Thread: Jon shein passed?

Default Jon shein passed?

Read it on FB. Could it be true? if so that's very sad news. Didn't even realize he was that old. Does anyone know?

Don't know maybe it's a different guy. Jon the kayaker just wrote an article for On the water Magazine on September 13th
    http://www.onthewater.com/montauk-by-kayak/

Yes it is true. From what I was told he died in his sleep peacefully on weds night. He was a good guy, met him several times. Prayers sent to his family.

Was thinking of buying a kayak at one time and went to his shop a few times when he was there. Very helpful guy, had some great fishing and kayaking stories. thoughts and prayers for his family.

Did not know him. He wrote a lot of articles and a book. I think his loss will be a great one. Prayers sent

Saw him a few times when he came up for the tourneys. One of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet. Willing to share and full of great stories. The kayak fishing growth we have seen today is thanks to Jon. We lost a good one. RIP

Rip

Met him years ago, really Sad

RIP

Sorry I haven't had a chance to say anything about this till now.
    I knew him, not well, but in passing..... and had run into him and fished the same waters with him a few times.

He was in a class by himself.
    Also, full of class and respect, a real helpful and unselfish angler, something that I am seeing less and less these days.

It has been mentioned..... he liked to talk a lot.
    That didn't seem to bother me, maybe because I'm similar that way as well, except when I'm actively fishin, and then the "Crabby Rich" persona suits me just fine.

What I would like to say, about my interactions and knowledge of him...is that Jon was a giver. He ran the store, wrote a book, countless articles on kayak fishing, and he would still make time to talk to the new guys. He was a champion of kayak fishing, never tiring of promoting and helping.

Obviously, he had some health issues that we weren't aware of. He died way too young. He was full of life and enthusiasm.

One thing that saddens me greatly....is that when someone like Jon, or any of the old guard in the fishing world dies, we talk about them, a few condolences here and there.....and then as time fades...they are forgotten......

As I can find the time this year....I will try to work on something that may help to change that perspective.....

"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau.

For now....I hope people don't take this the wrong way when I say,
    that.....although Jon was not the only one...there are other known, and unknown, ambassadors of our love for fishing.....
    Jon was one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet......and one of the most unselfish and giving....without expecting anything in return.....

Every time a new guy gets in a kayak, reads something Jon wrote, learns from it, or has a safer kayak trip because of it.....then Jon's legacy will live on....

Jon, I miss ya....and will always remember that you took to time out, to help someone else..
    May you Rest In Peace, and your family and friends take comfort that you made a difference in this cold world we live in....and try to share good stories about him...whenever we get a chance...

God Bless and Keep you in his care...
    Amen.

"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau.