Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Long Island Fishing Reports Thread

Spot on capt. Fished out east this
    morning from 3 till 7 a.m. A few stripers to 36", and some good blue's for about a half hour in the.he morning. All on needlefish. Fish on!

Cool thanks. might head out there this afternoon.

Headed out east again, fished this morning 2:30-8:30.
    Fished ocean side, nice light surf but loads of weeds/dung almost everywhere.
    Cleaned line and plug off almost every cast, got somewhat better near end of trip.
    Around 6:30 on the back side of a wave I caught a ~32 inch bass on a Super Strike yellow popper.
    That was it, saw no bait.
    Talked with a couple guys who fished the complete night with rigged eels, they had caught a few blues.
    Fun trip, foggy, covered ~1 1/2 miles of rough terrain...., great to see stripes for a change, looking forward to next trip.

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Nice catch on the striper. Rigged eels 4 blue fish? Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    Nice catch on the striper. Rigged eels 4 blue fish? Ouch!
    Thanks, bass are around out there, but not easy finding them.
    This morning I hit the water 2:15 and finished up around 8:45.
    There was mung amongst us, had to get out 10-30 feet to be relatively free from it.
    ~2:45 I hooked into a solid fish on a darter, made 3 slow runs then shook the hook.
    Missed a few hits ~5:00 caught a gator around 37 inches, awesome fight, it got into some current....awesome fun.
    Then I lost 4 fish in a row. Ended up with 5 blues, others around 30 inches +/-. Lost or missed 2x that.
    Lots of what looked like small spearing hugging the shore line. Blues came through quickly 1x slamming something, ended up catch one on a long cast with a Sper Strike Popper during that.
    Looking for Bass, but this trip was great fun with the blues, they were on roids. Had to work hard for them and it was a great time out there fishing.

Nice work. I fished out east Friday night. a few Bass to mid teens on needles and darters. also got into some big blues as well. If you wade out a bit on the rocks you can avoid some of the weed.

Last Tuesday,AM again out there and 2 large blues around 7:00 AM on SS Popper.
    Wasn't feeling great and only fished a few hours
    This morning 2:00 to 9:00 South Side this time,missed a fish on a Hogy around 3:30, then a 30 inch bass on a bottle darter and a 25 inch bass on a SS popper, also lost a fish. Good to see stripes for a change, fun and a heck of a workout on the rocks.

Nice report thanks for sharing.
    haven't been fishing a lot lately because of so many weeds. Will be out again after the next new moon.

Good going. Fish are there in spurts, have to work for them. Way to put the time in. Fished out east yesterday afternoon Into the night. started off with a few teen blues on poppers. As you said they were far out. After dark some white bait came in close. Picked up a few stripes to mid-teens on darters. long night but worth it. Good luck gents.

wtg fellas tx for the heads up.
    Made the drive out east this morning, fished sunrise till 8 a.m., picked up a few monster gators on poppers. Saw no stripers caught, but did talk to a guy who has been doing well on eels. surprisingly light crowds for a Saturday.

Nice reports guys.
    Headed way out again this AM, fished 2:15 - 9:00.
    Nice night, calm surf. Mung up the wazoo.
    Picked up 5 shorts between 20 and 26 inches, Hogy, darter and 3 on the Blitzseeker.
    Missed a few hits, fun trip. Found some bunker that was washed up, missed that by a few hours I guess.
    Did not see any blues for the second straight trip.
    Good time as always, my balance on those rocks is laughable.

Dude I think I see your problem, you're fishing the boulder fields and not the ocean LOL! You gotta get way out further to get some decent stripers. Blue fish are there but they are also at the end of the cast. Tackle shops had some nice weigh ins this past week. Get yourself a wetsuit. good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by rockhopper View Post
    Dude I think I see your problem, you're fishing the boulder fields and not the ocean LOL! You gotta get way out further to get some decent stripers. Get yourself a wetsuit. good luck!
    LOL, have a wet suite and do go out further.
    Started getting out on the rocks a bit last year, heck of a learning experience.

HA.. I knew you would be suiting up,careful those rocks hurt like hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    LOL, have a wet suite and do go out further.
    Started getting out on the rocks a bit last year, heck of a learning experience.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

You should try a bucktail

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    You should try a bucktail
    times 2 I totally agree. Don't you ever use bucktails Monty? I know you said there's a lot of weeds, but when the tide is strong and you have a good sweep, bucktails are killer. Bucktails and darters. hope that helps.

Fished out east late last night. I wanted to time it with the high tide but damn the tide was so late I am dragging at work today. 5 Bass to 38 inches, most were small but one nice one. All released. 38 incher hit a yellow darter.

To the east before the holiday. been very busy with work and wanted to get some fishing time in so I went Wednesday night. the rain was tough and I had to sit in for a while until it stopped. Blue fish in the five to eight pound class, scattered on poppers. Then I picked up a few runt stripers in the first half hour before sunrise on needle fish.
    Good luck this weekend folks it's going to be crowded.

congrats on the catching gents. Friends of mine were there this weekend. Seems like action has heated up a little bit. Boats are doing well with scattered fish along the shoreline.

Fished out east this am. Got some blues to 10# on poppers around sunrise. About a half-hour after the sun came up, Albi's came through and I managed two on small tins after clipping off my leader and direct tying. what I caught was only a small part of the scene.
    There were false albacore busting all over. I think it's going to be a great year for them.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast