Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shark Fishing in NJ

Default Great white shark caught and released at Sea Girt reef

A few kids caught and released this great white at the Sea Girt reef earlier in the week, what an amazing catch!

Full story in the Coast Star. What a toothy critter!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails greatwhiteSgirtreef7-08.jpg  

Incredible!

that's a deadly catch!

Details - the shark was between 5-6' long, estimated at around 150lbs, kids were in a 23' Mako. Released at boatside. I read the story in the paper, but the online news site won't let you read the internet version unless you are a member. What's up with that?

6' long, that shark's still a baby. still enough to take a chunk or 2 out of a swimmer's leg. Many people may not know the RB and surrounding area is considered a birthing ground for great whites.

Default 2nd Great white shark caught at Sea Girt Reef

Sea Girt spots white shark

by Al Ristori/For The Star-Ledger Wednesday August 13, 2008, 9:25 PM

Rob Depietri of Mahwah was chumming at Sea Girt Reef on Saturday from his Sharkey's Machine out of Brick for the brown sharks that have been so abundant inshore this summer, when Lance Super of Vernon hooked into something that didn't look like a brown at all.

Depietri thought they had a mako that wasn't fighting much until they put a tail rope on it. The 6 1/2-foot shark, a female estimated at 200 pounds, then got mad, and they were about to gaff it when Depietri noticed the lack of blue coloration and asked Rich Rube of Lake Hopatcong to check out the teeth -- which were triangular rather than curved as in the mako.

White sharks are a protected species and must be released. Though rarely hooked by shark anglers, they're probably more abundant in area waters than we suspect. When the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service had a sportfish lab at Sandy Hook decades ago, Jack Casey started establishing his reputation as a shark scientist by setting out a longline off Sandy Hook and catching numerous white shark pups. He told me about this in confidence as they felt if that information about our area being a possible breeding ground for whites got out to the public there would be a panic.

I would love to catch a great white by accident one day. Not to bring it in, but just to bring close to the boat, so I could see those jaws of death.

Quote Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post
    I would love to catch a great white by accident one day. Not to bring it in, but just to bring close to the boat, so I could see those jaws of death.
    Yeah ok, I'm with ya, as long as you're the one leadering it in.

Fox news picked up the story and interviewed these guys. Sharkey's Machine. Lance Stupor & Bob Dipietri.

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/video0...w.foxnews.com/

Default tell me about the sharks at night

A lot of guys seem to be talking about catching sharks at night this summer. What kinds of sharks are you guys getting, and what is the best bait, times, and tide? Thanks.

I heard brown and bull sharks were on the menu. A few friends have been fluke fishing within 1/2mile of shore and came back with only the fluke head on the line. A shark that can eat a fluke whole has to be pretty decent size, over 6'.

I have been getting mostly brown sharks, and some smooth dogfish. There are some regulations for brown sharks, make sure you guys follow them. It's not that big a deal at night, but you really aren't supposed to be "targeting" them as they are protected. Any smart enforcement officer knows that you can't dictate what hits your line, so I think they would be lenient as long as you put it back quickly.It wouldn't be a great idea to take a video of the brown shark while all the family members are holding it and passing it around, though. Plus it could be a tad dangerous, lol. Watch those teeth!

NOAA:
    http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfa/hms/bro...une%202008.pdf

RELEASE INFORMATION
    If you catch a prohibited species or an undersized
    shark, you must release that fish to the sea immediately
    with a minimum of injury and without removing the fish
    from the water. If you are not sure of the species and
    whether you may keep it, release it. Recreational
    fishermen can no longer retain sandbar or “brown”
    sharks or silky sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    NOAA:
    http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfa/hms/bro...une%202008.pdf

RELEASE INFORMATION
    sharks or silky sharks.
    I'm not sure if that is correct FnM. This came from another site, apparently in that release they are talking about recreational fishermen fishing from boats. I think the surf regs are a little different, but I'm not sure, as I fish from my boat more than the surf. As far as I know I have to follow the regs, but you guys don't. Anyone who has different info please post it.

"Browns cannot be kept in Federal waters, but can be kept in state waters (within 3 miles). Also, technically anyone with a Pelagic permit is not allowed to keep a Brown in any waters, technically."

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    I think the surf regs are a little different, but I'm not sure, as I fish from my boat more than the surf. As far as I know I have to follow the regs, but you guys don't. Anyone who has different info please post it.
    I found the same thing, and it looks like you are not allowed to keep them. Is there a suggestion someone has for further searching?

RELEASE INFORMATION
    sharks or silky sharks.

"I'll tell ya about the sharks....
    Sometimes that shark he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. And, you know, the thing about a shark... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living... until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all the poundin' and the hollerin', they all come in and they... rip you to pieces."

Throw out a bunch of bloody meat, bunker, guts, heads, what have you, and the sharks will come. They cruise the currents at night looking for food. Go get em lads.

Default Shark Fishing in NJ

Shark fishing, who targets the big browns and sandbars from shore?

Default Sharks being caught off Island Beach state park

Anyone up for some midnight sharkin?
    Sent in by Finchaser, thanks.

Sharks Being Caught off Island Beach State Park

Sharks, rays being caught in Seaside and Island Beach

Local anglers are adding a few warm water fish to their list this week, including four-foot sharks off of the southern stretches of the barrier island.
    Sharks and stingrays have been caught by fishermen this week using atlantic menhaden, or bunker, for bait. Anglers are also catching fluke, bluefish and the occasional striped bass.

With increased numbers of sharks and rays in the water beachfronts have been put on high alert. A man was stung this week in Island Beach State Park by a stingray, officials reported.

Sandbar sharks, or Carcharhinus plumbeus, or in town and being caught mainly on night on bunker. These sharks are similar in size to young bull sharks with a snub nose and elongated dorsal fin.

Since both the sandbar shark and the bull shark are related genentically it is possible for one to be misidentified for another.

Warmer water from the south has been a driving force behind a large number of sightings.Fish follow the Gulf Stream up from the south and tend to come close inshore when the water gets very warm. New Jersey is home to many sharks and rays during the summer months including cownose rays and southern stingrays.

Both rays and sharks are biting at night on bunker using a shark rig or a float-rig with a steel leader. Sandbars, or "brown sharks" are averaging 4-feet which is about the size of the one this author caught on Wedensday night.

http://brick.patch.com/articles/shar...park?ncid=M255

Time for a plug for the Brick Patch....

Fin's sending me these articles all the time. Funny thing is...I find all of them interesting and informative.

At a time when most newspapers are shrinking or dying,, I feel the Brick Patch is a standout in it's field.
    And that's what today's newspapers have to do to survive, become standouts, bring people the news that they are interested in, and cultivate an online following and presence.

This is not a paid announcement as they are not a sponsor here.
    However, for anyone who lives in Ocean County, or just wants to keep a handle on what's happening down there, I encourage you to give the Brick Patch a look.

You don't even have to deal with delivery...they will send it to you online....

Get patched in...
    Get Patched In

Brick news, events, and deals, delivered straight to you.
    http://brick.patch.com

Tell your neighbors...

Shark fn soup anyone?

Just be careful guys, in DE they can't even bring them up on the sand anymore. 2 local kids got fined $269 in court after catching a 9 foot sandbar shark.
    http://www.delawareonline.com/articl...yssey=obinsite

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast