Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great White shark Mary Lee

Default Great White shark Mary Lee

Has anyone checked out this site yet? It's an awesome way to track tagged great white and other sharks.
    There is one called Mary Lee right now off of Montauk

http://sharks-ocearch.verite.com/

Default Re: Great White shark Mary Lee

By the way she is 16 foot long and 3456 lbs.
    I wonder if the skishers who go out in the surf ever think about that. A 200lb skisher would just be a weekly snack for a shark that size.

I have been following that. fascinating. thank you for posting buckethead

Thanks for posting very interesting

The morons on another sight are afraid it will eat there preious bunker and herring. After all how can we catch bass without snag and drop

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Get with the program finchaser.
    It's also the fault of the whales, dolphin, and seals. Eating all the bunker and bass. Never the fault of the fishermen. I have been following this too. There is a smaller one off the coast of south carolina. I believe she is 13 feet.

Marie Lee is now off the Coast of Mass. Looks like she is near a shelf of deeper water or something if you look at the map. Genie, the smaller one at 14'8" is between Savannah Georgia and South Carolina. Must be good eats in both those places. Very cool to follow. Thanks for posting buckethead.

omg the big one has been where me and the family go swimming!

brrrrrrrr i just got a serious shiver

Thanks for posting very interesting.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

She is really far off the coast of Georgia now. I have no clue how far but it looks like at least 200 miles. To think she was up off the coast of Massachusetts at the beginning of the month and now she is way offshore a few hundred miles south and east. Man those sharks can swim!

Lostatsea you are right it is far, about 600 miles right near bermuda

holy crap that one swam right down the east river!

Check this video out. Mary Lee was 200 yards off Jacksonvile Florida.

^^^^ You have to be teasing on that one right? I checked the path. Back in Sept she came closest to the coast near cape lookout and cape fear. She actually swam in and behind the okracoke inlet for a day. Then back north up to what looks like cape cod. She is an amazing swimmer it looks like between feb 11-12 she swam 50 miles in one day on the way to bermuda.What a fast sleek killing machine. I wonder why she didn't stay up at cape cod they say there are lots of seals up there.

Awesome vpass thanks for posting that!

Quote Originally Posted by surferman View Post
    ^^^^ You have to be teasing on that one right?

dude im sorry but i never heard of no shark in the raritan not a great white maybe a dogfish but dont kno how that cud be

Um, w4 check the link again I think one of those dots was the research vessel. If not the shark would have to be 125ft long.

Quote Originally Posted by wish4fish View Post
    dude im sorry but i never heard of no shark in the raritan not a great white maybe a dogfish but dont kno how that cud be
    maybe not, but how about one 16 miles up Matawan Creek?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_...ttacks_of_1916
    The next two attacks took place in Matawan Creek near the town of Matawan on Wednesday, July 12. Located 30 miles (48 km) north of Spring Lake and 16 miles (26 km) inland, Matawan resembled a Midwestern town rather than an Atlantic beach resort.[4] Matawan's location made it an unlikely site for shark attacks. When Thomas Cottrell, a sea captain and Matawan resident, spotted an 8 ft (2.40m) long shark in the creek, the town dismissed him.[5] Around 2:00 p.m. local boys, including Lester Stillwell, 11, were playing in the creek at an area called the Wyckoff dock when they saw what appeared to be an "old black weather-beaten board or a weathered log." A dorsal fin appeared in the water and the boys realized it was a shark. Before Stillwell could climb from the creek, the shark attacked him and pulled him underwater.[6]

The boys ran to town for help, and several men, including local businessman Watson Stanley Fisher, 24, came to investigate. Fisher and others dived into the creek to find Stillwell's body; Fisher was also attacked by the shark in front of the townspeople. He was pulled from the creek without recovering Stillwell`s body. His right thigh was severely injured and he bled to death at Monmouth Memorial Hospital in Long Branch at 5:30 p.m.[7] Stillwell's body was recovered 150 feet (46 m) upstream from the Wyckoff dock on July 14.[8]...

On July 14, Harlem taxidermist and Barnum and Bailey lion tamer Michael Schleisser caught a 7.5 foot (2.3 m), 325 pound (147 kg) shark while fishing in Raritan Bay only a few miles from the mouth of Matawan Creek. The shark nearly sank the boat before Schleisser killed it with a broken oar. When he opened the shark's belly, he removed a "suspicious fleshy material and bones" that took up "about two-thirds of a milk crate" and "together weighed fifteen pounds."[32] Scientists identified the shark as a young great white and the ingested remains as human.[33]

No further attacks were reported along the Jersey Shore in the summer of 1916 after the capture of Schleisser's shark. Murphy and Lucas declared the great white to be the "Jersey man-eater".[35]
    Quote Originally Posted by ledhead36 View Post
    ... I think one of those dots was the research vessel. If not the shark would have to be 125ft long.
    oops. never mind. :blush:

Quote Originally Posted by jonthepain View Post
    maybe not, but how about one 16 miles up Matawan Creek?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_...ttacks_of_1916
    oops. never mind. :blush:

I don't know a lot about jersey so I found that story fascinating. Who would think that they would come that far in land. Thanks for posting that.

The latest one they tagged. She's a big 'un. Not as big as Mary Lee. However at 2000 lbs I don't want to meet her up close.

http://www.grindtv.com/surf/blog/512...ida+surf+spot/Scientists tag 2,000-pound great white shark near Florida surf spot

By: Pete Thomas, GrindTV.com

Florida surfers who ride waves at Mayport Poles might find this news a little unsettling, but scientists sure were delighted to have tagged and released a large great white shark Sunday afternoon immediately beyond the popular surf spot, in only 25 feet of water.

It's the first time a great white has been tagged in the Jacksonville area, Chris Fisher, founder of Ocearch, told the Florida Times-Union. Mayport Poles is named after the nearby Mayport Naval Station.

The shark measured 14 feet, 6 inches, and weighed 2,000 pounds. It was given the name Lydia and, after its tag was fitted and tissue samples and a blood work were taken, the shark was lowered from the research vessel's tagging cradle and turned loose.

Ocearch stated on its Facebok page: "After days of relentless determination, the OCEARCH team was able to successfully tag and release the first great white shark off the coast of Jacksonville, Florida. Meet Lydia, weighing in at approx. 2,000 lbs at 14 ft, 6 in!"

The same researchers tagged a much larger great white, weighing nearly 3,500 pounds, last September off Cape Cod. That shark, named Mary Lee, appeared close to the Jacksonville coast last January and is presently much farther offshore, southwest of Bermuda.

It's hoped that the long-term tracking study will enable scientists to learn more about the movements of white sharks off the East Coast.

Of Lydia's close proximity to shore Sunday, Greg Skomal of the Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries told the Times-Union: "These sharks have probably been doing this for eons."

Skomal, who is part of the Ocearch effort, added that despite the great white's fearsome reputation, "the sharks have been pretty much going undetected."

People can check on the movements of sharks tagged by Ocearch via its website, and receive updates via its Facebook page. They can read more about the capture of Lydia via the expedition blog.

--Images showing the shark during Sunday's tagging process are courtesy of Ocearch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast