Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Albie reports

Whats the earliest you got into albies in the year?

I don't have a lot of experience catching them from the surf. I have seen them caught on party boats in sept when they are bluefishing. Think that usually starts around Sept.

Default Albie reports

Last year was my best year, after chasing them the year before and not knowing what the heck I was doing. I'm starting to chomp at the bit, feel albies in my bones.

So far, some friends got into bonito near the Shrewsbury rocks almost 2 weeks ago. Another friend just came back from Mass, and told me they were getting albies from boats near the harbor.

C'mon albies!

Post your reports here, even if you heard from a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy. I don't think it will happen from the surf until the middle of September, but I'm addicted, need my albie fix!!

Trying to get all my work down so the minute I get the word I can run to where they are and get in on the action.

Im hopeful of a repeat performance myself. The bonito came in first last year too. Hung around manasquan inlet for a few days, wouldnt touch a thing the day i was there even though they were breaking water in a giant moving circle. Albies really hung around. I dont wanna any early NE sters that may push them out of the area.

Late report - some guys went out of PP, earlier in the week, I think. Used spoons on the troll, maybe some jigging, forgot all the details. They did get a mess of bonito. Albies can't be too far behind. Nice catch, guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bonito8-27PP.jpg  

Some of the latest reports, second hand, I can't confirm:

All from LIS -
    Port Jeff area, reports of bonito being caught sporadically, no consistent bite yet

Bluff Point, Pine Island, Watch Hill areas, reports by the DEP of albie and bonito sightings

Soon, guys, soon

Latest reports and sightings:

SH - reports from fri of albies feeding beyond the surf line, none caught.

Monmouth - reports of albies being sighted in the ocean, some guys paddleing out to reach them, no hookups.

Offshore - they're catching albies and bonito from 12-40 miles out, as well as some closer spots.

Yesterday, Allen Riley talked about albacore skies.

The table is set, IMO as soon as the small bait becomes a thick and everyday presence in the surf, people will be catching.

You never know where the first confirmed one will be caught, could be anyone of us.

latest report - a guy I know claims a boat got into albie action inshore in the last 48 hours. This is a 3rd hand report, no way to substantiate. It's time for the albies to feed from the surf!

The only thing that may be holding them back is the bait is not swarming in all spots just yet. That could take another week, but I'm guessing one will be caught in the next 7 days from shore.

Mebbe I'll be right, mebbe not.

Well, gotta admit I was wrong on this one, guys. I do hope they come to visit the surf, there are more reports of boat guys catchin em.

This morning at the Hook was perfect conditions, lots of bait, stinging NW winds, just like it was last year when they came in. Couple guys tried for them, but even the master "Albacore Al" couldn't hook one.

So if they are actually feeding in the surf yet is anyone's guess. But if anyone can nail them first, Allen Riley will.

Here's a quote from him:

"The clock is ticking on the albacore run. Each day that passes without them in the mix is another day crossed off within a narrow window of opportunity even during years with strong runs. Time will tell."

So far:

Sun - a capn saw them while out at the BA buoy off Sandy Hook.

Yesterday - some alleged reports of surfers seeing them porpoising and finning near bait.

Reports of albies at the Barnegat ridge

Today - a report of the first NY surf one in the Westhampton jetty area, guy got one on a fin-s teaser whille plugging for bass, great catch!

Allen Reilly reported huge amounts of bait in the surf today, big blues, no NJ surf albies yet, though they were tryin.

Cmon guys, one of us has to nail one soon. Can't win it if you're not in it.

First ones caught in NJ yesterday. Guy caught 4 when big blues came in slashing bait. But not out front.

Lucky SOB!

I fished out front usual spot today, bait streaming by, no albies or bluefish till the very end. 2 bluefish caught after I left, no one got any albie action.

Meanwhile some friends were fishing the inside spot from yesterday where the guy got his 4. They fished hard. Despite all the bait, no sign of albies.

These are not easy fish to catch, that's why it doesn't pay to chase reports or locations. You would never expect them to be caught on the inside, but there were.

Tomorrow they may be outside a harbor, or somewhere else. The only ones who will know exactly are the guys catchin them.

My shoulder is sore from all the tins and presentations I threw today, fished hard for 3 hours, 3-6pm. Last night tied up a bunch of DD, crippled herring, etc, flouro rigs, no hardware.

I'm ready, but there ain't no guarantees. Frustrating species to fish for, payoff is worth it.

My friend and I were talking about targeting them today, and we agreed that when you fight these fish, they give their all, and are half-dead when you bring them in. You have at most 60 seconds before they are completely dead, and a wasted fish.

If yer gonna take a shot with your camera, please have the camera ready, or wait till the camera is ready when you catch the next fish. If you can, hold them by the tail and bottom as you gently put them back, until they are ready.

Doesn't take much to kill these things on the release, and it's a shame to waste such a worthy opponent. Can't eat em, not worth it. Although last year I did try to eat a fresh killed as sushi. The guys who saw me do it didn't know me, and described some crazy guy who had bloody meat sticking out of his mouth, on another website.:

Didn't say anything about it then b/c I was too embarassed, I guess, but fresh kill ain't bad. After that the quality turns into catfood. Believe me on this.:

Couple were caught today from a boat about 1/4 mile off a big occo inlet. Guy got 'em with DDs.

A few were spotted yesterday off Breezy. Today some boats got into the action and brought some in.

It may seem like hitting one is the same as hitting the lottery, but they are around. The first ones were caught in a pretty unusual place, and there was one year I was on a jetty in the RB and saw a guy across from me pull one in. You never know where they will turn up, it's definitely albie time. Be ready with your rigs, you may only get 5 or 10 mins.

I can confirm my uncle got 2 yesterday on the boat about a 1/2 mile off the beach and get this, they hit strecth 25s.

Default Didn't see albie,met Jack

went out to the hook two weeks ago, no albies but I did get a JacK first time I ever seen one. released it came home and then I had to go on the web to see what the heck I caught. other then that it's been quiet out there.

**** Robin got over 100 bonito, and some albies, about 20m N of PP yesterday. Supposedly close to shore.

Welcome to the site, bayyaker, jacks put up a good fight for their size.

I feel like I let you guys down with the lack of reports, but there just hasn't been anything in the surf. Boats are hitting them as close as 1 mile off the beach, no problem there. One guy on another site claims he saw them yesterday, and hooked into one and lost it.

Maybe so, but so far no has landed any other than the guy at SH 2 weeks ago, who hooked and released 3.

Meanshile, a lot of people are fishin hard for them. Allen Riley and his Team Albacore are fishing almost every weekday for them, nothing. A friend who is albie crazy and I have been hittin it hard, nothing.

In the meantime, I am climbing the walls. If we do have any run, time is running out, and it will be short.

Here's some pics from past runs to keep the interest going.

Last year -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails albiesCockrobin.jpg   albie off Breezy Point 10-09-07 20438.jpg  

albie off Breezy Point 10-09-07 20439.jpg   albie off Breezy Point 10-09-07 20440.jpg  

Keep the faith, guys, one of us has to hit them soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails albie SH surf 10-11-07 IMGP0411.jpg   albieNY133947.jpg  

OK guys, 2 were caught yesterday, probably somewhere nomoco. Here's the pic as proof. Guy got one one a hopkins, he wasn't fishing for them , but saw one jump, and reacted quickly enough.

Another guy got one on a teaser, here's a pic of the one caught on a teaser, nice fish.

There were a lot of spearing nomoco out front moving southward yesterday, so it makes sense that they were there.

Let's catch em up, not many more days left till they're gone. The last day could be tomorrow, you never know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails albie10-4-08.jpg  

Got further intel on that albie above, wasn't caught at SH.

What that means is that everyone who is fishing hard for them has a chance of catching one, about 1000 to 1.

But one was caught Sun eve, the 4th reported catch of the season. Allen Riley and his team albacore have been casting like madmen every day,. so far no appreciable run has developed.

But that doesn't mean you can't catch one, anywhere from SH to Manasquan. Just find some schools of active spearing or bay anchovies, and cast like a mf'er as far as you can, over and over. Cast small, slim profile metal DD, etc, thought they have been caught on Hopkins ans small teasers as part of a teaser rig.

There are probably more catches as time goes by, they just don't get reported. (and contrary to what some people believe, the internet sites are not the be all and end all of fishing. I have met some amazing fishermen the last few months who would never consider posting or going to the internet for reports.)

Imagine that - fishing hard every day, catching nice fish, and never feeling the need to brag about it on the internet.

stay tuned, I'm sure more good news will be forthcoming.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast