Thread: Nomad Fishing - Travelling to the Fish

Default Nomad Fishing - Travelling to the Fish

How far would you travel to catch a fish?

I always wanted to fish Block Island or some of the places in Rhode Island. I think if they are bailing fish somewhere and not here I might want to pay for the gas.

Default Nomad Fishing...Travelling to the Fish

Some of you people were asking about travelling from one state to the other, to get fish.
    I understand that, and have followed fish up and down the coast on their Spring and Fall migration.

Some others here do it regularly.
    Thought I would post it here, so we can help any and all who may want to do this.

Someone texted me today and said" NJ sucks! If I get one more skunk I'll be on suicide watch!"

My answer is that fishing is very different this year, at least it has been for me....

That being said....many of my friends are making the trek back to Montauk, and the SS of LI. because the fish we are expecting here at this time of year....are just not here...or not here in any appreciable numbers....

Even the glowing boat NJ reports are not so glowing, if you read between the lines.....

So if ya want to travel to LI now because you're dying to get a fish....I certainly understand...
    I believe that those big fish are here in NJ already, albeit not in numbers that most would see. Those in some NJ crews I know have been nailiing bass to 33#, from land, for most of Oct....so I'll be staying in NJ, and continue looking...

Some friends have done quite well in LI..and some not...as Surfstix and other members here will tell you the bite changes from one day to the next...these are not acres of fish we are talking about...there have been some fantastic catches. IMO they are moments in time and no real pattern is evident as guys jump around from beach to beach every day or night....

**I hope our members can post
    1. tips of what docs are needed to fish other states....
    2. along with other helpful tips. Be as specific or general as you want....I find it much more rewarding finding fish on my own...as long as I know they are in a certain area I will give it my all....and if ya want to be more specific...that's what PMs are for....

This fall will go down as the most challenging, or disappointing, that I have ever fished....
    I know lots of ya's feel the same way....Good luck people.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    **I hope our members can post
    1. tips of what docs are needed to fish other states....
    For any LI fishermen coming to fish NJ.....

1. You could have a NOAA registration card...
    2. But the NJ registration still seems to be required...link to it here......

http://www.nj.gov/dep/saltwaterregistry/
    NOTE: Anglers with a valid registration with the National Saltwater Angler Registry or have a valid license from another exempted state are required to register (for free) with the NJ Saltwater Recreational Registry Program. Registration with NJ will exempt you from having to register with the National Saltwater Angler Registry.

thanks dark might come that way in Dec

I want to say that I think it suxxx that they make us register in the first place. God gave us the ocean for free and even if we don't have to pay that is one more government intrusion that we don't need.

Who is going to post the info about the best porta potties along the way?
    Dark, are you listening?

I clicked on this thread from the link posted in the other post. To answer the question I would travel about 2 to 2 1/2 hours each way. To drive from LI to NJ would be perfect if you guys had the sandeels like you did when they posted that picture from that island beach. Anything more than that becomes a big expedition. I like my fishing trips to be plain and simple. my .02

Quote Originally Posted by 7deadlyplugs View Post
    I clicked on this thread from the link posted in the other post. To answer the question I would travel about 2 to 2 1/2 hours each way. To drive from LI to NJ would be perfect if you guys had the sandeels like you did when they posted that picture from that island beach. Anything more than that becomes a big expedition. I like my fishing trips to be plain and simple. my .02
    My long trips out to the Island are basically 3 1/2 to 6 hours travel and 6-9 hours fishing depending on where on the Island I fish. The longer the ride, the less time fishing. The beach replenishment really turned me off to NJ.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I normally have about an hours ride to my fishing grounds. I might make it two hours but longer and I would rather not go. I don't know how some of you guys do it. I did a google map search to drive to the massachusets canal is 6 hours for me. No way.

Thanks for starting this thread, hooked. It's popularity has dramatically increased since many fishable areas were destroyed by beach replenishment. Thought some might want to add to this with any advice or experiences.

"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau.