Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Saga of JBarbosa.........Truth or Fiction?

Default The Saga of JBarbosa.........Truth or Fiction?

I planned to start this a while ago....but JBarbosa has been so busy fishing he's hard to keep up with....
    There are a lot of rumors and questions going around about him.....

What does he look like?
    What vehicle does he drive?
    Does he really catch all those fish or are they photoshopped?
    How old is he? How could he know so much about fishing? Does he have gills?
    Where does he fish?
    What are his secrets?
    How does he manage to show up, where the biggest fish are?
    Does he have a secret Batman or Finchaser decoder ring?

I won't reveal any of the above info, that's up to him.
    But.......I do have extensive knowledge of his early years.......from his humble upbringings, to his years as a wise-***, joke cracking teen..his fishing exploits, and the desire to ever push fishing boundaries and give it his best....every time.......

Unfortunately, this will be a work in progress. I'll come back when I have more time, and fill it in little by little.

** If any of the rest of ya's want to help me fill it in, in the meantime, with a little ball busting (good natured, please) ....feel free.......thanks.

"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau.

**NOTE- some of these posts may be embellished...and stray slightly from the truth.......we're all doing this because he's ok with it......if ya can understand from that perspective, and be respectful...it's fine...if not please move on......

The Early Years......

This saga starts with his birth....but those details are unclear......
    It is well-known that he comes from a nice, middle class, hardworking family.
    For clarification, these are the 2nd set of parents he has had, his adoptive parents.
    I met them, and was the beneficiary of the hottest peppers in the world, from their garden.

"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau.

Ages 0-5.......
    Little is known about his early years....from birth, to age 5...

What many don't know, is that he was somehow put into the wilds of Brazil, by parents who could not take care of him.
    Abandoned as a baby, he was adopted by a group of natives from the Amazon..... who schooled him on the ways of the wild and living off the land....

Young JB caught on quick....they even taught them some of their secret chants..........

OMG love it! lolol post more!

Funny stuff. What's the over-under on DS finishing the story within three months?
    I got $50 that says it's at least three

Something to think about is they have drones that go everywhere now. The better fisherman you are, the more likely you are to end up on the radar map.

Cool song

Abandoned in the Amazon? what's next, does he wrestle live alligators like Crocodile Dundee?

So do we give this guy a nickname, or is it just going to be JB?

Can't use Jb its too similar to Johnny bucktails.
    how about tuna John, or Barbossa the Slayer.

Good effort so far people.
    here's a little refresher on how to post videos easily on this site.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ng-links/page2
    (posts 29 through 30)

I can continue a little of this story today, hope you all enjoy.

JBarbosa: The Early years
    It has already been mentioned that he spent a good portion of this early life with these Amazon natives. I'll try to talk a little bit about them and, and what they taught him. It's part of the reason that he's become such a good fisherman today.

First of all, we can talk about his very humble beginnings. These natives lived either in Grass Huts, or huts that were raised from the forest floor. They were in tune with nature..... and had to be very adept an understanding what sounds at night were harmless, and what sounds could kill them.

These are similar to the early type of grass huts that he grew up in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yagua-village-amazon-tour.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	20799

Name:	native+Amazonain.jpg 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	20800

Connection with nature, and heightened perceptions:
    The people he lived with... although they lived a very simple lifestyle, were sharp and intelligent. They knew implicitly how to hunt every animal in the forest. They knew how to catch all types of fish... and where the most likely locations would be.

How did they know this?
    Generations living in the forest, and depending upon these animals and fish for food to feed their tribes.
    These are some early pics them fishing from some of their canoes, made of hollowed out trees and Amazon tree sap... to keep the insides dry.

There are very few pictures available of young John, because they did not have cameras. It was only when the missionaries came in to try to convert them, that these pictures were taken. The black and white pic shows a young JB out there in a canoe... while one of his fishing mentors is using a net. the other one is a picture of some of the people of his village.

Name:	1200px-Fishing_with_cast-net_from_a_boat_near_Kozhikode_Beach.jpg 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	20801
    Young JB paddling in a canoe

Name:	4ff810988e5d061ba142d8aebcb5b1ef.jpg 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	20802

How did they fish?

These fishermen were smart. Their methods were simple, but their knowledge was vast. They knew exactly how and where to find the fish based upon decades of fishing for them and feeding their families.

Some of the methods they used... fishing with bow and arrow, net fishing, hand fishing, and hand line fishing.
    We'll talk about the bow and arrow and net fishing first.
    An illustrative pic...

Name:	2013-bmd-fishing.jpg 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	20803

Another pic...

Name:	hqdefault.jpg 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	20804

You can imagine, they needed very good eyesight to figure out where the fish were in the dirty water.
    We have a thread here called Dirty Water Anglers,
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...PORTS-and-pics
    ....but I think it's fair to say that JB was one of the very earliest of the dirty water fishermen.

As shown previously they also fished with nets and spears. These were a very versatile group of fishermen. That was part of the problem, because they were so good.... that words of their exploits and adventures traveled far beyond the Amazon....

Name:	bmd-xingu-fisherman.jpg 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	20805

This was the beginning of the end for young John's early years in the Amazon. It exposed him to civilization ......and the good and bad we find in people.

Coming up next.... JB learning about hand fishing, handline fishing...the charms of women fishing, the ups and downs of puppy love, and his eventual exit from the Amazon.... when he was adopted and brought to northern New Jersey... where he spent some great years with his new family, all of whom are avid fishermen.

that's all I have time for today...
    Stay tuned....

Obviously this can't be true LOL. I love the story line anyway, good job keep them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by baitstealer View Post
    Obviously this can't be true LOL. I love the story line anyway, good job keep them coming.
    The waters of the Raritan Bay are a piece of cake after dealing with the dirty water in the Amazon.

I got $20 says dark can't finish this post in under 5 more posts or the next two weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast