Thread: Surfcasters attention! Push to ban jetty fishing!

Hybrid View

pinhead44 Guest

E-mail sent. Please take a look in the NY forum as well, we could use your help with the Shoreham access.

email sent

Here's the latest info I have about a meeting she had with Tom Fote, a guy who is a great friend to all fishermen.

To All,

I had a meeting scheduled yesterday on many subjects with Commissioner Jackson. During that meeting I asked about this email and she said protecting fishing access 24/7 was a priority of DEP and the town must assure that access. There is no compromise. The towns might be talking about it but it is not going to happen. Representatives of NJSFSC and NJOA were also present at this meeting when she confirmed what I have included in this email. This has always been true at DEP. What the towns are upset about is that the new DEP Public Access Rules that provides more public access. I hope that clears up your concerns.

Sincerely
    Tom Fote
    Release for Tomorrow

<@((((((>< <@((((((>< <@((((((><
    Legislative Chairman
    Jersey Coast Anglers Association
    New Jersey State Federation of Sportsman's Clubs
    22 Cruiser Court
    Toms River NJ 08753
    <tfote@JCAA.org>
    Phone 732-270-9102
    Cell 732-598-7669
    Fax 732-506-6409
    Email tfote@jcaa.org

Hope u guys get somewhere, cus i think it's all about the benjamins. Once those richie richie ppl start movin in, maybe they'll make more excuses. And 5 spots thing really sux. I fish back by the Belford inlet where they have 5 spots, but most of the spots have beemers and mercedes in them when I go there. u can't tell me a dude in a beemer or mercedes is out there fishin, they just park there cus they want to fish-block us.

I sent my e-mail too, but think wish4 makes a good point about the 5 spots. How will you know that the only people parking there are fishermen, and not just people who came to visit their relatives and were didn't want to walk to far for a parking spot?

This was posted somewhere else, latest update.

Commissioner Lisa P. Jackson has requested that I respond on her behalf to your recent e-mail regarding potential limitations on public access to tidal waters, specifically fishing access on jetties and groins.

As you know, the Public Trust Doctrine upholds that the public has the right to access tidal waterways and their shores and that these rights are held by the State in trust for the benefit of all the people. Accordingly, the Coastal Zone Management rules have always required public access to and along tidal waters and their shores when issuing permits for most coastal developments and activities, particularly along the oceanfront. Further, in recognition of the use of jetties and groins for fishing, the public trust rights rule required municipalities participating in Shore Protection Program funding to allow public access to jetties and groins, unless it is demonstrated that such access poses an extraordinary risk.

This exception will be applied at my discretion with the understanding that there are inherent risks associated with fishing from these structures under normal circumstances and that people engaged in fishing on these structures understand and accept such risks. In short, I would expect any restrictions on such jetties to represent exceptions rather than the rule.

Please contact the Bureau of Coastal and Land Use Compliance and Enforcement's Toms River field office at (732) 255-0787 and speak to the appropriate regional representative with any specific information you may have or receive related to public access restrictions. Thank you again for your interest and involvement in preserving public access.

David Rosenblatt
    Administrator, Engineering and Construction
    dave.rosenblatt@dep.state.nj.us
    609.292.9236 Trenton
    732.255.0770 Toms River

For the most part it's a very positive reply
    However, I would like to see a clear, tight definition for the term "extraordinary risk."
    What we see as small to average risk might be construed by township attorneys as "extraordinary"