Thread: kayak with outboard

Hybrid View

Default kayak with outboard

if you see a sand colored Jackson kayak with outriggers , a sail and an 1968 Evinrude mate 1.5hp on the water- say hello....if you can catch me LOL!

You put an outboard on a kayak? Sounds like its a boat now! Just kidding, lol
    what do you do when you get hit by big swells? Can it mess up the motor?

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    You put an outboard on a kayak? Sounds like its a boat now! Just kidding, lol
    what do you do when you get hit by big swells? Can it mess up the motor?
    Kayaking is a very wet sport *LOL*

I've damaged the electrical switches on my motor twice...luckily my brother and I are pretty handy and we were able to diagnose the problem and repair it (twice).

Rob, I'll have no problem catching you.

I just got the motor mount figured out yesterday saturday will be the maiden voyage with it

Jb so thats your new boat....lol! Thats insane!

Wow that is awesome! What HP is that motor? I am assuming it is pretty fast bc you are holding the paddle in the water to steer it right? thanks for sharing.

it is an 1968 Envinrude Mate 1.5hp. Yes, you are correct, I was using the paddle to assist in turning right. I have a rudder on the yak but it isn't strong enough to overpower the motor wanting to turn the kayak left. At full throttle (and turning left LOL) I get over 6mph, but if I throttle down I can maintain about 4.5mph and still be able to steer. When you see me using the paddle it was because I had a very strong wind over my right shoulder (also wanting to turn the boat left) I am trying to figure out a way to overpower it via a bigger rudder.
    I did make a rudder out of plywood. It looks like a big boot, LOL but the darn thing floats! Ugg- Maybe I should find 1/4" thick aluminum plate to make it out of. Might be my only option.

Nice set up thanks for posting.