Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing the canal and the cape

Default Fishing the canal and the cape

I'm trying not to hype this up so I was debating whether to post the thread or not. just thought I would share a little bit of my experiences this year.
    Got a few fish 2 mid twenties early on. There was about 10 days of good action when they first came through. Right after that it shut off for a little while. it has been hit or miss since then and I have taken to the kayak fish some outer areas at night.

If you're a tourist and come up for the day you may have a shot at a few schoolies at the Cape. For me it has been a slow pick. There is a lot of bait but only limited shots of bigger stripers at night. Or sometimes in the daytime when they are gorging on the sandeels, baby pollock, mackerel etc.

Thanks for the heads up, always wanted to go up there but a lot of guys I know have been skunked. seems like you really have to be a local to dial in to the best bites.

The influx from Jersey has started. Like lemmings. I have been into some decent fish, but I'm taking the weekend off because it's getting a little crazy. Good luck everyone.

To follow up, the traffic has been crazy since the comm season started. Also lots of plates from out of state. When did the canal become the only place to catch? Don't you folks have stripahs in your home waters?

To all the report chasers coming up here. The striped bass have all been caught and put in coolers. Commercial quota is at 67%. Any fish left are floating down the canal by the idiots culling fish. Where are the EPOs when you need one? So there are no more stripahs, just lots of bait and peanuts. Nothing more I hate than report chasers. End of rant.

I was there on fri. Caught a few stripers to about 17lbs. poppers. Some guys down from me got a much larger one. Looked like opening day of trout season. A real sh*t show!

Saw the carnage on fb. No way I would ever fish close enough to another man to smell his sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by williehookem View Post
    Saw the carnage on fb. No way I would ever fish close enough to another man to smell his sweat.
    That type of fishing is not what I enjoy.
    I like the solitude, either walking a sand beach in the early AM, fishing an inlet at 3:00 AM, hiking over rocks.
    If people start showing up where I am fishing, I leave. I don't care how easy the fishing is.
    I guess we each fish for a different reason. I use hot reports for other reasons, one is to not go there.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Wow, crazy, agreed.

Have been there a few times in the last 2 months. I think the canal b&t and facebook folks don't help anything at all by hyping it the way they do. My .02 only.

What he said - S*H*I*T*S*H*O*W!!

I used to fish it occasionally when I first moved here. Over the years it has changed for the worse. You can blame fb and the net for that.

Quote Originally Posted by williehookem View Post
    What he said - S*H*I*T*S*H*O*W!!
    yessir
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img23435y54.jpg  

The lure of the canal.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05820.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	21151

The madness has already started. I've been catching fish for 2 weeks now near the islands and outer beaches. All of a sudden "it's on" if you go by the social media idiots lol. Here is a map of the canal, wonder what the most popular pole will be. No one wants to put the work in. Have at it, ladies and gents. I'm happy with my isolated spots where no one wants to venture.

Sobering pic Charlie thanks for sharing.

It's the beginning of the end.

Apparently this year is not as easy. The newly minted FB sharpies are crying. Back to normal. Very happy.

Starting to get a few larger ones from the yak. Out near the bay at night. Trolling xraps and t&w. Drove past some CCC action the other morning on the way home as well.

I heard it was so crowded there were people lined up every 50 feet along both sides. Thanks, but no thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast