Thread: Creeping in the Night

Default Creeping in the Night

I hate when the sun starts rising above the horizon.
    Everything is better in the dark, senses heightened, much better chance at getting bigger Bass.
    Usually harder to find and catch Blues, but for me hooking up with a Gator at night is a huge rush and gets the adrenalin pumping more than in the daylight.

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Some are happy to see the dawn, and sunrise.....
    But I agree with you, Pal.....

Sunrise makes my heart sink...
    I know it's the end of any bite I may have had....
    Even in the great winter bites of the past....all the bigger fish would cease activity about one hour before first light.....

And when you were on the move chasing fish at night......you knew that clock was ticking...always ticking.......
    SharkHart refers to it as losing the night......it makes sense to me.......

When fish are less concentrated, the predators become very wary....and the cover of darkness is the key to your opportunity for a larger fish.......At least that's my experience.....

The adrenalin of fighting a larger bass, or a 15+lb bluefish hitting your offering late at night...deep, deep in the dark.....is so addictive....like your first kiss with the girl you obsessed over when you were 15......the action might not be steady or guaranteed.......

You play that tape over and over in your head.....it's as addictive as crack.....the anticipation....and hope....for the next time you might find that unexpected surprise........

It's one of the things that keeps me thinking about the surf, and the night tides....
    The thrill is unique and special.......and always pulls you back in...no matter how your season is going....
    Creeping in the night...fishing the night tides....there is nothing quite like it...once you get used to the blackness and solitude.......

I like the sunrise for the fall. Otherwise its cool to fish in the dark. Feel like a vampire lol.

I am not as stealthy as the rest of you guys. I have tried fishing some of the inlets at sunset into the dark when the blues were around. I found that a lot of times they stopped biting when it got dark. Does anyone know the reason for that? thanks

Wondering does it matter different times of year as to whether the fishing is better day or night?

Baitstealer that would depend on a few things. Are you fishing in a boat or from the land. From a boat it has mattered to me less. It also depends on the species here. For simplicitys sake let's assume you are targeting bass bluefish and weakfish. The bass and bluefish have always been easier for me to catch at night or early morning. The hour around sunrise is a perfect time when you may have them feeding on bait in the area.

The seasonal differences you asked about are also important. In general the fall activity may be related to sandeels or mullet and that activity is usually better in the day. In the spring the water is colder so sometimes the fishing is not that good until the end of the day.

For the rest of the year for me it has depended on what bait is there and when the fish are most likely to be feeding on it. For example inlets used to be a sure thing. If you have a lot of boat traffic on a weekend it will definitely affect the fishing. That is why a lot of folks fish inlets at night when there are less people out on the water.

Hope that answered your question.

I love the darkness,swimming your plug on top,unseen and very much heard as you hear the schlop,schlop of your plug swimming,then you hear the crash and feel the heavy thud at the same time,you swing on it hard and you connect and your rod dips down and drag starts peeling out under heavy drag,,,,whats better then that in the dark?

R-P
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,

X2. The experience is where it's at. Fishing in the day isn't the same. You see everything as it happens. In the night you have to be much more tuned in and ready to strike.

Quote Originally Posted by porgy75 View Post
    I found that a lot of times they stopped biting when it got dark. Does anyone know the reason for that? thanks
    One of the reasons could be the tide slacked out. Check when slack is next time and see if thats it. I find inlets have better tides that are good diff times of year. for the summer sometimes the incoming is best. for the fall its a good bet to find fish on the outgoing. All depends on time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    X2. The experience is where it's at. Fishing in the day isn't the same. You see everything as it happens. In the night you have to be much more tuned in and ready to strike.
    that's correct,be ready always!

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Everything is better in the dark, senses heightened, much better chance at getting bigger Bass.
    Usually harder to find and catch Blues, but for me hooking up with a Gator at night is a huge rush and gets the adrenalin pumping more than in the daylight
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip-Plugger View Post
    I love the darkness,swimming your plug on top,unseen and very much heard as you hear the schlop,schlop of your plug swimming,then you hear the crash and feel the heavy thud at the same time,you swing on it hard and you connect and your rod dips down and drag starts peeling out under heavy drag,,,,whats better then that in the dark?
    R-P
    Well said, people...

A few of ya's have busted my balls for not being out there as much this year....
    Wanted to let ya's know even if I have no intentions of going out there at night....or if something comes up that I can't make it.......

On the nights when I can't be out there...and know it's a good night that might hold some fish....
    And I can't get out there...It's like someone is choking me....I can't breathe...
    That's how I know I could never live too far from the salt......
    Wondered if anyone else felt the same way?....

Every full and new moon I'm writing an itinerary for that night....
    Where and when I should make the jump from one place to another......

The prime parts of the tide..what works for that time of the season.
    It's in my blood...a disease that I hope never finds a cure....

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    That's how I know I could never live too far from the salt......
    Wondered if anyone else felt the same way?....
    No way I would move further away, eventually I will end up in LI somehow .

Quote Originally Posted by Rip-Plugger View Post
    that's correct,be ready always!
    The best times I usually get bit by a nice fish are the times when I'm least paying attention.

when it's quiet out there and late,i go into auto mode,i keep casting/working and I swear I can be asleep while doing it.when I look at my timepiece it's 2-3 hrs later and I feel like I got there an hour ago.
    when I get a hit in this mode I strike like lightning and hit like a MF bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Usually harder to find and catch Blues, but for me hooking up with a Gator at night is a huge rush and gets the adrenalin pumping more than in the daylight.

I used to read that bluefish are less active at night. I guess you guys definitely prove that wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by surferman View Post
    I used to read that bluefish are less active at night. I guess you guys definitely prove that wrong.
    I find it more difficult catching Blues at night. Certainly more challenging for me. But I like that.
    I think almost all of my double digit blues catches are in the light.

well,i say that they are geared towards sight feeding especially when staged in current.
    that's brings me to my big point.large swimmers.
    they throb heavy in the current and that attracts them from even well out of eyesight but,not out of vibrational sight.
    that's the way to catch them in the dark,they will hunt down a bait in full darkness especially if it gives off a string but low cycle vibration.
    that's my main idea on slow cranking a large swimmer in the currents,it will draw them aftet it even from 15 feet down.
    you fish a small swimmer in current like say a bomber and they may not even respond to it because it's sound is so slight.