Thread: 2016 Long Island Fishing Reports Thread

Hybrid View

SS 4 to 8:30a today. Nailed some decent blue fish, green and red tailed avas. Died when it reached high tide. Saw one small striper caught by a guy using clams. I'm not sure why, but it seems like there should be more strippers around for this time of year. My .O2

Fished 2 hours before sunset into the dark, and one hour after. gotta mess of bigger blues bucktail and pork. right before the sun went down switched to poppers and lost 2 of them on this new Power Pro I put on my reel this week. Will never use it again. Review in the other thread.

A few Bluefish up to 10 pounds this morning. One short striper about 24 inches. all on small diamond jig with green tail. This was the SS.

Quote Originally Posted by rockhopper View Post
    A few Bluefish up to 10 pounds this morning. One short striper about 24 inches. all on small diamond jig with green tail. This was the SS.
    2 weeks ago had similar trip Central SS, bass and blue around same size on SS darter and one around 10 pounds on SS popper.
    Last Sunday AM hit ocean up in jersey for 1 blue around 5 pounds.
    Will make a couple trips to LI this week.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Fished a CSS inlet this morning with a friend from 1:00 to 9:00.
    Awesome weather, lots of eel grass in the water until around 7:00 AM.
    He picked up a ~30 inch bass around 3:00 AM on a Tsunami sand eel.
    I picked up 9 blues 20-24 inch, mostly on Bucktails and Pork. They were deep. Missed a fews hits and dropped a few.
    Fished hard and had a very fun time.

Headed out center LI again, fished this morning from 1:00 to 10:30, ocean side and inlet. Ocean side ~22 inch bass around 2:30 on SS needle, 1:30 about same size blue on SS darter. Missed a bunch of hits and dropped a couple fish. Lots of wind in face.
    Then around 6:15 I got into some more blues until 8:30, about a dozen most around 30 inches. Again most were deep and used a bucktail. Did get 3 on Roddy's plugs (Thank you!).
    Lost more tackle to those blues in those 2 plus hours than the last 2 years combined.
    Moved back ocean side and between 9:00 and 10:30 I got another 6 blues up to 34 inches on poppers. Did get a 26 inch bass on an floating needle at 10:10 in the bright sun (that was a surprise, came out of the white water).

Real fun trip despite getting a blue attached to my wader crotch on that first fish. That woke me up.....I took on a bit of water the rest of the trip.

Fished out east yesterday after the rain. Lots of small blue fish on metal. sandeels around as well. No stripers for me tho. Still the bluefish were fun. My arms are tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Lost more tackle to those blues in those 2 plus hours than the last 2 years combined.

Real fun trip despite getting a blue attached to my wader crotch on that first fish. That woke me up.....I took on a bit of water the rest of the trip.
    No offense, but I'll never understand why people throw expensive plugs and lures to blues. get yourself a lot of metal and used bucktails in the winter, you're going to lose them anyway so why pay top-dollar?
    sorry to hear aboutyou hooking yourself. Almost seems like you wanted to put your willy out there as an offering to the fish!