Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NJ fishing reports june 2017 www.stripersandanglers.com

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Went out yesterday morning looking to repeat some of Saturdays magic. Overall a slow day and we had to work hard for every bite. We ended up the day with a 26#, 31#, and 35#.

We had an absolutely savage hit on a green & white Spoon Fed bunker spoon that peeled drag for a good minute or two before coming loose. We reeled in the line to find a mangled split ring and slightly deformed hook.

The first thing I did was check the drag setting and it was perfect...and before somebody comments that it was bottom...we were fishing this spoon 25ft under the surface in 65ft of water so definitely not the bottom!

I am at a loss for words on how this happened. The Spoon Fed spoons definitely use quality hardware (I use the exact same split rings in smaller sizes on all my lures and never had an issue).

I am guessing this was a thresher (hook never penetrated through the tough skin?) or a big bass that got hooked in a strange manner and somehow managed to apply leverage to the hook.

The highlight of the day was a 35# and 26# double header on the same rod (tandem mojos).
    Nice going you sure do find some nice stripers. I was thinking the same thing the one that got away was maybe a shark. Do only threshers hit those spoons or do you think it could have been another type?

Fished 3-5pm mon afternoon near an inlet in oc. The bluefish action was pretty good on bucktails. When it died down I went further north and stopped at a bunch of jetties fishing the left side of each (what was left of them). Couldn't hook up with any fish to save my life despite the perfect white water. Finally packed it in at 9. Oh well.

Nice going. You could of had a monster shark.

This morning 1/2 dozen 3 to 4 # blues finally spitting up bait

This afternoon on the incoming a 15# bass and a bunch of 10 to 12# blues all inside

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    This morning 1/2 dozen 3 to 4 # blues finally spitting up bait

This afternoon on the incoming a 15# bass and a bunch of 10 to 12# blues all inside

Nice report Fin, a good day fishing!!
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Awesome catches guys it's nice to see the action might be getting a little better.

For myself, not so much. Went out last night and no Moco and skunked out. That's too bad because they talk about bass water and I was standing right in front of it, but no fish for me.

7 blues to 12 pounds this morning on jig head and kettle creek tails

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Went out yesterday evening for an after-work trip. Left the dock at 6 pm and ran out front trying to catch the magic hour bite. Took a few minutes to find them and we didn't have much sunlight left but it was good fishing for an hour or so with bass to 38# until it got dark.

The main goal of the trip was to try and get a good overnight chunk bite going which hasn't been reliable so far this spring.

We setup and had to deal with small dogfish for about an hour and then finally started getting the bass bites. We put three more bass in the boat to 32# and missed two solid other hits within an hour window and then called it a night as it was getting late.

We harvested one bass to split between crew that was around 16-18#, the stomach contents are very intriguing. It had our bunker head, a chum chunk, bits of digested lobster, and what appears to be a bunch of conch without the shell.

Also, check out the bass with the busted lip. Looks like he has been caught twice before. Proof C&R works!

Another boat ended up beaching itself on the tip of Sandy Hook again last night. A 22' Grady White out of Staten Island - his conversation with the CG and the tow boat kept us entertained (he wasn't was hurt).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg  

3.jpg   4.jpg  

5.jpg  

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6.jpg   7.jpg  

8.jpg   9.jpg  

92.jpg  

Fished CM yesterday and a few times before. Seems like things are slowing down. Only managed a few small blues and skates and dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Went out yesterday evening for an after-work trip. Left the dock at 6 pm and ran out front trying to catch the magic hour bite. Took a few minutes to find them and we didn't have much sunlight left but it was good fishing for an hour or so with bass to 38# until it got dark.

The main goal of the trip was to try and get a good overnight chunk bite going which hasn't been reliable so far this spring.

Awesome catches thanks for sharing. I fish bunker a lot and wanted to pick your brains. Why do you think the chunk bite hasn't been that good this Spring? Thanks

Good job. I was out in somoco great conditions from 5 to 6 today top of the tide and got zilch.

Dude you must have the road map for all the big stripers. If there was a tournament you should enter you would crush the competition. Dont even think that johnny bucktails caught that many before he faded into the sunset. congrats on the fish and the releases.

Fishing report I walked onto 2 moco beaches tonight from 6-9. Walked up and down and casted the whole bag. Managed 3 blues it was not that great. Heard of sandeels at island beach might try down closer to there next time.

Hey at least you guys hooked up. I fished around those hours and caught one measly sea robin. Water looked perfect like you guys said just not a lot of fish in the wash.

Nice going gentlemen. Have been out of action for awhile, grandchildren duty. Will start fishing again this weekend.

Yesterday we fished the SI Tuna Club's Armed Forces Invitational Striped Bass tournament.

We picked up the two Veterans assigned to our boat, Warren and Richard, from Great Kills and were released to go fishing around 8:15am.

We ran out front to where we have been catching consistently only to find that most of the bait has been pushed outside the 3 mile line where we can't legally fish and sucked the bass out with them (wind &/or full moon?)

We trolled the ocean side from Sandy Hook all the way to Deal without a tap and very few signs of life.

Around 2pm I made the choice to give up on trying to catch a big ocean bass and headed to one of our reliable back bay spots just to get these vets some bass and shake the skunk.

We had action right away but they were mostly smaller fish that kept hitting mojos but couldn't take them down.

The guys managed to pull two keeper bass out of the shorts which will give them some nice dinners.

Overall very tough fishing on this tournament day....39 boats and only 4 weigh-ins total.

Thank you to all the veterans out there who fought to keep us safe and to the SI tuna club for putting on a great event as usual.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6-9-2017.jpg  

Nice job on the catching and the thing with the veterans. I hope that brings you some good mojo for the year, not that you need it LOL

I fished nomoco last night on the incoming tide 7 to 9 p.m. Not much luck for me, some small fluke and blues. Seems like they were feeding on small bait in the surf maybe mole crabs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast