Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing reports for Oct 2016

At least some of you are catching, congrats. Was out 2 times in the last two weeks and skunked out each time. must be my timing LOL. I know I should probably try to go fishing more. Will keep at it, looking for my first New Jersey keeper striper for the fall run.

Fishing Reports for October 2016 - www. StripersAndAnglers.com

Short and sweet......

1. Post your fishing reports here.....
    2. Be as specific as ya want....but remember the*limited access....If you don't enjoy fishing next to 40 friends at night in a 400 foot section of beach,"think"before ya post.....

3.Location
    Out front....
    out back.....
    or the county...

further details on the first page of any past S&A monthly fishing reports.

4.Moderation...
    I rarely have time to moderate these threads.
    If something needs to be addressed,and you are a contributing member.....please PM me or send an e-mail via the report post button.

**Thanks for your cooperation and for being such a great group!

"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau.

^ VS, getting out there as much as you can is the key. Keep a fishing log, and follow it religiously. Be flexible and adaptive enough to modify your tactics when conditions change. A good log will help you make those decisions and see trends. However it's up to you to see the trends and be willing to change as conditions change around you.
    Good to hear you are trying. Now is the time to be out there trying, no matter what the reports say. The more you put yourself in potentially good water, the better your chances are. A fishing log will be invaluable to teach you these lessons. They are ones you can't learn on the Internet.

As you learn, it's a thrilling sense of achievement when your thoughts and strategies lead you to success. Sometimes it's just dumb luck. We all are happy when that happens. However, by keeping a good fishing log, recognizing patterns, and adapting, you have greater control over your own destiny. I will continue to post some reports and insight in the night tides thread. A little behind on that now, but stay tuned and I'll be posting again shortly. In sum, I have had some decent nights in the last 2 months, and some terrible nights. Consistently smaller fish, bass, and blues, and a huge disappointment that larger blues haven't shown up like they have been doing, end of Sept. Still, being out there gives you a better chance of catching, than being at home. Good luck, people.

"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau.

He's back! For better or for worse lol. Just busting stones DS good to see you posting again. Def agree about putting your time in, there's no substitute for time on the water.

In the back last night, incoming tide. There were some peanuts gathered up in a shallow area near a marina. Picked up a few shorties on a SW rattletrap. Couldn't get them to hit anything else they were so focused on the peanuts.

I found lots of bait in the back as well. Same tide incoming. Where I was it was a lot of rain fish and spearing. Tough to hook up for me though. Frustrating. Finally managed one 28" on the nose, released. Pink finS did the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by VSdreams View Post
    At least some of you are catching, congrats. Was out 2 times in the last two weeks and skunked out each time. must be my timing LOL. I know I should probably try to go fishing more. Will keep at it, looking for my first New Jersey keeper striper for the fall run.

Keep it up. We who catch are usually out every day. You don't always hear about the skunks so we may appear to be better fishermen than we are. Don't get discouraged, put your time in, and your luck should improve. Mornings have been better for me. As the Fall run progresses the first light bite should transition to a sunrise to first 2 hours in the morning bite. Try to think about that and fish top water if you see feeding fish. Otherwise try low and slow like bucktails or metal, which usually are successful for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    He's back! For better or for worse lol. Just busting stones DS good to see you posting again. Def agree about putting your time in, there's no substitute for time on the water.
    Agree with hook. good to see you back in the mix Rich was starting to get worried about you. It has been way too long. You are always welcome in my area if you can drag yourself away from work at that time, Tight lines my friend.

Fished my usual area this morning pre sunrise. Water was pretty low, close to low tide. That's probably why I got the skunk, Didn't see any bait in the surf. Just one of those mornings. Water was building with a gradual NE swell. Still clean and fishable. I imagine the NE pattern coming in this weekend will shut things down for awhile with big surf and dirty water. We shall have to see.

thanks for the up-to-date Intel guys. I am hoping that the water stays clean for at least the next 24 hours. Getting ready to head out now. Will keep you posted. Good luck guys

and mr. dark, great to have you back again. Really missed your Slice of Life crusty observations LOL.

I think this weekend will be better for surfing than stripering but will attempt a little of both.

Hi everyone, Finally got out yesterday first time this year. I was out front tons of peanuts and too many hickories. I seen no predator fish except hickories caught Fished from 6 to 10am. incoming. It was great being by the water with Rod in hand.

vpass haven't seen you posted a long time.
    you're the guy who does a lotta fly fishing rlght? nice to see your post again. Good luck for the fall.

I fished Ocean County this morning above Island Beach. Walked the few beaches from 5 a.m. until 8. heard they were getting a lot of fish there but I didn't run into any. I did try pretty hard, casting bucktails,diamond jigs, and a few poppers. I did raise what seemed like a blue, but he turned away and did not come back. May try again tomorrow if it's not too windy because the wind was definitely building up today.

Try clams. Fished the incoming last night IBSP for a few hours. One short, and one 29 incher brought home for dinner. I would say they are around, but not in large numbers. You really just have to be out there when they're passing by. They are crushing them 2-3 miles offshore. Big fish.

Quote Originally Posted by vpass View Post
    Hi everyone, Finally got out yesterday first time this year. I was out front tons of peanuts and too many hickories. I seen no predator fish except hickories caught Fished from 6 to 10am. incoming. It was great being by the water with Rod in hand.
    Good to see you back. I have been doing okay working the bottom with different metal and mostly bucktails. This time of year the bite should be on fire. It has been hit and miss for me though. Shifting to a pre sunrise focus has helped me a little.Good luck.

Blast from the pass vpass! Great to see you posting again, man.
    Fishing report, I drove the roads between Ocean County and Monmouth County today back and forth, between the rain. Actually the surf isn't that bad at this point because the wind has been knocking it down. I found some weedy areas, but a lot of clean water as well. Unfortunately no real fish. Managed two short stripers and a few cocktails on a popper. Water is definitely fishable and I will probably be out again tonight.

Fished hard last two nights in a row. Saturday night was pretty rough with the heavy winds. Big old skunk. Last night I did better, moving around to a few spots. Found a lot of small bait, so I downsized the offerings. Picked up 8 bass alternating between mag darters and rubber at each place. Nicer size fish, six of them were keepers to 16 pounds. All released. Catch em up fellas.

Awesome! All in the middle of the night if I could ask? Nothing at daybreak? thanks

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast