Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for May 2015 - www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Nice going guys. I fished moco after work today just finished now. There was barely any activity or fishermen where I was they must have been a good bite somewhere else. I tossed shads and avas and then played around with a popper and sp for awhile. Caught one short striper on a white shad. Then a bluefish about 5 lbs after that destroyed the shad so I stopped and went to the plugs. Nothing after that. The ocean was like a lake, maybe too calm?

OC this morning 5-7 before work. Some nice blues in the water eating bunker chunks. Got em to 10# before I had to leave for work.

Nice going on the bluefish! I was on the front ocean side of lbi today. Got one short striper on clams. then about a half hour before I was going to leave I had a massive hit that almost took my pole out of the holder! I ran to get it and hooked it good. It was a good fight for about 30 secs. It was on the bottom and wouldn't move. I thought it was a cownose ray or a giant striper. Then it started moving and I had to run down the beach with it. This only lasted for about another 30 secs and then the line broke. It came in cut clean. I had 30 lb braid and a 50lb leader and this fish cut right through it! I think it must of been a giant bluefish but I never knew bluefish to eat clam. Do you guys know what this fish could of been if it wasnt a big gorilla? thanks

Two of us fished OC 2pm - 8pm and had a pick of blues up to 10 pounds. We caught all our fish on metal. Did not see any visible bait.

Quote Originally Posted by fishrich View Post
    Did not see any visible bait.
    That's the interesting thing. Have not seen too much bait when I'm fishing other than the occasional bunker. The fish are still there though. Fished OC above the park this morning from 4-7 am near high tide. No bait showing but picked up one 27" bass and a few nice blues to 9# on a yellow SP.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    That's the interesting thing. Have not seen too much bait when I'm fishing other than the occasional bunker. The fish are still there though. Fished OC above the park this morning from 4-7 am near high tide. No bait showing but picked up one 27" bass and a few nice blues to 9# on a yellow SP.
    Good night last night fished 8-1230am...Managed 12 bass dropped 4 and missed a bunch nothing huge biggest went 26in...Finally had some bait other then some bunker show up..These fish were feeding on big spearing snagged 1 after my first fish...Switched my offering to a 4in mag darter and my olive/white/black teaser...They were all over it...If you didnt match the spearing profile ya didnt catch!! Thats why ALWAYS no matter what time of year will fish a teaser!! Fun night! pic of the 26in
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150515_213145.jpg   20150515_215106.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Blazin420 View Post
    ..These fish were feeding on big spearing snagged 1 after my first fish...Switched my offering to a 4in mag darter and my olive/white/black teaser...They were all over it...If you didnt match the spearing profile ya didnt catch!! Thats why ALWAYS no matter what time of year will fish a teaser!!
    Great report, congrats on the action.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by Blazin420 View Post
    Good night last night fished 8-1230am...Managed 12 bass dropped 4 and missed a bunch nothing huge biggest went 26in...Finally had some bait other then some bunker show up..These fish were feeding on big spearing snagged 1 after my first fish...Switched my offering to a 4in mag darter and my olive/white/black teaser...They were all over it...If you didnt match the spearing profile ya didnt catch!! Thats why ALWAYS no matter what time of year will fish a teaser!! Fun night! pic of the 26in
    I noticed something similar in moco this morning. The surf had been dead for the last few days. Today there were spearing in the wash and a flurry of activity. Managed 4 little guys around sunrise on a small ava. Nice work blazing sounds like you had fun.

Nice going fellas. I was out last night. Couldnt do too much on the fishing. Only 2 small blues on an sp. did find a lot of dead stuff though. NY is going to get crushed by NJ this year!

Things have really died down in the big D so I went to cape may this morning from 5-9. The water looked pretty good. Not a lot of action where I was. I managed 1 skate one dogfish and 2 short stripers. I did see a guy get a nice bass around 40 inches. It was the only one that size I saw caught all morning. We were all using fresh clams.

Picked up a few blues at first light in occo today. Small metal and teaser. They slowed down when it got light out.

Coming off a 2 day fishing bender , ouch im sore, SNJ the big bass are in and Big Blues live i never seen before in that area to the south. Plugged up 10 or so Bass to 25 lbs had to cast all night then they would wander in periodically, if you put in the work you were rewarded. One of the highlights was me and 2 friends had a triple header, talk about a traffic jam with those 20plus going everywhich way Thursday before dark blues blitzed then friday night there was a 20 min big bass bunker blitz just out of range only one caught during that spurt but got the blood flowing watching those bunkies go airborn and spraying, saw 2 cormorants like dead in the flurry looking for an easy bunkie but hey man you look like topwater plug !

man you guys are doing great!
    I fished the jetty on Friday took a nice fall, cracked my phone and sliced the tip of my pinky almost all the way off LOL. That's what I get for walking on the jetty and talking on the phone at the same time!
    Was going to mix things up and go trout fishing yesterday but talked my family into hitting the beach. My MIL's boyfriend has a house in LBI and they have been inviting us down. Turns out there are two nice holes at the end of their street. Ended up with one blue about 8 lbs on bunker. Nothing touched the clam. I hooked up with a fish on a bucktail with rubber trailer but lost it after a few seconds, must have bit into the rubber.
    I did have a nice pull on my penn squall set up- line flew out about 20-30 feet and then dropped it by the time I could get to the rod. Had to leave just as it started getting good.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkHart View Post
    Coming off a 2 day fishing bender , ouch im sore, SNJ the big bass are in and Big Blues live i never seen before in that area to the south. Plugged up 10 or so Bass to 25 lbs had to cast all night then they would wander in periodically, if you put in the work you were rewarded. One of the highlights was me and 2 friends had a triple header, talk about a traffic jam with those 20plus going everywhich way Thursday before dark blues blitzed then friday night there was a 20 min big bass bunker blitz just out of range only one caught during that spurt but got the blood flowing watching those bunkies go airborn and spraying, saw 2 cormorants like dead in the flurry looking for an easy bunkie but hey man you look like topwater plug !
    Awesome report congrats! Do you mind sharing what plugs u got em on? thanks dude.

Fished out front in monmouth county today. Fished from seven to 10 I think the tide was going out. The water was dirty and brown the first 150 feet in close. I hope some of you guys at island beach caught because all I got today was the skunk! It was a nice morning out there but hardly anyone fishing. Maybe they knew something I didn't. sharkhart nice going you must have the magic touch!

Kudos to the guys who are catching bass. Can't find a bass to save my *** for the last 2 weeks. We are getting some monster blues on fresh cut bunker. Haven't had time to report. best bite is top of the tide and cloudy days. 2 nights ago there were bunker schooled up in a harbor and at 6am the blues came in and made chopped and diced bunker out of em. couldn't find one bass under that mess tho. Will keep trying.

^^^^^ At least you tried for them. I was in nomoco. There were 9 other guys there at 7am. The water was still coming in. I got one small blue on a krocodile spoon. One guy got 10 blues because he was casting further then anyone else. The rest of the guys only got one or two. Didn't see any stripers caught. One giant skate on clams and that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    man you guys are doing great!
    I fished the jetty on Friday took a nice fall, cracked my phone and sliced the tip of my pinky almost all the way off LOL. That's what I get for walking on the jetty and talking on the phone at the same time!
    Was going to mix things up and go trout fishing yesterday but talked my family into hitting the beach.
    Holy crap dude! Hope you had a good first aid kit in your car or truck!

good job shark hart!

Fished moco 4:30-6 today. Managed 2 short bass on bucktail and white grub. Also one short fluke. All released.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast