Thread: NJ fishing reports for August 2017 www.stripersandanglers.com

Hybrid View

Holy Mackerel

The black sea bass infestation continues...easily getting our limit of 8 bigger ones and releasing a ton of smaller keepers.

Fluking was ok with lots of shorts but only 3 keepers.

Spent a bunch of time on anchor playing catch and release with blackfish. Nothing over 4# on this drop but plenty of action w/light tackle and jigs.

Bonus triggerfish who self-identified as a blackfish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170806_173408_1.jpg  

better enjoy the sea bass big cuts are coming

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Ugh...I have a feeling we will get screwed on fall sea bass.

A little on the slower side today but still big filet bags and even bigger smiles all around!

Oh boy did the sarcasm ran deep on today's trip - a ton of laughter all around which sometimes reminds you its not always about "catching" and more about just getting out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.jpg   1.jpg  

3.jpg   4.jpg  

5.jpg  

This morning 5 bass to 21"and 2 fluke all on rubber and jig head

On Sunday I took out three first time fishers/boaters.

The weather was so nice I wanted to do a little combo trip in the ocean consisting of blackfish/sea bass/triggerfish and porgies.

Ran out front and the beginning of the long period hurricane swells got them all sick before we even dropped anchor.

Ran back into Raritan Bay settling for porgies.

Drop and reel fishing for 1.5hrs and then the puking started again so I decided to call it a day.

Still managed 80+ fishing on a 10" size limit.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170813_114646.jpg   IMG_20170813_100351 (1).jpg  

Three of us headed out early this morning.

Started of by porgy fishing being selective on what we kept. Fished on a voluntary 11" size w/20 porgy per person. Took longer than expected; there wasn't as many big porgies on this piece as we have been seeing recently.

Buddy had 5 weakfish anchored less than 20ft away.

Nice surprise blackfish on a porgy rig.

Switched over to fluke which was hot from 10:30 - 1pm until the tide changed and it became wind against tide. Called it a day around 2pm after drifting for over an hour without a hit trying to finish off our limit.

Peanut bunker was the hot ticket today - no takers on gulp.

Never left the bay!

Your fish photo's have to be the most organized I have seen posted. Very nice looking and congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Ugh...I have a feeling we will get screwed on fall sea bass.

A little on the slower side today but still big filet bags and even bigger smiles all around!

Oh boy did the sarcasm ran deep on today's trip - a ton of laughter all around which sometimes reminds you its not always about "catching" and more about just getting out there.
    Thanks for sharing. I was wondering in the triggerfish pic, how you scraped all that skin off?

Fished OC last night into sunset. Lots of skeeters and flies caught and feasted on me. Did manage a few short fluke. And one small cocktail blue.

Headed to the mid-shore tuna grounds yesterday about 40-50miles out on a friend's boat. A little bumpy ride out in some solid 4-5' tight swells.

Arrived to find a total False Albacore invasion with a handful of bonito, bluefish, and skipjack mixed in.

Final count was somewhere in the dozens of albies...Funny how they have no problem eating bigger baits with 130-170# leader in 100' of water but inshore everyone claims you need 10# fluro (I don't share the same opinion).

Kept some bonito to eat and a couple of albies to make swordfish baits out of. All fish were absolutely stuffed with small sand eels.

This morning 4 to 6 AM 9 bass all on jig and AA's white peanut size body also a lonely fluke