Thread: New guy here

Default New guy here

Hi,

I'm Scott and grew up in Port Jefferson NY. Our house was literally 200 yard from the harbor and I always remember fishing and being near the water as a kid. I still live within 5 miles of the house I grew up in. I still enjoy fishing and spent any chance I can surf casting on the beaches of the north shore of Long Island. I'm married for 27 years and have three sons (only one sort of enjoys fishing -LOL) and now a grandson. The sons and I always enjoyed the outdoors and all very involved in Boy Scouts...one son made to Eagle Scout! I look forward to sharing my passion for surf casting and learning every thing I can from this forum!

Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails STRIPER.jpg  

Welcome Scott..
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Nice bass guy welcome aboard.

welcome. I have 4 kids. Three are girls and my youngest is a boy and I thought finally- a fishing buddy...not!

Hey welcome to the site Scott. It's a good bunch of people here. I have learned a lot from the forums. Especially the surf fishing one. Look forward to your posts.

Welcome aboard Scott. Nice pic.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Welcome Scott!! Nice bass...Watch out for the smelly guy(DS) and the grouchy old guys here!! HAHAHA Obviously just kidding its a really great bunch on here with loads of knowledge!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blazin420 View Post
    Welcome Scott!! Nice bass...Watch out for the smelly guy(DS) and the grouchy old guys here!! HAHAHA Obviously just kidding its a really great bunch on here with loads of knowledge!!!
    No hes not kidding. There is one guy darkskies that sleeps in portable toilets. Weird! And this old grouch finchaser. Another old grouch surfstix. They are crabbier than crab salad don't cross them or stand downwind of them it will be brutal. sorry dark don't ban me I had to follow blazings lead here! Welcome Scott will be nice to hear some NY fishing stories.

Welcome Scott. The smelly guy (DS) is real

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Ouch that was cold! I believe finchaser speaks the truth. Don't let finchaser scare you about our fearless leader tho. I only met dark once, he got me into a nice blitz, along with that guy rip something or other. Alledegly he doesnt fish the daylight hours so if you never fish at night you would never have to smell him lol. Actually hes not a bad guy we just like to bust his balls because it's so easy. He did give me a few plugs so I can say hes generous too. If you ever fish in jersey pm us and we'll show you around. lots of long walks to the fishing grounds in some places but there are still some pretty cool places to find stripers and blues. Welcome aboard and nice fish!

Hey welcome to s&a scott. Looking forward to some more pics and stories.

Port Jefferson is that part of the north or south shore of long island?

Welcome Scott and best of luck this season.

Congrats on your son making Eagle Scout that is quite a challenge! Welcome aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Welcome Scott. The smelly guy (DS) is real

Despite being old, crusty, crabby, grouchy, ornery, sullen, blunt, and generally an all around grouchy basstid....Fin is one of the old salts I talk about all the time......Scott, you or anyone else could learn a lot from his posts.....just do a search on his name.....he's probably forgotten more about fishing, than many of us would care to know.....
    And he did all his learning before there was the internet to make it as easy as it is today....

Welcome aboard Scott.....
    Pay no mind to the rumors about me....(most) of them are delusional exaggerations and hype.....I take a shower daily. Sometimes I don't get a chance to do that when I'm on the road on a nomad trip chasing after the fish during the migration. I did take a nap in a porta john (once)....can't seem to live it down though......

The one ya want to watch out for here is Monty.....
    If you fish LI you're likely to encounter a crazy fisherman one night, wandering the beaches....drool coming out of his mouth like a rabid dog......muttering something incomprehensible about
    "Jersey S*cks! .....Where is the White water?.....I need the White water!...."
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...-Water-to-Fish

Should ya ever encounter a guy like that.......you might chat a bit....remember to keep your distance....he's very unstable at times........but a good fisherman........

If you learn anything here....there are lots of good folks and hardcore fishermen....some great advice in the threads....
    it's that we like to have fun and don't take life or ourselves too seriously...because we know too well how short life can be.....and how important it is to try to balance family, work, and our fishing pursuits......

I fish all over LI as well......
    The North Shore is one of the most beautiful areas....rocky and isolated structure..fertile grounds for bait and predators.....it's paradise, albeit tough to access with the parking restrictions.......
    Maybe we'll fish a tide together this season.....
    Best wishes to you and your family.......

Port Jeff is on the north shore and pretty much right on the center of Long Island.

Welcome to s&a scott! Nice trying to get your kids into fishing. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. They are so focused on the phones and online games nowadays it's hard to try to get them interested in other things.

Quote Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
    Welcome to s&a scott! Nice trying to get your kids into fishing. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. They are so focused on the phones and online games nowadays it's hard to try to get them interested in other things.
    x2 for sure. Kids would be lost without their cell phones.

I don't fish the north shore a lot. Mostly little neck bay in the spring. Then its jbay in may and montauk and shinnecock for the rest of the year. Welcome aboard nice to have you here.