Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Long Island Fishing Reports Thread

Default 2015 Long Island Fishing Reports Thread

Post them up here.

Congrats on getting out Nitestrikes and getting a bend in the rod for 2015. My first trip is next Saturday night, looking forward to hitting the beach again.

Quote Originally Posted by nitestrikes View Post
    I fished 2 times this weekend friday and sunday towards the top of the tide. Ocean side. Friday I picked up one runt on a bucktail and pork. Sunday it was windier and cold. Nothing for me.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

[White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)

Future Long Islander ]

Hold everything.....someone clued me in to Monty's change in TagLine....

Surfstix...if you read this...
    Don't put your house on the market.....

Talked to Monty last night....
    He has finally gone off the edge.....
    He was mumbling something about buying your house....and sweetening the deal by overpaying and throwing in about 5 k worth of useless big wood and 12" sluggos he has lying around.....

I think we have a live one here....
    Reach out to him...add another 10k to the asking price.....
    I think he may just bite.....he's so hooked he was mapping out LIRR and LIE commuting routes to me last night....
    He is totally in LI already....
    No hope for him at all.....

Call him up while he's still hot on the deal....
    Might work out for the both of ya's...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    [White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)

Future Long Islander ]
    Hold everything.....someone clued me in to Monty's change in TagLine....

Surfstix...if you read this...
    Don't put your house on the market.....

Talked to Monty last night....
    He has finally gone off the edge.....
    Dark, snap out of it!!! Back to reality!!!!
    This thread is a serious Long Island Reports thread.
    Please only post reports here or I will need to take some sort of action.

Post Long Island/NJ non reports stuff here http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...J-Can-S**K-it!

Long Island Reports only going further on this thread (you jerseyites are just out of control sometimes).

Default ss

Fished the ss last nite near a popular inlet. Thought it would be crawling with rat bass. According to my logs its a good spot for the 3rd week of april which we are in now. The wind was tough though almost wanted to quit and give up. did manage to fish for almost an hour. Got one runty bass quick release. Bucktail and pork.

Fished the sound for the first time this morning 1:00 to 7:30.
    In mid season form, missed a hit on a bucktail and another on a rebel.
    Skunk on my first trip of 2015, was great getting out and checking out new water.
    Beautiful night, covered a good amount of beach.
    Saw many small pods of bunker, even foul hooked one.

^Monty...I have to give you credit for going out and trying places you have never been to before....
    Nice job, at least you tried an unknown area.....

Without running to a place where there was a facebook fishing report from..
    Without chasing reports...
    Without even having the slightest clue as to the water and structure you'll be facing other than a quick scan on Google Earth....

Yes I will still bust your balls about abandoning NJ...
    But have to give you respect for your Nomad Spirit....
    I am ready to turn over my Nomad title to you...

The first time you do an overnight in your vehicle...and eat yesterday's sammich for breakfast.....I will abdicate my title and hand it over.....
    You don't even have to nap in a porto john to qualify.

What do ya say, Pal?
    Are you up for it?

so what's better for early July fishing? Jones Beach or Robert Moses SP?

ones, like, 20 minutes from where I sit, and the other 30 (as the crow flies... or at 4AM, any other time of day probably 2 hrs each way)

Summer doldrums warm water I'd work the inlets on the first two hours of incoming.The earlier the better before the crowds hit the beach and scare everything out of there.SP is a zoo in July,Moses you may get lucky depends on the access.Don't fish Jones so can't help you out there.State access for Gilgo is a better shot.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Thanks, I'll have to decipher what you said havin NO familiarity with this area.

One surprise is to read the words "summer doldrums" about early July fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    Summer doldrums warm water I'd work the inlets on the first two hours of incoming.The earlier the better before the crowds hit the beach and scare everything out of there.SP is a zoo in July,Moses you may get lucky depends on the access.Don't fish Jones so can't help you out there.State access for Gilgo is a better shot.
    Good advice. Spot on I agree.

Fished the SS yesterday 6-8:30pm. Picked up 2 runts on clams. There was a few other caught up and down the beach. Mostly about 1 hour before sunset. Slow pick but they are there. Tight lines fellas.

Fished Long Island Sound 1:00 - 9:00 this morning.
    Ka-Skunked big time.
    Saw no bait, water felt very cold.
    Had weeds on the ebb and water was murky on the flood.
    Great night out, excellent casting practice, lots of exercise walking.
    O for 2 trips for 2015 so far. I should be in decent shape physically if I ever catch a fish again.
    May head out front next trip, miss the white water......my bath tub has more wave action than the sound.
    Decent sunrise.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    O for 2 trips for 2015 so far. I should be in decent shape physically if I ever catch a fish again.
    May head out front next trip, miss the white water......my bath tub has more wave action than the sound.
    Decent sunrise.

The sound is different than other places to the south. You have the western shores which are very congested and urban. Little Neck Bay for example. great early season spot. Also can get very crowded and filled wth trash. The further east you go the less riff raff you will find. It is very peaceful fishing but all about the small bait. When the spearing and rainfish move through the fish move through with them. Also the cinder worm hatches can be exciting and frustrating unless you are a fly fisherman. Try not to think too much about white water. Think moving water current and structure. All those will help you. Enjoyed the report. I started fishing the sshore last week and have pulled in a few schoolies on buck and pork so far. I will not drive north to the sound till mid may. Maybe try one of the inlets next time. good luck

Another week or so the blues should be popping up in the back bays.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Spot on surfstix. They are just starting to show. Fished a wss beach yesterday afternoon. Got a mess of them up to 7 pounds on buck and pork. Incoming tide. One small striper too about 23". all released

Got some too. South shore near an intlet 6-8:30pm. Started using storm shads that was a big mistake. Switched to 1 oz with pork rind and it was a steady of pick until dark. Fish were close to the bottom. No bait or fish showing on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Fished Long Island Sound 1:00 - 9:00 this morning.
    Ka-Skunked big time.
    Saw no bait, water felt very cold.
    Had weeds on the ebb and water was murky on the flood.
    Great night out, excellent casting practice, lots of exercise walking.
    Decent sunrise.

Never leave fish (NJ) to find fish

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Ouch! Them's fighting words! In before the thread gets locked! I'll sell the popcorn.

So true - just one question monty. I mean those sunrise pics are beautiful and all that but where are the fish on long island? We have gigaNDA BLUES here in NJ right now. Dude you really should check them out they are a lot of fun. My arms are still sore from last night. Getting ready to go out there again tonight. My .02 only

^^^^^ we we do have fish just a lot of small runts right now. The water is still cold. Another 2 weeks and it should be game on.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post

Just looking for new water to fish, some people call it scouting...I am fishing...just not catching

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    Ouch! Them's fighting words! In before the thread gets locked! I'll sell the popcorn.

So true - just one question monty. I mean those sunrise pics are beautiful and all that but where are the fish on long island? We have gigaNDA BLUES here in NJ right now. Dude you really should check them out they are a lot of fun. My arms are still sore from last night. Getting ready to go out there again tonight. My .02 only
    I am pretty confident I'll get into some Gators sometime this year. Had them multiple times on LI last year.
    Glad you guys are having a great time with them.
    Enjoying my time out there finding new locations and getting lots and lots of exercise. Will start catching soon.......I think

Quote Originally Posted by williehookem View Post
    ^^^^^ we we do have fish just a lot of small runts right now. The water is still cold. Another 2 weeks and it should be game on.
    Looking forward to another fun year on The Island

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast