Thread: NJ fishing reports june 2017 www.stripersandanglers.com

Threaded View

Went out yesterday morning looking to repeat some of Saturdays magic. Overall a slow day and we had to work hard for every bite. We ended up the day with a 26#, 31#, and 35#.

We had an absolutely savage hit on a green & white Spoon Fed bunker spoon that peeled drag for a good minute or two before coming loose. We reeled in the line to find a mangled split ring and slightly deformed hook.

The first thing I did was check the drag setting and it was perfect...and before somebody comments that it was bottom...we were fishing this spoon 25ft under the surface in 65ft of water so definitely not the bottom!

I am at a loss for words on how this happened. The Spoon Fed spoons definitely use quality hardware (I use the exact same split rings in smaller sizes on all my lures and never had an issue).

I am guessing this was a thresher (hook never penetrated through the tough skin?) or a big bass that got hooked in a strange manner and somehow managed to apply leverage to the hook.

The highlight of the day was a 35# and 26# double header on the same rod (tandem mojos).

The third fish (31#) hit the all white spoon which has been red-hot for us this year.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg  

3.jpg   4.jpg  

5.jpg