Thread: Surf Fishing popularity

Default Surf Fishing popularity

I think it is very high.
    I went to the Fishing Flea Market in St Joseph's college in Patchogue today. Got there 30 minutes after it opened. Crazy long line, almost not moving and heard the place was full. So I left. Was surprised, did not expect that.
    Earlier this year I went for the Caumsett State Park permit (limited amount they sell). Got there a few hours after they started selling them and there was at least a 2-3 hour wait, left that one too after 15 minutes. Thought after the initial long line the wait would be an hour most.
    The only other show I went to this year was Striper Day, very long line, crowded show, had a good time (in line talking fishing was fun and the show was good (and JAMMED)).
    I fished about 40 times in 2015, almost always from ~1:00 AM to ~8/10:00AM the latest, never a crowd, most times all alone.
    Surprising how many others are out there NOW who are so into this sport.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Yes Sir very popular out on the Island the only short wait is the state permit at Moses and the County permit.Other then that get there early or don't bother..
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

IMO I think catching is popular, but the actual part where you have to go out and find them without reports has dropped off. I have been out a few times this year early season and hardly anyone out there like you said monty. Then when a tackle shop or fb report blows up all those quiet places get crowded. And they were very peaceful just one week before. Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    Yes Sir very popular out on the Island the only short wait is the state permit at Moses and the County permit.Other then that get there early or don't bother..

Have to agree. The effort put into it may be waning but not with the permits. Have always followed the principle "you snooze you lose". You have to get right at it to make sure you get your permit each year. When I first started I missed out. Not any more. I learned real quick.

A lot of people try it not realizing how tough it is to catch some real nice stripers or blue fish or fluke, and then give up. it's a lot easier to catch them from the boat, and with all the Jetties wiped out in Jersey pretty much takes a lot of our fishing away. My .02

I think that's why plugging and throwing lures is tough too because you cant always catch them that way. Folks say the heck with this and just go back to using clams or bunker

Quote Originally Posted by nitestrikes View Post
    Have to agree. The effort put into it may be waning but not with the permits. Have always followed the principle "you snooze you lose". You have to get right at it to make sure you get your permit each year. When I first started I missed out. Not any more. I learned real quick.
    X2 on snooze you lose. I get stripers in different places each spring, but only for a week or 2 at a time and then they're gone.

That really is a small window. One fall season I promised the wife I would paint all the bedrooms and bathrooms upstairs. I figured I wouldn't miss much fishing as it was the middle of November already. Then the sand eels came in and they had great fishing especially around island beach. I missed all of it except for one day. Have to keep the wife happy though.