Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports April 2017

Default NJ Fishing Reports April 2017

NJ Fishing reports for April 2017 -

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forum.php

Short and sweet......

1. Post your fishing reports here.....
    2. Be as specific as ya want....but remember the *limited access....If you don't enjoy fishing next to 40 new friends at night in a 200 foot section of beach,"think" before ya post.....

3. Location
    Out front....
    out back.....
    or the County...

further details on the first page of any past S&A monthly fishing reports.

4. Moderation...
    I rarely have time to moderate these threads.
    If something needs to be addressed, and you are a contributing member.....please PM me or send an e-mail via the report post button.

**Thanks for your cooperation and for being such a great group!

"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau.

Early Spring Recap......

Bunker are still on the radar this year, more than ever.
    These bunker are both a blessing and a curse. They seem to concentrate all the fish in one area, around them.

There are a few encouraging signs out there:
    1. The forage varieties still remain varied and abundant, but not in all areas.
    2. lots of little striped bass from the robust 2011 and 2015 YOY classes.

#2 above has become a prominent feature many have been noticing last year and this past Winter. Small 2nd through 5th year class striped bass seem to be everywhere.
    Although I try to keep up with the Coastwide striped bass populations, thanks to a few hundred contacts I've met over the years, I need to add to it, that this is the first time I have felt some positive signs in a while.....
    The robustness of these small fry year classes does look well for the future of the fishery....
    a. given the fact they need a couple years to reach maturity,
    b. and folks don't lose sight that there are serious gaps in many of the breeder class years...

I go into more detail in the yearly StripersAndAnglers Coastwide stock assessment
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...of-the-fishery

Positive nonetheless...and something to be happy about....

In the meantime, if you're out there on the water on a boat, or just fishing some isolated area at night from land...in bad weather... please be careful and safe. God Bless all.

"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau.

Anyone getting flounder yet?

^^^^^ Heard of a few caught down by the marina at keyport. When I stopped by there tonight no one was catching, though I did see some bunker.

Finally got out fishing the RB. All the reports were encouraging. The rain had me thinking it might be a waste of time. Went anyway. Fished clams on my pole in RB from 5-9. Got one short striper right around sundown. At least I avoided the skunk, quickly released. Thanks for all the info.

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    A buddy of mine has been getting a few at the northern end of barnegat bay.

Friend had 22 yesterday where he ^^^ all off land

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Picked up some stripes last night, OC in the back. For some reason it felt like they were off, was better last week. they are still there if you want to work for them.

Fish the back in rb from 7 to 9. It was the incoming tide and nothing happened for a long time. Then around 8:45 I got a striper on blood worm. It was 27 inches, first striper of the season, chunky little guy. Released to fight another day. Saw a few others caught but not many. Nice to get out there.

Nice. Was worried about the rain and didn't go. Hanging in there does pay off.

Lol fish are already wet. Nice going man.

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post

This time of year shark river used to be the ticket. I have gone out and did well in march. That was using a lot of chum. Used to be a lot of flounder there. Haven't seen much reported lately. Wonder what happened to them all.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    Lol fish are already wet. Nice going man.
    Hah good one!

Fished the bay for three hours, one little striped pajama man on a rattle trap. The conditions seemed perfect. I was hoping for better but hey I'll take it.

Good going. I have fished the ocean a few times this week. Nothing consistent for me.

Way to put your time in.

Nice effort.. Moco in the back on the outgoing tide yesterday and got the skunk.

Out ahead of the rain yesterday evening. a slow pick, the 3 of us did okay. A few shorts, and one keep each.
    Quit at 1:30 a.m. clams did it for us. Bunker were in and out all night as well.

Gnarly conditions today. Took a walk and made a few casts anyway, nothing.

Gave it a go in the big D 2 hours after work. The water was high and dirty because of the rain. Got two Perch that was it. Will probably try again this weekend. The fish are there guys you just have to be there when they are biting.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast