Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Who, What, WHERE, Why, and How Thread....Real talk and Crusty Advice...Old School

Such great advice, and seemingly without the grouchiness that was promised? I feel cheated! where are the crusties and crabby's?

Rofl advice is only good if someone is shouting at you? Seriously dude?

Yeah if the guy has barnacles growing on him it might be better received.

I have a question and hope maybe one of the old salts or someone else can answer. Why do the fish keep banker's hours this fall? I mean why are they only around in the afternoon? It's like if you have a job you're not going to have a chance to catch. Almost like you have to be out chasing after blitzes everyday to really hook up with some stripers. What gives with that?

Ooh ooh I have a question mr. Kotter. Why is everyone out fishing when the internet reports are all over about the blitzes. when most of the stripers leave and it gets a little cold out, then no one is fishing for them anymore? What happened to putting the time in and working for your catch?

No one wants to do that anymore, not when you can chase reports on Facebook. Just my .02. I still believe in working for them.

Quote Originally Posted by lostatsea View Post
    I have a question and hope maybe one of the old salts or someone else can answer. Why do the fish keep banker's hours this fall? I mean why are they only around in the afternoon? It's like if you have a job you're not going to have a chance to catch. Almost like you have to be out chasing after blitzes everyday to really hook up with some stripers. What gives with that?
    It's because there are simply not enough fish to go around. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed. the only ones who don't know that are the newbies.

Quote Originally Posted by nitestrikes View Post
    It's because there are simply not enough fish to go around. Just my 2 cents.
    The charter and party boats have wiped the Raritan resident stock out. We used to have fifty to a hundred fish nights on clams in the spring. those days are mostly over. Me and my crew have shifted to the Hudson and harbor areas to catch stripers.

New guys looking for some good advice for the spring, follow the bunker.

I agree. Also look for the winter spearing. Try to find them at night. When they are around have found some stripes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by porgy75 View Post
    Such great advice, and seemingly without the grouchiness that was promised? I feel cheated! where are the crusties and crabby's?
    Well-said. I have issues with the Facebook Sharpies who base there fishing on report chasing. Walk the beach or bay during low tide moon cycles. Open your eyes, look, listen, learn. More valuable than any internet fishing report will ever be. You can take that to the bank.

When I was a kid, there was a bridge I used to go to in the springtime and check out the fishermen fishing in the shadows. There were these two older guys who you somehow knew were the better fishermen near that bridge. They were only there late at night. I got to know them and they took a liking to me after a while. Whenever a casual observer came up and asked "hey guys are you catching any big ones?" - their standard answer was: "nope not catching much, just fishing." By the end of the night they usually had a 20 or 30 pound bass. Classic old school values and attitude.

Same thing with the Power Plant. 15 20 years ago you would be out all night and you might run into one or two guys.
    Now the Abercrombie & Fitch posers show up a lot. Boy how things have changed.

I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question. I have heard a lot of times that scouting a spot is good, but is there any way to be more specific? What do you guys look for when you are scouting? Thanks

Some crusty advice, don't know how to make it any simpler. Put down the damn cell phone and fish.

Scouting, you will learn more the more times you are out. For the bay at low tide, look for humps or pieces of structure that rise above others. Look for small depressions or areas of deeper water. Even if they are only 100 feet across they can hold fish at high tide. Basically, you look for the differences in structure each time you are out scouting, and figure out how that plays into fish hanging out to ambush prey.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    Some crusty advice, don't know how to make it any simpler. Put down the damn cell phone and fish.

Personally I wish someone would invent a cell phone jammer. When the hordes from NJ and NY come up here in the late spring and summer following cell phone and Fb reports, I wish there was some way you could ride along the CC canal and jam their transmissions. Hardly anyone wants to know the why. They jump from Facebook page to page to find the bite. The way things are going scouting and keeping fishing logs will be as archaic as 8-track players.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    Scouting, you will learn more the more times you are out. Basically, you look for the differences in structure each time you are out scouting, and figure out how that plays into fish hanging out to ambush prey.
    Agreed. Structure is always changing. Storms and the winter have a lot to do with it. Certain cuts and holes change and become different. Even fishing something as big as the canal. If you learn where something is submerged by losing a bucktail, you can also find a iolding spot for stripers in the current.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast