Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Long Island Fishing Reports Thread

Inlets and back bays should have some fish in certain areas now.I'm not fishing right now so I'm going on memory which isn't so great anymore.One bridge out in the easterly direction should have blues on the incoming early a.m. popping plugs will do the job white or silver in color usually, pink if the squid are in the bay.The area can be crowded though but everyone can work in sync together for the most part.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

RM is generally a bait spot in July 4wd permit needed.SP I'm referring to Smiths Point further east of RM Just a hangout in the Summer out front due to their day tripping permits it is an early a.m. spot and then get out of there or hit the inlet,I'll take that beach over Montauk any day in the fall Suffolk County green key and 4wd permit required.All access is dependent upon our little bird friends nesting
    Quote Originally Posted by surfrob View Post
    Thanks, I'll have to decipher what you said havin NO familiarity with this area.

One surprise is to read the words "summer doldrums" about early July fishing.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Fished ocean side this AM from 1:15-9:00.
    Absolutely crazy fog, got lost for a bit out there ....maybe longer than a bit...sand moved around big time from last year, missed the area I was looking for (walked right by it) which led to a weird hour plus of "where the f*** am I.
    Only managed one short bass on a loaded red fin around 1:30.
    Did not see any bait.
    Was great being out there, especially good when the sun came up and could actually get an idea of what was out there and what the structure looks like this year.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    RM is generally a bait spot in July 4wd permit needed.SP I'm referring to Smiths Point further east of RM Just a hangout in the Summer out front due to their day tripping permits it is an early a.m. spot and then get out of there or hit the inlet,I'll take that beach over Montauk any day in the fall Suffolk County green key and 4wd permit required.All access is dependent upon our little bird friends nesting
    gotcha... thanks for the clarifications!

Got caught in the RM fog?
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Fished ocean side this AM from 1:15-9:00.
    Absolutely crazy fog, got lost for a bit out there ....maybe longer than a bit...sand moved around big time from last year, missed the area I was looking for (walked right by it) which led to a weird hour plus of "where the f*** am I.
    Only managed one short bass on a loaded red fin around 1:30.
    Did not see any bait.
    Was great being out there, especially good when the sun came up and could actually get an idea of what was out there and what the structure looks like this year.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Got caught in the RM fog?
    Caught....displaced..yes.
    Was confused when the wave action was behind me when I had not walked around the end. At least I did not think I did. Weird fishing trip.

yeah crazy place in the fog I've ended up walking and ended up on the bay side a few times haven't seen it over there this year been down south house shopping and visiting my BIL in the hospital.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Picked up a few schoolies bucktailing a ss inlet from 3:30-5:30 am today. Also 2 large blues in the 10pound class.

yeah crazy place in the fog I've ended up walking and ended up on the bay side a few times haven't seen it over there this yea.
    Fog has been very intense the last week.

Well....fished from 1:15-10:30 this morning.
    Out front until 8:30, not a touch.
    Water really got cloudy on the incoming.
    And then the fog rolled in
    Was about ready to call it a trip, but tried an area on the back side for 30 minutes, nothing.
    One more try at another backside spot and FINALLY I get a few blues, landed 7 between 28 and 32 inches.
    Was great getting a nice bend in the rod, love catching blues this size. Didn't see any bait the whole trip.

Here is a pic of a Blue on one of Rip-Pluggers metal lips. Always more fun on catching on a friends plug.

Nice looking blue. They are all over now good to bend the rod. Can't wait for some stripes too.

Got tired of waiting for the striper and got into some nice bluefish right before dark SS inlet. No bait showing at all but the blue devils were there. Pulled a bakers dozen to 10lbs on tins and buck and pork. Lots o fun.

Fished this morning from 1:00 to 8:00 with a friend.
    First on the back side until 4:30 or so.
    New water for us, managed one 30" blue on a SS bottle.
    Moved around to front for first light, got a short bass on the same SS bottle.
    Then some blue action for a few hours, wind a bit in the face, nice looking water, needed to be out on the bar to get to them.
    I got 3 more, he landed at least 8. They were 25" to 35", on poppers and darters mostly. Droped and missed some.
    Lots of fun out there, had the beach to ourselves, great time.
    Clean cool white water

Nice action Monty.

I have a blue superstrike bottle plug that I have owned for like 10 years now and never caught a fish on it.

I think it's cursed!

^ Yes those SS bottles are definitely cursed, JB. You probably got a defective run from the factory.
    They have bad mojo. The best thing to do is take every one that you have...box it up...and send it to me....I will make sure I dispose of them properly for ya.....

Nice work Monty....glad to hear you guys got into some fish....

No disrespect but that doesn't look like a SS bottle plug

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Nice action Monty.
    I have a blue superstrike bottle plug that I have owned for like 10 years now and never caught a fish on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Nice work Monty....glad to hear you guys got into some fish....
    Was fun, wasn't like every cast was a Blue, had to work a bit for them (which makes it better). Tried different plugs and metal, my friend had a Choopy pink darter, it seemed that was easily the hottest plug.
    I have been using the SS bottle more (since late last year especially), its been catching a few fish since I started using it (obviously it was useless when I left it home).

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    No disrespect but that doesn't look like a SS bottle plug

That's a rip-plugger plug, pic from previous weekend.
    Hope all is well, you doing any fishing?
    Hope you aren't on the Darskies one way trip to Uranus Hiatus.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Was fun, wasn't like every cast was a Blue, had to work a bit for them (which makes it better). Tried different plugs and metal, my friend had a Choopy pink darter, it seemed that was easily the hottest plug.
    I have been using the SS bottle more (since late last year especially), its been catching a few fish since I started using it (obviously it was useless when I left it home).

That's a rip-plugger plug, pic from previous weekend.
    Hope all is well, you doing any fishing?
    Hope you aren't on the Darskies one way trip to Uranus hiatus.
    A little here and there I fished in our club tournament and caught a 16# bass in the rain the Thursday night

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

^ And I think he might have caught that bass while we were fishing together.

Fished backside of a ss inlet this morning. Waves out front were too gnarly with the east wind. Picked up a handful of cocktail blues. Pig and jig combo.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast