Thread: Kayak Trips and Fishing Reports 2015

Hybrid View

fished barny bay behind the lighthouse in the yak. I picked up a couple bunker to soak while I bucktailed and through other various lures. Water temp was 47 degrees. I paddled around and found a nice drop off by a buoy. I marked small pods of fish there and tried to anchor as close as I could but the current kept pulling me of anchor so I had to let more anchor line out to hold and then I was kind of too far. I threw bunker at them and bucktails with pork. No takers. I moved up towards a sand bar in towards the inlet because the current was causing a rip. Figured that would be a good ambush spot for predators so I went that way and did not mark any fish. Something caught my eye on the sandbar, a large dark mass. Went over to check it out, it was moving so I knew it was something. Large school of baitfish? couple of stingrays perhaps. I paddled over to it and was completely on top of it in 3.4 feet of water and that's when I saw its huge tail. Sand shark. Oh about 5 to 8 feet long. It did not seem to care about me but I did not want to give it a chance to so I got out of there.

went over to sege island - wind picked up then it was a fight to beat the wind and current to get back to where I launched. took me a long time. I ended up beaching towards the tip of the dike and wheeling my kayak all the way back.

It was a great workout I can say that!

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    went over to sege island - wind picked up then it was a fight to beat the wind and current to get back to where I launched. took me a long time. I ended up beaching towards the tip of the dike and wheeling my kayak all the way back.

It was a great workout I can say that!
    Wow sounds better than cardio! Thanks for the report must of been great to go by that sand shark and you didn't spook it either.

^^^^^ The shark spooked me LOL! I actually still can't believe I was a foot or so from his head. As soon as I realized it was a shark I started paddling. Not franticly but with some urgency to get out of there. I looked back to see if he was following me but he could care less.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150425_142236.jpg  

Eli's report from April 25....
    (Note that he doesn't give up...he was out on April 23 and didn't do that great...only a few small fish...
    That didn't deter him, and 2 days later he ran into some nice fish.....he also reports that the bluefish are all over on the flats where he was...lost a lot of rubber to them)

All pics and report courtesy of Eli...

[His Report...
    Fished Raritan yesterday, jigging-casting-and trolling 6" paddletail shads accounted for about 15 fish into the mid thirty inch range. Bottom of the outgoing produced best, all fish released.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4-25 E2.jpg   4-25 E1.jpg  

Hey you guys should check this out. Eliasv just posted on youtube. I don't know a lot about kyaking but he is the man. I have been following his reports for years. He is always on the fish.

My brother was ******** himself on the kayak yesterday. Had a seal that was hanging around him for a little while.