Thread: 2017 Long Island Fishing Reports Thread

Hybrid View

Nice. I fished further west Sunday afternoon,hour around high tide. Picked up a few tailor blues and one short fluke on tins. Saw a lot of small whitebait and things like that in the surf line. Gonna happen any day now.

This past Sunday, way out east, north side, early AM.
    One bass and 1 blue, both around 24 inches. Picked up the bass around 3:00 and dropped another just after that, needle.
    Then false dawn a blue on an MH4 Mini-Popper (small bait in the one spot).
    Combination of fog, almost no moon, clouds, make the dark crazy dark.
    Always great being out there, fun time, covered a mile.

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Out East, hit a sand beach. Fished 1:30-8:30 this AM.
    Crazy nice out. Nice looking surf, stained water. Only could manage one short bass on a SS bottle around 3:30. Missed another hit on a darter.
    Great being out there and getting a lot of exercise.

Now I don't feel so bad. I figured it was time to put some effort in out East. Went fri night, and again last night. Fished right around high tide, into the outgoing. I was so sure I would catch. Always slay them in sept, or at least I used to. Lots of bait in the water. the boat guys have been getting some 30 pounders, but nothing where I was. Total for the 2 nights was 3 small blues. Other guys were out there at night and hitting it hard, said the same thing. A whole lot of nada.

Hit the CSS early AM to around 10:00.
    Getting myself in shape for the Fall Run......
    Missed a couple hits in the dark and picked up a short bass out front around 9:30.
    Always great being on the water, saw some small bait in a couple areas and possibly some mullet where I caught the shorty.

I know boat reports don't count but we did ok from a my bud's boat Saturday. Fished the outgoing tide off the Rockaways. A little sporty out there, stayed close to shore, maybe 1000 feet off. Got into a lot of stripers sized from 20-31 inches. We jigged with bucktails and shads, did about the same on each. For the jersey guys, it may be close to the end but it's not over yet.

Nice going