Thread: Striper time in Montauk

Default Striper time in Montauk

Well gents the fish are here! Some charter captains are getting them on umbrella rigs and trolling. Some big blues too. Time to fish hard!

Yahoo about time!

I would love to go up there one day and catch strippers.

Don't mean to be negative, but from what I heard Montauk is all rocks that are slippery. I'm not good on the rocks and would end up in traction. For those guys who can jump around with the korkers on, God bless!

You need to invest in a good pair of Korkers, and have a backup as well in your truck. Tape them to the bottom of your feet with duct tape. For the new inexperienced guys you should always go with someone else first. Fish the mostly sandy beaches until you feel comfortable around the rocks. Work into the rocks a little at a time, slowly in the daytime. Montauk is a place like no other. Not as great as it once was but still invigorating for me when I can get there. Good luck.

Yes it is. Will be making some trips after this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by nitestrikes View Post
    You need to invest in a good pair of Korkers, and have a backup as well in your truck. Tape them to the bottom of your feet with duct tape. For the new inexperienced guys you should always go with someone else first. Fish the mostly sandy beaches until you feel comfortable around the rocks. Work into the rocks a little at a time, slowly in the daytime. Montauk is a place like no other. Not as great as it once was but still invigorating for me when I can get there. Good luck.
    Solid advice, would say x2

Quote Originally Posted by nitestrikes View Post
    I started fishing out there alone 2 years ago with zero knowledge of the place.
    When I first went out I started on the sand beaches like you said, then North of the Light a few times.
    I then hired Bill Wetzel for a guided trip. Just talking with him about Montauk was well worth the price. He answered all my questions and discussed many aspects of fishing the different areas. I then ventured into the south side on my own and it is to me the most fun place to fish. Structure out the wazoo.
    I love the place. Invigorating... Oh yes, I agree. If you would have bumped into me out there the first year I had a happy grin on my face every second, I was in awe of the place.

Will likely head out there late tomorrow night for the first time this year.

Thinking back, the early trips I was very intimidated by the walks in the dark of the night, the rocks, the cliffs, narrow areas between the breaking waves and tall bluffs.
    While still in awe, slowly I started to push back, become more aggressive.....slowly. Accumulating stories about the trips. Slowly learning. Each trip out there has been a solid experience.

For me its a pure adrenaline rush, can't wait to get out there.

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)