Thread: Losing LI access, birds and trash

Default Losing LI access, birds and trash

Every year it seems like it gets worse and worse where I fish. Earlier this year it was the homeowners in the Hamptons fighting against the "scary trucks" that have been coming to the beach for years. it is so ridiculous a concept I would have never thought to have seen it, but now it's in the courts.

The latest are the plovers at Smith point. Friends of mine are personally affected with business revenues tanking during those last two months. Smith Point used to be a great place to fish night tides, now it's off limits. I understand plovers are important, but I think they have left their nests. Enough is enough already.
    http://abc7ny.com/business/businesse...birds/1457307/

I can agree with protecting an endangered bird. there has to be a balance though. otherwise you have a beach area where conditions are similar to Hatteras.

SP has been one of my favorite spots and I have never really had a bad day there.As you mentioned year after year the access is getting to be a shorter period of time that is available to use this beach and many others,it was one of the reasons I slowly but surely gave up my passion for surf fishing in NY.I never left that beach without a garbage bag full of everyone else's crap after fishing I would start picking up trash it really made me sick.For the most part it was the day trippers crap not the fishermen.As far as the plovers I do believe the County takes advantage and extends beach closures long after the birds have left their nests.Then we have the Hamptons if you live on the Island you know the deal,big money and local Gov't. work hand in hand trying to take over the whole beach for their exclusive pleasure.After living on the Island for over 50 years I quite honestly have had enough with NY my home is up for sale and I have been living in NC for a year now my taxes are $2300 a year for a home and property that is double the size of our NY home where our taxes are $12,000 a year for roads that suck parks you cannot use etc. I still have not started to fish again but I am enjoying myself much more now and my stress levels have dropped quite a bit.Sorry I got on one of Darks rants..lol.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

^^ Well said post of the month. I agree 100%

I also want to ask a question out loud that if we don't stop the plovers from taking over our beaches, will the time come soon when we have no beaches?

Quicker then you think,the County just looks at SP as 6 miles of beach(you paid for the permit already)that they don't have to maintain saving them more money to blow on Political Correctness (deep pockets and buddies that need pay backs from the last election)they do call it Crookhaven.. That's just one beach they control, the State will be next in line but SP is famous for the later then usual openings RM to some point also.QUOTE=williehookem;93775]I also want to ask a question out loud that if we don't stop the plovers fom taking over our beaches, will the time come soon when we have no beaches?[/QUOTE]
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Well-said. Haha on the crookhaven too! I totally agree

I fear we are losing our planet to the tree-huggers.