Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ACF thread

Yeah man just busting your balls. You're welcome out on the sods anytime. Saw that jetty thread I don't fish jettys that much because the fishing has got so bad. You're right there used to be some large pulled from them.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    ACF = Arm Chair Fisherman
    haha just found this photo from another post. DS you can be an ACF and make some casts too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails finchaser fishing chair.jpg  

The tag on that pic says finchaser fishing chair. That figures you try to pump him for spot info. Now you're trying to steal his chair too? Maybe it's just me but the way you gents talk about how old you all are you might want to be bringing a wheelchair or a walker out there to get the job done. Just saying.

"Dark the ACF" went fishing the other night....if anything just to get that Goog Monty off my back.....

Short version- 8 hour trip, ended up in the morning at sunrise with a lucky short bass, hit a small polaris. I wanted to stay away from any place that might have crowds....the lack of life out there got me to realize why the few places that are holding fish, draw the crowds they do.

Long Version
    -Tuesday night.....
    8 hour trip...only fished for 5 of those hours....took a nap in the middle because fishing for this time of year....halfway through October...(which used to be one of the prime months of the year for catching double digits of bass in NJ)....sucked so bad I knew I needed to step back and give myself an attitude re-adjustment.

I hit the less crowded places....as I get older crowds have less of an appeal to me.....no matter what people are catching....I try to stay away....there used to be so many alternate choices it wasn't a big deal to find an isolated area where you could bail fish all to yourself at night.....
    In recent times no so much.....it is what it is......

The solitude is the thing that I need....the bonus use to be all these spots, if you did your homework and followed seasonal patterns in your logs....you could find some fish to put a bend in the end of your rod...that's important as well...and now it just ain't so.....many places are barren of predators......
    Ex - I can remember a time when the Shrewsbury, Navesink, and Raritan rivers held high numbers of small bass most of the year....now that's not the case....except for the prime months....

Not for the lack of food or bait.....I saw bait all over.....everywhere I scouted...
    Rivers are filled with spearing by the hundreds of thousands......
    Some of the bays still have peanut bunker and giant mullet...
    The ocean has had large schools of adult bunker lately...with only limited, specific bites available to those of us fishing from shore.....

When I got up and started out again to fish before dawn....I made a serious effort to fish a few more choice, isolated spots..... that hold fish...but are not popular with the internet fishermen....

There was white water....a nice chop to the surface...conditions that Monty and others usually drool over.....
    Midway through the flood tide....the areas should have been filled with small bass looking to feast on all the bait....

Every single area that I stopped at....has produced bass for me at this time in October....in the past....

Cast after cast produced nothing....working all levels of the water column....could not even get a sluggo chopped in half as I worked them and different sizes of rubber/metals/teasers and bucktails as well.....

Frustration building......Finally managed one lucky bass on the small polaris popper....
    I felt there was no skill involved in catching that bass as it was the only one........
    Can't even claim to have "missed a few".....

Nonetheless....
    1. Conditions are great for this time year...(albeit a lack of quality fish)...unless you are fishing in the middle of a high bait concentration......
    2. The migratory fish are on the move...

As SharkHart and some others have said...it's only a matter of days before some sand eels are hitting our shores....

Whether you catch or not..it's time to be out there........
    And fish hard.....
    Good luck to everyone....

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    There was white water....a nice chop to the surface...conditions that Monty and others usually drool over.....
    Midway through the flood tide....the areas should have been filled with small bass looking to feast on all the bait....

Every single area that I stopped at....has produced bass for me at this time in October....in the past....

Cast after cast produced nothing....working all levels of the water column....could not even get a sluggo chopped in half as I worked them and different sizes of rubber/metals/teasers and bucktails as well.....

Frustration building......Finally managed one lucky bass on the small polaris popper....
    I felt there was no skill involved in catching that bass as it was the only one........
    Can't even claim to have "missed a few".....
    I hear you on that dark. The level of fishing is nothing like it used to be. When we see folks congratulating each other on the internet for catching 26" bass you know things are very different. Nothing like the old days, eh? As you said it is what it is. I used to spend all night fishing when I was younger and the fish were measured in pounds not inches. I have gotten too old for that. I'm happy to get a little action in now. That and the walk on the beach helps keep me healthy. Twas good to see you got out fishing again. Your reports were missed. Tight lines.

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    I hear you on that dark. The level of fishing is nothing like it used to be. When we see folks congratulating each other on the internet for catching 26" bass you know things are very different. Nothing like the old days, eh? As you said it is what it is. I used to spend all night fishing when I was younger and the fish were measured in pounds not inches......Twas good to see you got out fishing again. Your reports were missed. Tight lines.

Have not had a chance to post here in awhile. Always appreciate when guys like yourself share memories, bucket. Too many people don't remember the abundant times, less than 10 years ago. Now, it's a noteworthy achievement if someone does catch a few schoolies. I fear that the fantastic fishing of just a few short years past, has faded from some peoples' memories. The dinosaur that I am, I can't help comparing today's fishing to how it used to be. It's been very tough for me to process and accept.

Thought I would point out, for you ball busters here who gave me the original ACF nomination..........

1. that although I haven't completely tallied my numbers for this year, they're upwards of 350+ for bass, and probably an equal number of quality bluefish... I'm pretty humble, and realize that when you catch larger numbers of fish, some will start to hate you...but the truth is those catches took a lot of hard work and effort.....and those of us who do have good numbers, got them by being out when everyone else was sleeping, or "waiting" for reports while a few of us were out in all kinds of weather....many times striking out on what should have been a good night, all because there are simply less fish around.

2. As a result, Nomad fishing, which I wrote about years ago, has become the preferred method for many anglers of putting themselves onto bigger fish...traveling up or down the Coast and following fish on their migrational patterns.

3. Also, still trying to be a little humble....this "ACF" has put some friends into fish up to 35# this year, simply by pushing them to get out. When I couldn't, and try certain areas ahead of the "reports", because of yearly patterns I have in my fishing logs. (Another argument for keeping fishing logs, mine have been invaluable to me).

Not bad for an ACF fisherman.
    I do appreciate the Ball Busting, and the thoughts behind why you guys were doing it, though. So feel free to carry on, all in good fun.

"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau.

You are very welcome, Rich. Just trying to help some of the younger folks out. I agree the participation and enthusiasm has changed. The goal has become to post the biggest fish as it relates to one's manhood. How silly.
    When did it become polite to put someone down because they caught a small striper, or are happy to catch bluefish and want to share? The mugging has gotten almost intolerable. The area I fish hasn't been that bad because we are getting mostly small bass. Island Beach and Sandy hook get much more pressure and fall into the mob mentality. You can have it and the ego chest thumping. At my age I'm content to walk the beach in peace, make a few casts, and perhaps catch a few fish.

Hey if you're directing people to 35 pounders from your arm chair, I want in! nice work guys. buckethead always enjoy your reminiscing as well, thanks for sharing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12