Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Long Island Fishing Reports Thread

Nice pic.

I know boat reports dont count but we gave it a try. Hit jbay early this morning. Out before sun up. Saw small bluefish breaking on little baitfish right at sunrise. Picked up a half dozen with 1 oz diamond jigs. Then we tried fluking. Strong tide. We did get a few with chartreuse gulp and teaser. All small. Decent action for a few hours. Tight lines all.

Late report, fished Thursday, Friday and Sunday early ams. 1 to 7 mostly. CSS and really had almost no action. First trip was jones and I was bitten by more bugs in that one trip than the last three years combined times two.
    Heading out east for the Sunday am trips for the foreseeable future.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Same experience for me. Catches have slowed up, the bugs have been terrrible. Best winds for me have been south and east. At least they are more bearable then. Have moved my trips to the east as well. Last night managed a few large bluefish and 2 almost legal stripers. 2-5am outgoing tide on large swimmers.

Headed out east Sunday am.
    3 blues 2-5 lbs and a 20 inch bass.
    Lost a bigger fish on a 14" white hogy, plus dropped a few blues in close.
    Nice to have some a action again, .
    When I got there with fog and clouds it was crazy dark, truly casting into the abyss for a while.

Hey that's my rock! Well I've been out twice in the last 10 days, seems like things are really slowing down. Have to go to the Far East, or to the canal for bigger fish I guess.

Out East again this morning, fished ocean side. One 25 inch bass around 2:45. Then lost another nice fish around 8:00 AM on SS popper. That was it, lots of solitude, water was cool, fun trip, most physical trip of the year so far. I have lost my 3 largest fish of the year the last 4 weeks, crazy. This one I had on for what felt like 2 minutes+. got into some rocks and got off. No bent hooks and no scratches on the popper. Using a different rod next few trips, one with more backbone. I'm getting schooled by these fish.

Very nice

Nice going. The One That Got Away LOL very frustrating. I have a lot of stories like that. Maybe sharper hooks?

Quote Originally Posted by williehookem View Post
    Nice going. The One That Got Away LOL very frustrating. I have a lot of stories like that. Maybe sharper hooks?
    Sharpened them all before last trip, These three fish I had on for a while, enjoyed the fights. The one with the bent hooks, maybe they were not sharp. The one on the Hogy.....maybe not sharp.
    Working on it, rod is very light, flexible.. Using different rod for a while and will slam and set heavy.. Like Rip Plugger says.

Sometimes I have gotten hit when I was tired and paying less attention than I should have. That's when I used to fish at night and was much younger though. We've all been there. Better luck next time.

This past Sunday AM trip fished 2:15-8:15 AM.
    Only managed a couple short bass, but was a great night to be out. Nice weather, great to be on the water.
    Still learning the ropes of getting on and fishing from the rocks. Had the place to myself, then around 5:30 a couple guys went out on the rocks a few hundred yards from me, saw one guy get knocked off a few times,they moved on after 20 minutes.

Nice going. Most of my SS spots have a lot of bait but not much in the way of stripers. May be taking a trip to Cape cod soon. Trying to find the right day.

Well on this morning's trip out east I had to tunnel MacGyver.
    Nice night, water cool, drizzle. Dropped a fish just before 5:00, then caught a Fluke on a bomber.
    Lost a fish on SS Popper, then rod broke during a cast.
    Used the tape I carry in case I need to rewrap my casting finger to attach reel to what was left of the rod.
    Caught 4 small blues on metal and had a couple blow-ups that didn't connect on top water plugs using the modified rod/reel.
    Fun trip, covered a lot of water (was a mile+ away from vehicle when rod broke).

Quote Originally Posted by nitestrikes View Post
    Same experience for me. Catches have slowed up, the bugs have been terrrible. Best winds for me have been south and east. At least they are more bearable then. Have moved my trips to the east as well. Last night managed a few large bluefish and 2 almost legal stripers. 2-5am outgoing tide on large swimmers.
    NS,,what kinda of swimmer did you use?,,any pix of them?
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,

^^^^Not much into big names. Whatever I have handy at the moment. Had a few decent outings this Spring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC5181.jpg  

Headed out East this AM, new water for me, sand beach for a change. Covered a mile plus of beach and had one bump, likely a fluke. Saw no bait and no one else was wetting a line.
    Liked the water and will be back. Very nice night, cool for mid-summer. Was expecting a bigger surf.

Always enjoy the pics, thanks for sharing.

Fished out east last night. Not exactly mecca, but close. Was fishing near an inlet. Right around 10 got a solid hit on a bucktail. Dropped it! fished for 15 more mins, and got hit again. This time I got it in, was a blue about 12 lbs and 35 inches. Released to fight another day. This has been a slow summer for me so far. Waiting for the exotic fish to show up.

Hey at least you tried. Triggers are already here, a little S of Montauk near the inlets. I fished near one last night, but the weed was a problem for me. May try near the beginning of the week after the moon if I can get out there.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast