Thread: teasers for the summer with blues around?

Default teasers for the summer with blues around?

hey guys I read in the fishing reports how one of the guys here was using teasers. Just wondering if the rest of you were using them and if you do what are the odds of a bluefish biting them off. Is there any way to prevent that? thanks

They are probably feeding on small bait if the teasers are working try a small plug or tin with a dressed tail.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Im a teaser junkie i use them everytime out no matter what...I dont mind losing a few since i tie my own...The biggest problem is the the dropper loop gets all chewed up and i have to re-tie rigs...But its funny i have notice the past few trips out that if i had the teaser on i would be catching(on both plug and teaser)once i took the teaser off no hits...Had a bud next to me last week i was catching steadily with a teaser on...While he got skunked fishing with no teaser...And we were throwing very similar plugs...Like surf said tho throw a small ava with a dressed hook if you dont wanna lose any rigs..

Never use one unless it is absolutely necessary which IMO is not often plus they target smaller fish most of the time. Also some places I fish it is next to impossible to get in a double header. I also had cases where a fish takes the teaser and the plug hangs up. So most of our crew find them useless except for open beach.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by Blazin420 View Post
    .But its funny i have notice the past few trips out that if i had the teaser on i would be catching(on both plug and teaser)once i took the teaser off no hits...Had a bud next to me last week i was catching steadily with a teaser on...While he got skunked fishing with no teaser...And we were throwing very similar plugs...
    Have heard that before. I read somewhere if a plug has a teaser in front the fish might think the plug is a smaller fish chasing the teaser and they then want to compete and hit it. Dont know if it's true but thats what I read.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    I also had cases where a fish takes the teaser and the plug hangs up. So most of our crew find them useless except for open beach.
    Good point I guess you would not want to use a teaser when fishing near jetties etc.

I always thought teasers were for the fall run. Interesting to hear some different opinions.

Previously posted........
    Monty also had a habit of using little rubber tubes as teasers...the miniaturized ones, not the standard sizes....and would often pull a few fish out of an area when the primary forage was small bait.......when no one else was catching...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Previously posted........
    Monty also had a habit of using little rubber tubes as teasers...the miniaturized ones, not the standard sizes....and would often pull a few fish out of an area when the primary forage was small bait.......when no one else was catching...
    I have made an effort NOT to use teasers the last year or so.
    But lately there has been a lot smaller bait in areas I have been fishing. So mixing it up a bit more. It saved me from the skunk and picked up a short bass last trip on a small black surf candy.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I think I remember reading about them. Any pics of these magic teasers? Are you talking about the green and red type tubes at the end of the ava jigs? I have been striking out lately and could use any advantage I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    I think I remember reading about them. Any pics of these magic teasers? Are you talking about the green and red type tubes at the end of the ava jigs? I have been striking out lately and could use any advantage I can get.
    I rarely use them now....somehow not as much confidence in them as I used to have.
    Bottom one is the largest I have gotten on the rubber teaser.
    At one time I was doing OK dragging the Ava 27 over a sandbar and would catch on the small rubber teaser (out fished the Ava around 4:1)
    I added stick on eyes.

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Tubes work good when sand eels are around which seem to be almost nonexistent even off shore

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Does anyone else remember when sand eels used to be here spring and fall? Seems so long ago now.