Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for June 2015 - www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Default NJ Fishing Reports for June 2015 - www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Short and sweet......

1. Post your fishing reports here.....
    2. Be as specific as ya want....but remember the limited access....If you don't enjoy fishing next to 40 friends at night in a 400 foot section of beach, think before ya post.....

3. Location -
    Out front....
    out back.....
    or the county...

further details on the first page of any past S&A monthly fishing reports.

4. Moderation...
    I rarely have time to moderate these threads.
    If something needs to be addressed,and you are a contributing member.....please PM me or send an e-mail via the report post button.

Thanks for your cooperation and for being such a great group!

**Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post. If you began to register and can't post, check your spam folder for your activation instructions.

Late Spring Recap
    June is usually a great month for fishing ...some observations so far.....
    (I'll try to post this in the S&A State of the Fishery thread when I get a chance)
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...of-the-fishery

1. The Northern activity in the Raritan bay/NY Bight.... (as had been predicted)....petered out as the Hudson Bass went up the Hudson to spawn....by some accounts it was one of the shortest-lived spawns in recent years....By May 16 bass were moving downriver.....and as of this date have moved on quickly.
    Although some have remained in the RB/ NY Bight...in the usual areas....A large % of bass are now in the Western Sound....along with giant bluefish.....following the vast schools of bunker.

2. The BBay bass and blue action seemed to wane in consistency....but the inlets, and anywhere the bunker are...still seem to hold some solid fish.........

3. Weather is probably a big factor in that action, or more importantly the specific pattern....South and SE winds the last 2 weeks have brought the surf in Ocean and parts of Monmouth counties down to as low as 46 in some areas......It seems fish are being trolled out deep...also some action in that early pre-dawn window in bunker schools......but no one is jumping up and down and calling this the best year for bass ever......

4. Chesapeake/Delaware Bass.....The naive optimism of some puzzles me.....I recently was sent some internet comments about how most bass are "still" down South....

In some examples these are specific, concentrated cases..........what has happened is there are some usual hotspots....from Assateague Island to the Atlantic County NJ Area...where the bass will gather and feed for a short detour on the northern migration.
    This year...many of the inshore hotspots seem to be where highest concentrations of bunker....and squid....have been found....
    Bass have held in Southern NJ for far longer than they usually do.....again due primarily to high forage concentrations

Nonetheless, Chesapeake and Delaware bass are already being caught along the SS of LI and out east in Montauk.....
    It seems some of them are again bypassing Central Jersey and migrating across the Mudhole.

5. Chesapeake Bass.....2 weeks ago.....Pebbles and I were at a conference in Va Beach.....We came back over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge....20 miles of bridge, and not one striped bass was being caught....all the locals had turned their attention to Drum...
    It was a sobering thought to me...that the vast Chesapeake....had been (emptied) of migratory bass....

I'm sure a few could have been caught by some of us at night from the bridge pilings.....but the lack of striped bass was shocking....I sent some of you texts to remember that fact the next time a Charter Capt boasts there are "more striped bass than ever".

6. Striped bass can move quickly on their Spring and Fall migration.....documented as much as 10-15 miles per day......I have gotten so many comments this year..."Well we crushed em there yesterday and today it's like the dead sea".....
    It's difficult to predict where they will be from one day to the next...when they are constantly moving....

7. Beach Replenishment......Dirty Water.....Destroyed forage habitat.....

The beach replenishment, and disruption of good bottom and forage sources, has definitely changed the pattern of bass and other species hugging the beach on their migration....

However...to those who would say those bass have all simply moved offshore....I ask them to explain the presence of giant bluefish....in the very surf the striped bass are absent from....

No matter how you look at it....beach replenishment has changed some things for the worse...and it will be a long time before things revert back to how some of us remember...

Something to think about....

** The one thing that folks are griping about....the cold water and South winds...
    May be the very thing that prolongs the run for those who fish NJ/ NY Bight and Coastal areas..

Folks need to remember that during migration,
    1.food sources
    2. and water temps are key factors that cause bass to make slight alterations in their trips....

It takes the ocean temps a while to adjust upward or downward....and it could be weeks before the temps are high enough to push the remaining bass north....

Recent days have seen a huge concentration of bunker gathering in parts of Ocean and Monmouth counties......this could be the beginning of some better inshore and surf fishing..or not...only time will tell....

The great opportunities of today...may last a few weeks....or they may be gone tomorrow....

**Another reminder for the bluefish...
    Although some of us take them for granted....or curse them as being a hindrance for catching bass...the big ones will only stick around as long as water temps and food source are to their comfort.....and will soon be gone offshore to spawn......

Catch them while you can....this 2015 Spring will be looked back on...as one of the best...for inshore and surf bluefish action......
    Wishing you all the best...and good luck.....

A few bass and blues yesterday at the Rocks. Water was cold. They were hot on bunker chunks and livies. More blues than bass. We did pull some bass to 29lbs before sunrise. Kept 2 for the table at 20 and 22#.

Very nice! Hope we can see fish like that in the surf soon. I been out two times this past week and got skunked.

Came down to visit the in laws this weekend. Tried my luck outside the manasquan inlet this morning. Fished from 4-7. High tide and outgoing. Was very foggy. Tossed bucktail, metal, and the SP. One stray cocktail blue on bucktail. Wow. Wasn't expecting a cow but a little better than that. I'll probably catch more fish when I go back home. I guess as you said the water is cold. Hope the fishing improves for you guys soon. We did have a nice time walking the point pleasant boardwalk so all was not lost. Also drove down the highway and got some cheesesteaks that were to die for. Maybe the name of the place was pats pizza? Definitely reccommend.

Nice going capt. nothing for me in moco this morning. Extreme fog made it interesting. Water still cold. May try again this afternoon further north.

Fished moco yesterday 5-9pm. BTW anyone looking to fish on the public beaches they don't kick you off once it's 5pm. At least that's what I found in some places. Got into some large gorillas about an hour before sundown. White and lime green pencil poppers did the most damage. Check your leaders guys there are some big blues out there.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    7. Beach Replenishment......Dirty Water.....Destroyed forage habitat.....

The beach replenishment, and disruption of good bottom and forage sources, has definitely changed the pattern of bass and other species hugging the beach on their migration....

However...to those who would say those bass have all simply moved offshore....I ask them to explain the presence of giant bluefish....in the very surf the striped bass are absent from....

No matter how you look at it....beach replenishment has changed some things for the worse...and it will be a long time before things revert back to how some of us remember...

Something to think about....
    I agree. It makes me sick to think what a waste of $$ this is. Its our money because we are all taxpayers. Total welfare for the rich and half of it will be gone by next spring. eff pallone and the acoe.

Nice effort fellas. I was out from 5-7 this morning and it looked like that movie the fog. Managed a few blues on polaris popper. One was nice around 10 lbs. the other 2 were literally only a bit bigger than the popper. Pee wee blues have arrived.

Fished cape may this morning. Water wasn't that bad and got a little warmer from the last time I was out. 2 stripers on fresh clams. One was a keeper 29". Funny thing- it had nothing but a few crabs in his stomach when I cleaned it.

Just got back from somoco. Fished from 6- 8. Skunkola. Then drove up and down to nomoco didn't see anyone else catching. It got really foggy out and with the south wind the only numbers of people I saw on the beach were the surfers. Many of the other beaches were like a ghost town. Strange weather we keep having.

Wish things were going better for guys fishing north of LBI, this is such a great group of guys I hate to even report right now, I dont know what it means for north fishing but south of AC has a very solid body of stripers, there was an all time classic night friday with big fish, I even ventured far south one night to cape may and the fish were violently crashing water every 15-20 mins dead in close but very very pickey, got a few there. I also got my new PB @ 43lbs on a yellow wood northbar, felt great hugging her taking her back out for the release. I allowed a super unexperienced angler from my work to tag along (claimed to be experienced) he showed up in a bathing suit and trout vest, watching him trying to unhook a 38 lber with forceps was priceless. I lost some respect with some hard core guys I know well every time they hooked up my goog buddy would get 10 yards and shine a strong flashlight on them because he wanted to watch as a spectator, i was like dude thats gotta stop!

Wow bass to 43 lbs from shore that sounds like a dream that came true! Congrats on your pb and thanks for sharing.

Nice catching sharkhart. And on the pb as well. Island beach has been a dead zone. A few of my friends catching bass and blues at night on meat but not a hell of a lot going on. That south wind has sucked for us. Surprised it hasn't hurt anyone fishing in south jersey but them's the breaks.

Whoa nice work dude. Send some of those fish up to moco please!

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    Nice catching sharkhart. And on the pb as well. Island beach has been a dead zone. A few of my friends catching bass and blues at night on meat but not a hell of a lot going on. That south wind has sucked for us. Surprised it hasn't hurt anyone fishing in south jersey but them's the breaks.
    It has, I meant to say that, the south wind that is, the days its stiff dead south, it slows down, light southeast has been fine though, you can feel it go up and down 2-5 degrees. The cooler water has beeen holding them in area though I think

Awesome report congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by SharkHart View Post
    I allowed a super unexperienced angler from my work to tag along (claimed to be experienced) he showed up in a bathing suit and trout vest, watching him trying to unhook a 38 lber with forceps was priceless. I lost some respect with some hard core guys I know well every time they hooked up my goog buddy would get 10 yards and shine a strong flashlight on them because he wanted to watch as a spectator, i was like dude thats gotta stop!
    You jersey guys must be real tolerant. If he did that at the Canal he would probably end up in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Late Spring Recap
    June is usually a great month for fishing ...some observations so far.....
    (I'll try to post this in the S&A State of the Fishery thread when I get a chance)
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...of-the-fishery

.By May 16 bass were moving downriver.....and as of this date have moved on quickly.
    Although some have remained in the RB/ NY Bight...in the usual areas....A large % of bass are now in the Western Sound....along with giant bluefish.....following the vast schools of bunker.

I agree. I have some buds in RI that were into some good striped bass this week. A 50 was caught and several others in the 40's. those fish move real quick. The one thing that stops them is the porgy and the squid. It's a bonus squid crop this year they are all over.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast