Thread: southern LI fishing access

Default southern LI fishing access

ok, so the daughter moves to Levittown, and I'll be there early July for a week, most likely, as we have a new grandchild on the way.

What are the best options for beach access and fishing, my current MO for fishing is usually up around 4:30 to get out by 5 latest and hit some sand somewhere.
    I gave up the all/mid nighters as it's disruptive for all the other work and family events that I get dragged into nowadays, though if there is action
    a 11PM run is not out of the question, if I have some confidence of finding action.

Of course this is new territory for me, and they are a straight shot at Jones beach, a little over RM, and east further Smith Point.

None of the beach 4wd fees look daunting, even for short term, compared with Jersey, although I'm not sure about SP as that is a county park, not sure
    how easy or expensive it is to get there, nor doable in July with the flutttering situation no doubt in flux. No matter what
    I'm likely to be back out there September or so for a trip to the Holy City (Montauk, I'm considering a boat charter to chase albies on the fly), as well as 3rd week in November.

So, walk on options? drive on options?

where are my best places to head, as a newbie to LI, specifically the south shore?

Quote Originally Posted by surfrob View Post
    I'll be there early July for a week, most likely, as we have a new grandchild on the way.

What are the best options for beach access and fishing, my current MO for fishing is usually up around 4:30 to get out by 5 latest and hit some sand somewhere.

a 11PM run is not out of the question, if I have some confidence of finding action.

Of course this is new territory for me, and they are a straight shot at Jones beach, a little over RM, and east further Smith Point.

None of the beach 4wd fees look daunting, even for short term, compared with Jersey, although I'm not sure about SP as that is a county park, not sure
    how easy or expensive it is to get there, nor doable in July with the flutttering situation no doubt in flux. No matter what
    Walk on options are the inlets and a few scattered other areas before the state parks. Check parking and restrictions as they are tough when tourist season rolls around. Also if you are in the parks and you don't have a night permit get out of there before the posted hours. They seem to always to be around to write tickets. Less enforcement for the immigrants that keep short fish. However you never know when the DEC will show up so make sure you have your NYS license or whatever it is that you need as non resident.

For drive on options you may have missed out on some. Some of these permits are only sold once a year in the spring. I think Jones is the best option for you if you want to drive and walk as an out of stater.
    In July there will be some schoolies and bluefish at montauk if you are agreeable to fishing the 4-5am magic hour before sunrise. Getting the surf fishing pass at the golf course is a good option. You can then fish until the end of the year. Hope this helps. Good luck

Helps a LOT, let's me know my options ( or lack thereof ) !

tight lines,
    Rob

Hey did you ever go fishing? As said the beach passes are sold at different times. You can still walk on in some places. If you do come up here fishing in the dark is your best bet. Tight lines.