Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Long Island Fishing Reports Thread

Decided to try East again. Last night found some runts on the rocks .
    LOTS of guys out very few striped ones. Where are the fall run fish?

Persistence pays off but every year it is going to be worse the decline in bass is at a devastating level and the only thing you can expect is runts that size class will be the future if any of the bass.Enjoy whatever may be left and pray for some blues to lessen the pain.History has repeated itself.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

^^^^I agree. Fished W of mecca this morning. 2 hours pre dawn and 2 after. Two schoolies on the SS and a few blues to 9#.

Mostly blue fish, but got a few stripers this weekend out East.

Better fishing out East. Spent the whole day yesterday. Started 3am. Got a mess o bass to 17lbs. Most were between 22-27". Buck and pork. Some monster blues as well. Great white water.

Have been out that way twice in the last week. Things definitely getting better.

Tried a little closer to me on the SS last night. Picked up a handful of shortys, all on bucktail.

Fished closer to home last night, SS beach. Picked up some runts and two that weighed 16 and 14 pounds on the boga. Still swimming. On darters.

Nice going! I was out there on the ss as well. Picked up a couple of small stripers, bucktail and pork. It can only get better from here on in

Good job!

Fished CSS this morning 2:00 to 9:00.
    Around 2:45 a short bass on Coltsniper Jerkbait.
    Then had a bunch of hits, solid ones, spaced out on the trip on the same plug, bucktails and Mega darter.
    My reflexes were like a rock!!! Frustrating trip.
    Nice water, had been doing much better in the area the last month (actually hooking up).
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

hey you got to be in it to win it, right?

Out on the SS last night. Finally picked up a few runts on a shad. About a half hour after dark I decided to throw a big danny. I wasn't paying much attention and thinking about dinner when I got whacked so hard my pole bent in half. fish on for maybe a minute, few drag screaming runs and then pop she broke my leader. I checked the line and it must have been frayed from when I was dragging the shads across the sand on the bottom. Definitely my PB striper for this year or any other I'll never know how big that fish was.

Same place last night, got blanked. It's like feast or famine out there.

Crazy trip. Fished this morning from 12:00-8:00, think I was in the twilight zone.
    I have missed a lot of hits the last few trips and started off with missed hits on Plastic Swimmer, then bucktail and then SS Bottle (so normal trip so far).
    Then make a cast and bottle goes off into the Atlantic with ~40 yards of line.
    Check tip, OK, chalk it up to line compromised.
    Few casts and hit on SS Black/Purple darter. I set the hook, rod bends big time and off goes the fish, darter and ~40 yards of line.
    Look at all the guides, find one with 1/4 of the ferrule gone, sharp edges.
    Break off the rest of it with pliers and ready to go.
    Catch a bass on blurple Loki Skinny Minnie around 28 inches.
    Few casts later hook into another fish on the Loki, seems bigger, drag pulled and after short fight, its gone.
    Couple casts later miss a hit on Loki.
    I look at plug and the hook is gone. So lost fish took hook.
    Pretty much it, missed a few hits after that (need to sharpen my bucktails, don't seem to be sticking). Place got crowded and I moved to other water just before sun up.
    Never lost a fish either of those ways before.
    Weird trip, would have liked to have landed those other two fish.

Whoa! If it wasn't for bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all. sorry to hear that dude. That really sucks

Quote Originally Posted by williehookem View Post
    Whoa! If it wasn't for bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all. sorry to hear that dude. That really sucks
    Weird trip, a bit frustrating. Still fun. I'm always glad when I beat the skunk and just getting out on the water trying to catch fish is fun.
    I am going to sharpen all my hooks, I have missed way to many solid hits the last 3 trips (I'm getting a complex).

Sorry for the delayed report. Had a pretty good night Saturday on the SS. From 12 till 5. Good pick of fishto high teens all night on big wood and SS bottles. The crowds were terrible. Bad behavior all around. one of the reasons why I'm usually not out fishing on the weekends.

Sorry to hear about your experience Monty. I am in the water a lot and my hooks and gear usually gets wet. Sometimes I change my hooks twice a season. Fwiw

Quote Originally Posted by nitestrikes View Post
    Sorry to hear about your experience Monty. I am in the water a lot and my hooks and gear usually gets wet. Sometimes I change my hooks twice a season. Fwiw
    Not a big deal, I change them out frequently too, plus rinse after almost each trip, think my bucktails are the ones that really need sharpening.
    Fished this morning a new area for me ocean side 1:00-9:30.
    Covered a lot of area, at the end of my walk just before sun up I was getting "bumps" and it was bunker.
    Sun came up and bunker was out the wazoo, no swirls. One guy was fishing within site and he caught one ~40 inch bass on snag and drop over 2 hours. To much bunker, I had to move was hooking them on everything I threw. Moved out of the bunker and picked up one almost legal bass on a SS popper.
    Lots of exercise, great being out on a chilly night.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast