Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Long Island Fishing Reports Thread

Fished 2 hours before sunset into the dark, and one hour after. gotta mess of bigger blues bucktail and pork. right before the sun went down switched to poppers and lost 2 of them on this new Power Pro I put on my reel this week. Will never use it again. Review in the other thread.

A few Bluefish up to 10 pounds this morning. One short striper about 24 inches. all on small diamond jig with green tail. This was the SS.

Quote Originally Posted by rockhopper View Post
    A few Bluefish up to 10 pounds this morning. One short striper about 24 inches. all on small diamond jig with green tail. This was the SS.
    2 weeks ago had similar trip Central SS, bass and blue around same size on SS darter and one around 10 pounds on SS popper.
    Last Sunday AM hit ocean up in jersey for 1 blue around 5 pounds.
    Will make a couple trips to LI this week.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Fished a CSS inlet this morning with a friend from 1:00 to 9:00.
    Awesome weather, lots of eel grass in the water until around 7:00 AM.
    He picked up a ~30 inch bass around 3:00 AM on a Tsunami sand eel.
    I picked up 9 blues 20-24 inch, mostly on Bucktails and Pork. They were deep. Missed a fews hits and dropped a few.
    Fished hard and had a very fun time.

Headed out center LI again, fished this morning from 1:00 to 10:30, ocean side and inlet. Ocean side ~22 inch bass around 2:30 on SS needle, 1:30 about same size blue on SS darter. Missed a bunch of hits and dropped a couple fish. Lots of wind in face.
    Then around 6:15 I got into some more blues until 8:30, about a dozen most around 30 inches. Again most were deep and used a bucktail. Did get 3 on Roddy's plugs (Thank you!).
    Lost more tackle to those blues in those 2 plus hours than the last 2 years combined.
    Moved back ocean side and between 9:00 and 10:30 I got another 6 blues up to 34 inches on poppers. Did get a 26 inch bass on an floating needle at 10:10 in the bright sun (that was a surprise, came out of the white water).

Real fun trip despite getting a blue attached to my wader crotch on that first fish. That woke me up.....I took on a bit of water the rest of the trip.

Fished out east yesterday after the rain. Lots of small blue fish on metal. sandeels around as well. No stripers for me tho. Still the bluefish were fun. My arms are tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Lost more tackle to those blues in those 2 plus hours than the last 2 years combined.

Real fun trip despite getting a blue attached to my wader crotch on that first fish. That woke me up.....I took on a bit of water the rest of the trip.
    No offense, but I'll never understand why people throw expensive plugs and lures to blues. get yourself a lot of metal and used bucktails in the winter, you're going to lose them anyway so why pay top-dollar?
    sorry to hear aboutyou hooking yourself. Almost seems like you wanted to put your willy out there as an offering to the fish!

Lmao sounds like an episode of jackass!

Quote Originally Posted by williehookem View Post
    No offense, but I'll never understand why people throw expensive plugs and lures to blues. get yourself a lot of metal and used bucktails in the winter, you're going to lose them anyway so why pay top-dollar?
    sorry to hear about you hooking yourself. Almost seems like you wanted to put your willy out there as an offering to the fish!
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhopper View Post
    Lmao sounds like an episode of jackass!

It certainly got my attention quick. Was a small hook hole 1/4", Aquasealed it.
    It wasn't really that bad, 5 leaders were shredded, lost one bucktail,couple shads and a plug that Rip-Plugger just gave me.
    Headed back out and fished this morning from 1:00 to 10:00.
    Had either a 20 MPH+ cross wind or it was in my face, tough conditions.
    Fished hard and caught 10 blues from 20 to 25 inches.
    Most caught on bucktails, but got 1 on an Ava, another a Rip-Pluggers plug, another on a Darter and popper.
    Missed a few hits and lost a few. Was fun as really had to work for them, when was not getting any action would switch up to something else and that would normally get a strike.
    Guys that were fishing metal gave up and left when they could not get a hit.
    I'm not anywhere close to being an adequate "bucktailer", so catching on them was a lot of fun.
    Fished whole time with 1 leader, nothing lost this trip .
    Through a rubber shad at times, not even a bump.

you guys complain that I am kinky. Hooking your willy is a little freaky. What's next whips and chains on the rocks?

Pretty decent spring so far in the back bays. Bass to 27#, blues to 19# all on swimmers. Things have slowed down a bit time to travel out east.

Headed out east, fished north side this morning from 2:15 to 9:00.
    Picked up a short bass on a needle around 2:30 and that was it for bass.
    Ended up with 16 blues between 20 and 30 inches, they are all over.
    Lost a bunch, missed a bunch.
    Tried getting below them, most caught on bucktails and darters.
    Fun time, nice weather.

SS inlet today. All the blues you wanted on bucktails. 3 short stripes as well.

Trip out East, Southside this morning.
    2:30-8:30, a mile plus of rock shore,weeds in close and water stained a bit.
    Saw no bait or signs of life. Saved from the skunk, one nice blue on a Super Strike Popper.
    Solitude, nice night, great to be out there.

way to go gents. Hearing that the bigger blues have moved to Long Island so I hope you can get some.

Fished way out East Sunday AM, 2:00-8:30.
    Major skunk, first one in 8 trips, amazed at lack of action.
    Water was full of weeds in close in most areas, saw no one and no bait.
    Heck of a workout, looking forward to next trip.

ss from 4am to sunrise. incoming water, not that many weeds.
    Threw bucktails, plugs, tins, and big wood. bondy's and Below around 9 pounds at 5:30. Where did all the stripers go? Even Captree boats have been striking out. May have to drive out east after this holiday weekend.

Fished SS ocean and inlet this morning 1:00-8:30.
    Started ocean side to, worked way to inlet, covered 2 miles. No action, maybe a bump or two.
    Sand Fleas out the wazoo ocean side in the dark.
    Weedy inlet.
    Fished hard for 3 cocktail blues on Ava and Super Strike Darter after sun up in the inlet.
    Worked way back and found nice rip ocean side, nice gator on Super Strike popper. Lost another one there too.
    Having difficulty finding stripes.

Went for a long ride this morning, fished from 2:15 to 10:15.
    Only managed 2 Blues, one was just over 30 inches, they are fun. Lost 1 gator missed a few hits and swirls. Had a couple schools of bunker around 9:00 AM show up. Lots of weeds especially at night on the outgoing. Crazy dark night out there. Fun trip. I be having issues finding stripes.
    First time that I took Outlander on this beach, it has been great in the sand

Try montauk. A buddy of mine just came back and said they were catching stripers in the rips to 40 pounds during the day time. Early morning was best. Good luck.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast