Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for October 2015 - www. StripersAndAnglers.com

Default NJ Fishing Reports for October 2015 - www. StripersAndAnglers.com

NJ Fishing Reports for October 2015 - www. StripersAndAnglers.com

Short and sweet......

1. Post your fishing reports here.....
    2. Be as specific as ya want....but remember the limited access....If you don't enjoy fishing next to 40 friends at night in a 400 foot section of beach, think before ya post.....

3. Location -
    Out front....
    out back.....
    or the county...

further details on the first page of any past S&A monthly fishing reports.

4. Moderation...
    I rarely have time to moderate these threads.
    If something needs to be addressed,and you are a contributing member.....please PM me or send an e-mail via the report post button.

Thanks for your cooperation and for being such a great group!

**Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post. If you began to register and can't post, check your spam folder for your activation instructions.
    If you are not able to post or have problems logging on, making sure this is correct will most likely fix your problem. Thanks.

Early Fall Recap
    October is usually a great month for fishing, as local waters cool down and bait starts to leave back bay areas.

Some observations.....
    1. Montauk to Rhode Island Fall fishing has been good for some, and frustrating for others. The bright spot has been the albie action in that general area, some of the best in years.
    A friend and I were talking. He mentioned the pattern of the last 3 years to have been very inconsistent until late in October. I would agree with that. There are still some nice fish for those who follow the tides and current patterns, but it's a lot of work that people are not used to doing. You can't just expect to go to Montauk any more and consistently run into acres of fish blitzing like in the past.

People who claim how healthy the fishery is would be well-advised to turn the pages back 15 years and compare the catches then, to now....
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8039-Why-are-there-no-fish-in-Montauk-right-now

2. There has been a tremendous amount of bait in the back bays and rivers..... some claiming more than they have seen in years...... I would tend to agree with that.
    Columbus Day is the usual time when the bait patterns along the ocean front become more consistent....However, make no mistake about it....that bait is moving now...as I type these words...whether the water seems fishable or not.....
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...shing-patterns

3. The weather seems to be on everyone's mind....just a reminder, as some here have said....that when bait is migrating it will move whether there is a storm system or not....it just moves differently....There is still a pattern to it....particularly with the Sept and Oct full moons......
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...on-as-well-%29

4. In sum....... what some may not realize, and has been said here by others...is that in good weather and bad, bait and fish will be on the move....if you can identify patterns and pick windows where it's not too bad, you can find some very nice fish right now.

Wishing all readers and their families best of luck for the Fall....

Wind and water not that bad this morning. Handful of short bass on bucktail and pork in moco.

bucktail the old reliable. Nice!

Good going man.

Nice job buckethead.

I got out Monday night targeting weakies, doesn't seem like there is many in the state at all but i did manage to find 7 weaks ranging 15 to 21" on a special piece of water that has a "coral" type bottom, Dark has mentioned this before you sometimes snag what looks like a rock and you look closer and there is small worms in it, this bottom seem to be the ticket they like, also need the bait which seemed to be spearing, the loads of peanuts I saw a month ago were gone, but this made the weaks more cooperative on bites, missed a fair share of short strikes too, gulp worked best but 4 inch zooms took a few.

This morning 4 to 6:30 released 7 bass to 28" and 4 blue fish in the 4-6# range my partner had 4 bass and a10# blue all on DOA rubber and jig head

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by SharkHart View Post
    I got out Monday night targeting weakies, doesn't seem like there is many in the state at all but i did manage to find 7 weaks ranging 15 to 21" on a special piece of water that has a "coral" type bottom, Dark has mentioned this before you sometimes snag what looks like a rock and you look closer and there is small worms in it, this bottom seem to be the ticket they like, also need the bait which seemed to be spearing.

These small worms are so important to the feeding cycle of some large predators.........weakfish...big bluefish.....and bass as well.....I'm surprised ya remembered way back when I was talking about this, Shark....... These aren't the small sand and blood worms that live in the clam beds....they're much smaller......I'll have to do some research to try to come up with a pic and an exact scientific name....

If anyone can help with the ID in the meantime I would be most grateful......They are very tiny worms, no bigger than your fingernail....that live in clumps of bottom vegetation......This vegetation is very specific.....some have described it as "moss-like"....but the key is that it is often found around the "coral type" bottoms that Shark has described......When you're bouncing bottom with a bucktail or jig.....you often come up with clumps of this coral/muck/mud/vegetation....in certain areas....that is filled with these tiny marine worms...........

I think part of the feeding cycle is these clumps of vegetation allow these tiny worms to thrive...which in turn attracts small
    baitfish....spearing...peanuts....baby fluke, flounder....sea bass....tog......many other species seem to thrive around it.......the bigger predators either are attracted to that activity...

OR they just center around the worms in the vegetation, and eat that if there are no baitfish around.....
    I have found this stuff in the bellies of larger bass and bluefish I kept and cleaned.....and may have mentioned it here...once or twice.....

(That's why Sharkhart catches a lot of fish throughout the year......IMO is one of NJ's most successful weak fishermen.....and also in the past when there were 15+ lb weakfish that you could hunt.....he was on them regularly...)

He pays attention to the conditions that bring fish in to feed at night....and hunts for numbers, selectively targeting them...based on that.....

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    This morning 4 to 6:30 released 7 bass to 28" and 4 blue fish in the 4-6# range my partner had 4 bass and a10# blue all on DOA rubber and jig head
    Wow you are like the borg catching fish with 20mph winds and thumbing your nose at Joaquin who is just offshore. Nicely done.

Nice catches. beautiful weakfish videos too. Have heard of that but never in my life seen ones that big. They're huge!

Guess no one will be fishing or surfing the beaches today lol.
    http://njsurfer.com/

Bulldozers busy at work yesterday
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 09-30   922.JPG  

No surfing today the duration is too short. It would be impossible to stay out there for any length of time.

I wonder why the towns push that sand up like a giant ski jump? From my limited experience won't that just push the water into the streets of the towns if it gets higher than the dunes? Why not do what the town of ocean beach did and make some real dunes there?

Quote Originally Posted by baitstealer View Post
    Nice catches. beautiful weakfish videos too. Have heard of that but never in my life seen ones that big. They're huge!
    We use to live line adult bunker to them in the 70's teen size fish were common especially from the Long Branch Pier on live spot

Sure it will but they won't build dunes cause I heard the homeowners dont want it. They would rather be bailed out by the acoe.

Quote Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
    Wow you are like the borg catching fish with 20mph winds and thumbing your nose at Joaquin who is just offshore. Nicely done.
    Will be in the back out tonight and probably in the morning too until the wind gets too bad

To DS

^^^^^^^Finchaser pond? are you guys fighting again? I call dibs on the popcorn concession.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Nice going. Nice weakies as well shark hart.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast