the great year classes of the 1990s and early 2000s have been removed from the population leaving us with smaller fish and many less fish from the poor year classes that have generally characterized the fishery since 2003.

The survey shows that our members continue to believe we should not be harvesting large, breeding stripers, that they want to set aside a high percentage of the current commercial catch for conservation ? and not harvest it themselves ? and that they are willing to buy a stamp to finance the buyout of the commercial fishery.

We had survey results from 77 guides, which is down from 89 last year. Without a doubt the decline in striper fishing is hurting this valuable industry as well as the related fishing tourism and tackle businesses. The guides know how to fish their areas, though, and can usually produce the best results possible from their home waters. If you are thinking about a guided trip please check out the guides and tackle shops listed on the Stripers Forever website.

We will send this information to the press and to fishery policy makers everywhere. We hope that you will use this information personally to help us advocate for the goal of coast-wide striped bass game fish. Please share the results with your local fishing club, home town newspaper, and elected officials that you may know.

Please follow this link to the 2014 Annual Angler Survey post on our website. The complete 20 page PDF of the 2014 Annual Angler Survey is available at the bottom of the post. You will also find both the questions and the responses listed by state. Comments we received from both anglers and guides are included; as usual there were some very good ones, and they have not been edited. Another PDF document entitled Key Comparisons is also found at the bottom of the post. Key Comparisons graphs out the answers to some particularly important questions. The questions that we use have been the same for the ten years we have been doing the survey.

If you have any questions about the survey please don?t hesitate to e-mail us at stripers@stripersforever.org​

Thank you for your participation,

Brad Burns, President Stripers Forever

albiealert
01-15-2015, 11:54 AM
84% of the respondents, have fished for stripers for more than 10 years. This is a very experienced sample of the angling population, many of them fished for stripers throughout the good years of the 1990s and early 2000s then the subsequent decline. This year?s survey has again produced a good representative sampling of sentiments from fishers all along the striper?s migratory range, and as usual MA and NJ vied for the greatest contributions with 206 and 199 completed surveys respectively.

2014 was another year of declining fishing experiences. 88% of fishers reported catching fewer fish compared to just 2% reporting catching more. Also, 71% said they were catching smaller fish compared to only 15% claiming they were larger. It seems evident that most of the older, larger fish from the great year classes of the 1990s and early 2000s have been removed from the population leaving us with smaller fish and many less fish from the poor year classes that have generally characterized the fishery since 2003.

You see all the back and forth on various websites. Then you see how he lays it out here. Statistics don't lie. Only 2% of striper fishermen report more catches. Thanks for sharing those results.
I don't travel a lot to fish, mainly a few local rivers in CT. There are some big fish when the bunker are in but the thing I have noticed is that they are more concentrated at different times a year. I am by no means an expert compared to some of you folks here. I don't fish regularly I fish when I can. I suppose if I got out more I would catch more. Family and work definitely prevent me from fishing more. What they said there seems reasonable to me though.

7deadlyplugs
01-15-2015, 11:59 AM
You see all the back and forth on various websites. Then you see how he lays it out here. Statistics don't lie. Only 2% of striper fishermen report more catches. Thanks for sharing those results.

Wow I did not know that. Thank you sir.

VSdreams
01-15-2015, 12:09 PM
Thanks for sharing. You would have to be the village idiot to come out and say there is nothing wrong with the stripers right now. My uncle used to go to Hatteras every year in the winter to surf fish. He told us great stories. I asked him over Christmas if he was going and he said "no striper in the winter surf at hatteras anymore, why bother"

BassBuddah
01-16-2015, 08:52 AM
^^^ Some folks continue to claim the bass are all migrating offshore. These are usually comprised of a group of commercial netters or charter folks. They want you to believe that the naked emperor prancing through the streets has clothes on. The emperor has no clothes. It's obvious but a small majority feel if they lie about it enough and are vocal then naive folks will believe it.