Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kayak Trips and Fishing Reports 2016

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    out on the kayak with buddy Mike- Bought 30 dollars worth of blood worms and grass shrimp to target the perch and stripers in a river in Atlantic County. AS we were pedaling north I got a call from work- mike decided to troll a half ounce white bucktail with a pink zoom trailer. within minutes he hooks up. he releases and within a few more minutes he hooks up and releases again. Both were in the 20" range. I get off the phone we troll around a little more- I have on a red lead head with white swim bait- neither of us hit- but we were marking fish. So we anchor up and through out the bait. I got a couple nibbles on my hi lo but that's it. After about a half hour we decide to go back to trolling bucktails. I had a yellow with an otter tail. Mike had his white pink zoom combo- He hooks up again. He brings the fish in and I ask what size BT- I put the same size on with the red otter tail and cast out- boom I am in. so they wanted white and half ounce. I ended up with 6 total, biggest was around 32"- he bent the hook and I lost him right at the yak. Mikey ended up with 9 total. He kept two of his for the table, All mine went back in. Oh yeah- outgoing tide. Water temp 55 degrees.

Nice report. Got a buddy who trolls small bucktails and white mister twister from a kayak. He claims it's his killer go-to technique when the water is colder and they are not in biting mode for plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by hookedonbass View Post
    ^^^fishing by yourself, good and fun.
    fishing with your kids, rewarding beyond belief and priceless. How did you get your daughter interested in fishing?
    Well none of my kids have expressed an interest in fishing. My one daughter (will be 16 in a few weeks) as expressed the least resistance to going, lol! Well she and I went out yesterday in the rain. We did not catch anything at all. But as we were sitting there I told her that sometimes fishing is like this (well for me alot of is like this lol) but its just being out in nature. We watched flocks of birds way up do this acrobatic navigation where they would fly in circles until one by one they would then head in one direction. She said afterwatrd that she had a great time just being out- so I was very impressed to say the least- Maybe she will get bit by the fishing bug after all!

Nice going solid report.

Good job rob thanks for sharing.

Congrats on the early stripers will be out this weekend. Can't wait to wet a line. As for taking your daughter fishing it doesn't get any better than that. Whether you catch or not, time with Dad is money in the bank.

nice going, thanks for sharing.

Rob, always enjoy your trips and sharing your experiences with us. We'll have to get out there this year, good luck.

"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Rob, always enjoy your trips and sharing your experiences with us. We'll have to get out there this year, good luck.
    I would love to fish with you but you do remember I am a sissy right?

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    I would love to fish with you but you do remember I am a sissy right?
    Don't worry you can invite DarkSkies kayaking 1,000,000 times he will never come. Something about being too old and decrepit to keep up with the "new generation" of kayakers.

Long term forecast is looking promising for 4/2 in the RB....time to dust off the kayak DarkSkies!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Something about being too old and decrepit to keep up with the "new generation" of kayakers.
    Yeah the new generation of kayakers and their reliance on electronics and facebook reports to tell them when to fish.
    I already started my 2016 fishing season, pal. Was out working the water on the flats after the Sandy Hook NMS meeting the other night. Was going to ask if you wanted to come.
    If I recall......you said something like "who has time to fish????"

So I figured you're not interested in them trying to turn one of your favorite places into a Marine reserve/MPA.....
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...anctuary/page2
    BTW will you actually be starting to fish on April 2....or wait till the facebook reports you follow tell you it's worth it?

What ever happened to fishing logs?, and using that plus the temperature changes to tell us when to get out there?
    That's when I know it's time......
    The younger JB of 10 years ago would have been out there already....making his own reports and right on top of it WHEN the fish show up in numbers.....
    Fishing clams and digging worms with his Mom and Dad.......having fun in the shared times together..being happy with just that...........willing to put the time in scouting and finding a small pattern, before anyone else did....

When did your generation become so indifferent that...

simply going out there...breathing the salt air in.....fishing the night tides....scouting for bait....the anticipation of the fish....rather than actual numbers to brag about....was the chief draw pulling one out there? I fished in perfect conditions the other night...was the only fool giving it a shot...where I was.....scouting and casting, walking.....the quiet solitude of the trip....was invigorating......Though I didn't catch any fish.....it was the connection with nature and the outdoors....casting a line, getting back into the swing of things...walking the flats....finding a few winter spearing....getting excited when I found some more....finding some clear water to fish in....trying to formulate a plan of when to fish next....based on what I saw that night....feeling the tidal flow as the cold clean water ran through my weathered hands once more....

At one time....(back in the dinosaur days)......the trip itself used to be the draw.......not the internet chatter that "you should get out there now because it's ON!!!!"

Oh......the laziness of the younger generation......I could go on and on......but I won't......
    I'll just be happy as a dinosaur............and a crusty crabby old fart following in finchaser's footsteps....

"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau.

Lol, your always great for a good laugh buddy!

I haven't had a working fish finder on my kayak or boat for over two years! That's why I can't find the fish.

The patterns are all in my head that's why I am telling you 4/2 will be good in the RB :-)

haha the crabby dark is back lol! Good to see you posting again. Hope you weren't serious about Jbarbosa rant. Would like to see us all get along and get out fishing!

CH we're just ball busting here....in fact, with JB's permission.....I'm gonna write a story about him and the fishing character he's become in the bb thread when I get a chance....
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...Busting-thread

Thanks for the kind words.....I suppose I was fired up about that NMS possibility...and hope that everyone comes to understand just how serious a threat it is to all who love the outdoors....

Note- The above rant was for entertainment purposes only.....only some light hearted ball busting...
    DarkSkies....here for your entertainment.....featured at the Kusty Krab Restaurant at Cape Fear, NJ.....
    Only here for a limited time....catch him while you can......before he moves on to greener shorelines and whitewater destinations....

Check out this fantastic report gents. A guy named msgdan he is pretty well known and goes all over. Trip of a lifetime-

"Me and 3 friends got back last Monday after a great kayak trip to Panama. The weather was just about as perfect as it could be. The guide, food, new camp site with huts that sleep 2, running water, and solar electricity made for an amazing trip. The fishing was not as good as the last trip we were there, 2 years ago, but we all caught some big fish, lost a bunch of bigger fish and landed too many species to name. Here are just a few of the pictures."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 77591.jpg   77590.jpg  

77589.jpg   77588.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    DarkSkies....here for your entertainment.....featured at the Kusty Krab Restaurant at Cape Fear, NJ.....
    I feel stupid, I actually went on google and looked for the krusty crab in cape fear. Only there is no cape fear in NJ lol. Funny stuff gents keep up the good work and reports.

Wow great reports and fish thanks for sharing.

Nice work guys good luck to you all.

Thats some big fish right there! Will be at it again this morning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12