Thread: RIP Rich Rusznak..... another Surf Fishing Legend gone...

Default RIP Rich Rusznak..... another Surf Fishing Legend gone...

I got some bad news. Richie A Rusznak of Mountainside died Oct 29. He had been struggling with bad health, but he was only 61! He was one of **(THE) surf fishing legends of the Sandy Hook area. He was an early Surf Fishing mentor to me, took me under his wing.. and I am so saddened to hear he passed. I just talked to him a few weeks ago. Life is so short.
    Wake and prayers (were) Thu Nov2 @ McCracken Funeral Home Union.. at 4 and 6pm.

http://mobileobits.nj.com/obituaries...&preview=false

**Please pass this along to whoever you feel might have an interest. Thank you.

"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau.

**There was no funeral.... only the wake and prayer service. Because of his recent illness, he was cremated...Those were the wishes of the family.

I write this with a heavy heart. Richie was a good friend, one of my very early Surf fishing mentors. We had a lot in common, far beyond our addictions to fishing ... and not being able to leave a good bite. He was like an older brother to me. I had plenty of arguments and differences of opinions with him , but I loved him none the less .

He was one of the very few people that I actually spent time fishing with, rather than by myself.

He was a gentle giant of a man ....standing 6'4".. and would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it....Rich will be sorely missed by those who remember Sandy Hook, back in the old days, and many others..

RIP my brother, I will catch you on the other side.

"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau.

Did not know him bc I hardly ever fish the Hook. Remember hearing you talk about him tho. Same thing with Swisstack and the crew, they are all legends who made their bones without the help of the internet. Sorry for your loss Rich, may he RIP.

So sorry for the loss, t&p sent.

I fish the hook a lot. Have only been going there for the last 9 years so I don't think I knew him.Thoughts and prayers, condolences for the family.

Was a long time ago when I went up there on the regular. It changed so much I gave up. I clicked on the obit, I did know him from about 15 years back. Nice guy. helpful. So sorry to hear the news. RIP Rich.

Rip

Sorry about your friend. May he RIP

RIP Rich may the wind always be at your back

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

^^ Good phrase and blessing, sounds a little like the fishermans prayer. Sorry for your loss ds, may he RIP.

T&p for the family.

Sorry to hear the news. I have seen him out there a few times, though quite some time ago. Capt Al Ristori posted this on nj.com Ristori report. Didn't realize he knew Joe Blaze. RIP

"One of the Shore's surfcasting legends has passed away. Rich Rusznak of Mountainside, who had suffered poor health for years, moved on to a calmer surf on Oct. 29 at just 61. A mentor to many younger surfcasters, Rusznak knew every inch of northern N.J. surf and river shorelines. Many photos of him can be found in my book, The Complete Book of Surf Fishing.While surfcasting, he became friends with fly rod expert Joe Blaze of Brielle -- who often invited him to join in school tuna trolling charters on my Sheri Berri II. I remember Rich boating a big dolphin in the Mud Hole in ever larger seas on a day before a hurricane.
    Born and raised in Union, he worked for the Union Shade Trees Department -- but his retirement was spoiled by problems with leg clots that prevented him from pursuing his love of shore fishing. Indeed, the last time we got together for lunch, he could hardly walk from his car to the restaurant. Hopefully he's running along celestial beaches now."