PDA

View Full Version : Manasquan inlet footage

finchaser
01-26-2015, 07:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84503534&v=8qbgpe53r7I&feature=player_embedded& x-yt-ts=1421914688#t=0 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84503534&v=8qbgpe53r7I&feature=player_embedded&x-yt-ts=1421914688#t=0)

cowherder
01-26-2015, 07:23 PM
Nothing like real time footage. Take a look at 0:19 secs into the video. Is it just me or does the ocean look awfully close to those condos?

jigfreak
01-26-2015, 07:34 PM
I'm not sure if that area was one of the replenished spots. Maybe someone else can answer that. The ugly truth is - no matter how much you sink into beach replenishment, the noreasters will take some back. And there is nothing you, I, nor the fancy pants goofball ACOE engineers from the gummint can do squat about that.

cowherder
01-26-2015, 07:36 PM
Yeah I agree you can't fight mother nature!

surferman
01-26-2015, 07:49 PM
Surf's up, how come no footage of surfers?:kooky:
thanks for sharing

finchaser
01-26-2015, 08:38 PM
it was replenished that's a solid steel wall about to be exposed in only 2 northeasters

DarkSkies
01-27-2015, 08:23 AM
^ I don't want to get involved in any beach replenishment arguments....I don't have the time to keep constantly up to date like I used to. I'm saying this without pointing fingers......Although the jetties aren't involved as much in Ocean County as in Monmouth, I have noticed a renewed gripe among fishermen about how bad it is that we are losing our jetties, and how the fishermen will suffer.

Just wanted to mention, that finchaser was pointing things like this out, 2 years ago. :thumbsup:

He and the old farts in the clubs he belongs to were some of the ones that actually went to the meetings, reported on the progress, and asked for others to get involved.......

Some of these meetings, you were lucky if 30-40 people showed up.....and we all know there are hundreds of thousands of saltwater fishermen in New Jersey, and upwards of several million throughout the East Coast.......

Now.......as it is being done and our beloved Access is permanently changed, there seems to be a renewed interest......
Realistically speaking....it's much too late for that......

My Activist friends in South Jersey also painted a bleak picture of what it would be like, by sharing their own experiences......years ago when there was time to ask for alternatives to be studied, meetings where fishermen input was needed, were very sparsely attended......

Many who fish South Jersey beaches now.....know full well the impact of that beach replenishment......because the fish don't come into the flat, featureless surf that regularly any more......save for key weeks during the Spring and Fall migration.......

SurfRob and others have mentioned this several times........
Rob, I bet this is a far cry from the fishing you used to do up when you were in the Sea Bright area......and the fishing structure was so much better....of course, this was decades ago, far away from the experience of most surf fishermen today.....

Even the inshore rock formations of Deal, Long Branch, and other similar "pieces" within site of shore have been damaged in the quest to formulate a "one size fits all" plan for beach replenishment.....

So far, the way we go about things, and our general approach to beach replenishment....does not work....
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?9708-Beach-Rich-Fish-Poor

The most admirable exceptions are places like Midway Beach, and other small areas where the towns have taken it upon themselves to figure out the most natural and cost effective ways.......
(These usually involve dunes, and obstructing of some of the view deemed unacceptable by some property owners...despite the proven benefits.......)

So as some of ya's pointed out.....
Mother Nature wins every Winter.......because part of the process, in forming the plan, should have been to discover the best ways to work with nature, seasonal weather patterns....and the natural current and sand flow, instead of working against it.

One way to overcome that would be exploring which ones are working best now, and trying to mimic them.....there are at least two problems with this:

1. Army Corps will never listen
2. Fishermen will probably never unite in groups big enough to make an overall difference with Alternatives to beach replenishment......
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?9435-Beach-Replenishment-Alternatives

I do miss your threads and rants though hope you are OK.

OK, that's my rant for the month....
I don't pretend that I have the solutions to solve it all......just trying to raise the point that we could be better off, by adapting different solutions for different environments......:idea:

DarkSkies
01-27-2015, 08:37 AM
Just one example....

Fin has pointed out they dredge the Manasquan Inlet every year....and every year sand piles up in the north side and pocket.......
Maybe if they were to study a different jetty configuration, like an "L" instead of a straight perpendicular set, or different rock configuration, fitting the natural flow of sand into the equation.... it could be different......

Again, I don't pretend to be an expert here....just pointing out that some of the ways things are being done...are not working.....

and are very profitable to some (politically connected) groups who have these dredging contracts, doing the exact same work, over and over.......
If more folks got involved when finchaser and the old farts were trying to raise awareness, and garner actual support....this could be a different scenario today.....:learn:

Carry on people....:HappyWave:

clamchucker
01-27-2015, 09:01 AM
.just pointing out that some of the ways things are being done...are not working.....

and are very profitable to some (politically connected) groups who have these dredging contracts, doing the exact same work, over and over.......

I think you hit the nail on the head here dark skies. The barnegat inlet has had similar problems. I think it is longer than the manasquan. This may have helped and should have been in the Corps original analysis. This size difference might be part of the reason why the regular maintenance is less. Folks need to remember there is usually some manintenance that will always be required with inlets. They just had to rebuild the north side of the barnegat. Most of that was due to sandy storm damage I believe.

fishinmission78
01-27-2015, 09:08 AM
Agree with this guys. Another thing that would have helped would have been when there was a breech at the mantoloking bridge they should have tried to find a way to keep the bridge and at the same time create a new inlet there. Someone in power would have to use eminent domain and condemn all the property there. I know Christie has balls. Prob not big enough to get that done tho. It would have helped cleanse the Barny bay and probably helped with sand shifting. my .02

seamonkey
01-27-2015, 09:12 AM
My Activist friends in South Jersey also painted a bleak picture of what it would be like, by sharing their own experiences......years ago when there was time to ask for alternatives to be studied, meetings where fishermen input was needed, were very sparsely attended......

Many who fish South Jersey beaches now.....know full well the impact of that beach replenishment......because the fish don't come into the flat, featureless surf that regularly any more......save for key weeks during the Spring and Fall migration.......

SurfRob and others have mentioned this several times........

Yeah I'm one of the ones that have mentioned it!:HappyWave:
That's why it's so important to find the cuts and fish near the inlets now. Lots of the beach parts have no structure. Vast wasteland.

bababooey
01-27-2015, 09:45 AM
Agree with this guys. Another thing that would have helped would have been when there was a breech at the mantoloking bridge they should have tried to find a way to keep the bridge and at the same time create a new inlet there. Someone in power would have to use eminent domain and condemn all the property there. I know Christie has balls. Prob not big enough to get that done tho. It would have helped cleanse the Barny bay and probably helped with sand shifting. my .02

X2. The inlet was there originally. They should have taken it as an omen when it broke through again. The bay would be a lot cleaner and more convenient for boating access. Its too big a bay only to have those 2 inlets in such a big stretch. Going through the canal on a full moon tide is a PIA as well.

VSdreams
01-27-2015, 11:02 AM
Does anyone know if it's still snowing down in manasquan?

finchaser
01-27-2015, 12:26 PM
just stopped

VSdreams
01-27-2015, 05:38 PM
Thank you sir. Was going to take a ride there to check out the waves but the honey do list got in the way.