Thread: 2016 Long Island Fishing Reports Thread

Hybrid View

Went for a long ride this morning, fished from 2:15 to 10:15.
    Only managed 2 Blues, one was just over 30 inches, they are fun. Lost 1 gator missed a few hits and swirls. Had a couple schools of bunker around 9:00 AM show up. Lots of weeds especially at night on the outgoing. Crazy dark night out there. Fun trip. I be having issues finding stripes.
    First time that I took Outlander on this beach, it has been great in the sand

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Try montauk. A buddy of mine just came back and said they were catching stripers in the rips to 40 pounds during the day time. Early morning was best. Good luck.

Spot on capt. Fished out east this
    morning from 3 till 7 a.m. A few stripers to 36", and some good blue's for about a half hour in the.he morning. All on needlefish. Fish on!

Cool thanks. might head out there this afternoon.

Headed out east again, fished this morning 2:30-8:30.
    Fished ocean side, nice light surf but loads of weeds/dung almost everywhere.
    Cleaned line and plug off almost every cast, got somewhat better near end of trip.
    Around 6:30 on the back side of a wave I caught a ~32 inch bass on a Super Strike yellow popper.
    That was it, saw no bait.
    Talked with a couple guys who fished the complete night with rigged eels, they had caught a few blues.
    Fun trip, foggy, covered ~1 1/2 miles of rough terrain...., great to see stripes for a change, looking forward to next trip.

Nice catch on the striper. Rigged eels 4 blue fish? Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    Nice catch on the striper. Rigged eels 4 blue fish? Ouch!
    Thanks, bass are around out there, but not easy finding them.
    This morning I hit the water 2:15 and finished up around 8:45.
    There was mung amongst us, had to get out 10-30 feet to be relatively free from it.
    ~2:45 I hooked into a solid fish on a darter, made 3 slow runs then shook the hook.
    Missed a few hits ~5:00 caught a gator around 37 inches, awesome fight, it got into some current....awesome fun.
    Then I lost 4 fish in a row. Ended up with 5 blues, others around 30 inches +/-. Lost or missed 2x that.
    Lots of what looked like small spearing hugging the shore line. Blues came through quickly 1x slamming something, ended up catch one on a long cast with a Sper Strike Popper during that.
    Looking for Bass, but this trip was great fun with the blues, they were on roids. Had to work hard for them and it was a great time out there fishing.