Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Beach replenishment - Pics/Videos before and after

Default NJ Beach replenishment - Pics/Videos before and after

Took a ride today after the Berkley show and wanted to see the "damage" first hand.

Before replenishment (2012 after Sandy)this is the jetty at the end of Seaview ave, south end of Seven Presidents (Long Branch)

And then its like magic......its gone, this is the jetty at the end of Seaview ave, south end of Seven Presidents (Long Branch)

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

More....looking down the beach from the end of Seaview ave, south end of Seven Presidents in Long Branch

2012, after Sandy

After replenishment

More pics.....

OMG. Dis-gus-ting!!!!!!

They might as well as pave over the beaches too and make them into parking lots. There is no way the fish are ever going to come in this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    OMG. Dis-gus-ting!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hookedonbass View Post
    They might as well as pave over the beaches too and make them into parking lots. There is no way the fish are ever going to come in this spring.
    There were some rock piles still exposed on other areas (wonder if they will stay like that).

My favorite rock had sand up its wazooo

There were areas I couldn't tell if they were done.
    They had a long dune parallel to the beach and were working just north.
    It looked like they were going to fill in all the rock piles and then spread the clean sand dunes over the gray crud.

To me its unbelievable they did this. Wonder after a few big storms what its going to look like?
    Does anyone know if this was done at this magnitude before?

^^^^^ When they put the Sea bright and monmouth beach wall was the last grand scale changes I can think of. The walls were a good thing. Even though sea bright got devastated by Sandy it would have been a lot worse without the seawall. The problem in Sea Bright is the land is so low lying to begin with it some of that should never had houses on it. Monmouth Beach fared better because it's elevated a little higher. This replenishment they are doing with the jetties is not what is scientifically or structurally best for the land behind it. I feel a seawall should be continued along the shoreline except in places where it doesn't make sense. Unfortunately the homeowners don't want it blocking their view. Although a seawall would cost more the replenishment will cost more in the long run. There are already signs of it failing and the sea taking back the sand as the monmouth beach jetties are already exposed. They only finished the work less than 4 months ago. This is one of the worst examples of government waste I have seen in a long time.

Would probably need alot strong storms to ever get them back but i will say over the summer in Mom Beach they did this and by Dec this year after a few storms there was a 6-7ft drop at the water linetall enuff to eff you up if u walked off it at night..It did start to uncover the rocks in one area but not to the point of bringing that small pile back..Whats gonna happen if that wall of sand and a 6-7ft drop off shows up in the middle of there beach season???...Alot of beach goers are gonna be real pissed if there kids cant make it down to the water due to a dangerous drop plus at high tide the water would hit the wall and literally almost knock your feet out from under you...I had 2 real close calls there this Dec almost getting sucked into the wash....Its a real shame they are doing this...And i dont understand why in areas like Deal and S they need to do this the rock walls in that area are twice as high as Sea bright...And no one is ever in those million dollars homes any way..

Gents we need to take a stand. They are filling in jetty country. Send your e-mails in before it's too late. I just sent mine.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...t-Get-involved!

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    Gents we need to take a stand. They are filling in jetty country. Send your e-mails in before it's too late. I just sent mine.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...t-Get-involved!
    Just sent my e-mails to them.

Looks like there setting up for some condos.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    Looks like there setting up for some condos.
    Come on guy we can do better than that. I realize you were probably being sarcastic but this is terrible. Don't you have jetties you fish in long island? If the storm was so all devastating to both our areas how come they are not covering the jetties in long island and just NJ? I not looking to start a fight but something is really screwed up here and we should at least try to do something. We have until mar 26 can you help us by sending a letter in that other thread. Thanks!
    Monty thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazin420 View Post
    Would probably need alot strong storms to ever get them back but i will say over the summer in Mom Beach they did this and by Dec this year after a few storms there was a 6-7ft drop at the water linetall enuff to eff you up if u walked off it at night..It did start to uncover the rocks in one area but not to the point of bringing that small pile back..Whats gonna happen if that wall of sand and a 6-7ft drop off shows up in the middle of there beach season???...Alot of beach goers are gonna be real pissed if there kids cant make it down to the water due to a dangerous drop plus at high tide the water would hit the wall and literally almost knock your feet out from under you...I had 2 real close calls there this Dec almost getting sucked into the wash....Its a real shame they are doing this...And i dont understand why in areas like Deal and S they need to do this the rock walls in that area are twice as high as Sea bright...And no one is ever in those million dollars homes any way..
    I totally agree. They will change their minds when a couple of children drown or a couple of beach goers get sucked into the sea, when they hit that drop. Lawsuit here we come!

Default Videos and Pics - Beach Replenishment - Before/After.....Does it Work?

I have been reaching out to everyone I know, or ever met, on this issue. Anyone who has ever put their foot on sand and salt water...fishermen, politicians, homeowners, attorneys... and yes...some environmentalists such as the ALS and other groups.

The feedback I have been getting is making me sick to my stomach, and causing me to have trouble sleeping some nights....
    I don't know if we're going to win this fight, folks....but until my last breath on this earth, my dying day...I will fight against bullies such as the ACOE and the politicians who say they are "for" fishermen, and are just patronizing us....because it is not about protecting homes, or protecting the environment, it is about self-preservation, and lining their pockets...

I learned about the dirty nature of politics long ago when I got involved in fishermen issues, all the way back to the subway cars/ reef starters that NJ did not get, that went to Delaware...

1. I blamed the environmentalists
    for this loss, because they raised too many issues that caused us to lose out....

Delaware....long suffering from lack of inshore structure along its coast, now has risen to the top for bottom fishing trips. Some of the biggest blackfish on the Coast come from guys who drive to Delaware to pay to fish on their boats....

I would estimate the financial loss to NJ, of this one decision to let Delaware have those subway cars, in the millions.

2. The other group, that dominates us fishermen every time, is the big political contributors.
    No matter how important we fishermen think our issues are, the concerns of the biggest political contributors take precedent.
    We can be angry at that, or we can learn from that....simple choices.

**Looking back, it really was about the politicians, and votes.....decisions were made because those in charge, were afraid if they didn't, the political interest group with the most power would vote against them in the next election. So it's my contention that we should not hate the environmentalists.....even though they make our lives miserable at times.....
    We should be jealous of their power, ability to organize, and rally support for or against an issue....

Strategic Analysis:
    Rather than hating them, we should be jealous at how organized the above groups are, and how they are able to reach and influence politicians.
    We should learn from some of the strategies they have used.....

1. Lobbying
    2. Letter and e-mail writing
    3. Face to face talks with politicians
    4. Pressuring politicians that if they won't listen to their concerns, they will vote them out....

The biggest problem with #4 above is that fishermen are historically splintered into many factions.
    We talk a big game, but when it comes down to it,. we are impotent....we lack the cohesiveness and drive, to be seen as a threat to a politician's survival.

Most of that I believe is due to Apathy in the current generation....many folks lack the initiative or incentive to care or protest about something unless it directly affects them...they lack the foresight to see how a decision today, in another state or area, could affect them tomorrow....

During the fight for fishing access at Shoreham Beach, Brookhaven, LI, I learned that pictures can make a difference....
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...n-vs-Riverhead
    I saw that this had a positive affect on the outcome.

They say a picture tells a thousand words...
    Some of the most compelling pics, have changed lives, changed elections, and changed policy...

If so, a video tells a million words.....
    They can be very powerful tools.....
    This is what is needed, to galvanize public support....
    If we are to gain headway, it will be on the little points that the ACOE and politicians neglected to explore....
    Nothing is as powerful as a video which clearly shows what someone is saying, to be untrue....

A video shot by Art Nelson with clips from back in the 90's showing the effects of beach replenishment on the southern Monmouth county beaches....some of the clips show restoration from Spring Lake to Manasquan......

During Sandy.....that sand and jetty notching protected none of those houses......because by then most of that sand had been washed away.....
    After you folks watch the video....make your own assessments....ask yourselves, after watching it....if sand replenishment effectively protects the real estate?....or does it just provide jobs and curry political favor?...you decide.....

Also, do we blindly accept the words of the ACOE, who has lied in federal testimony before?

0:00"This film will prove that you can't be in favor of marine life along the Jersey Shore and sand pumping. You just can't have it both ways. "

5:45 "The Army Corps of Engineers has falsely testified that there is no life to speak of around the shallow structures"

Art Nelson's video is but one example...

I am asking all the folks reading this.....
    to thnk if they could help this cause, by

1. Post pics, or

2. Post videos, from the internet, or youtube....

a. Do a Youtube search on beach replenishment. You will find scores of videos....
    b. Easy instructions on how to post videos here..(posts 17 and 18)
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...-Helpful-hints!

Anything connected to beach replenishment, that could help us. and maybe establish a precedent for the long run.
    Thanks.

That art nelson video is so sad. They suck! and to top it off they are liars too. Thanks for posting I will look around and try to find some videos to post too.

I don't see how any sane person could watch that and not get a knot in there stomach.

Sorry to be so negative but pallone and memandez were pushing beach replenishment back in 2011. Do you think there will be alternatives considered at any acoe meeting? not.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast