Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fall Run 2017 thoughts are the fish passing by out of reach?

Worst year in the last 5 for me. I don't know if I would be that quick to be jealous of the boat guys though. Have been on the beach a bunch of times this fall and the fish were just out of reach, boat guys hooking up. Have been on the beach an equal number of times, an armada of boats, and no one was hooking up. Just soaking hundreds of bunker all day with to takers. Too many boats can put those fish down. It also seems apparent to me the numbers are down. Anyone who cant see that is an idiot.

Been su**ing for me so far. I may not get out a lot so I can't be considered a sharpie. I did plan yesterdays trip with anticipation tho. Got out of work early, started in moco at 1pm ended in occo at 4pm. Fished a little bit at each beach and moved on. I saw a total of 5 short stripers caught in random places during the whole time, It looked like some guys on boats were catchin, but not a lot. At the last place in occo figured it was "the spot" because there were literally 450 other guys shoulder to shoulder on the beach. I found a place to edge in, lol. I was so desperate for one striper. Out of that clusterf*ck of surf guys, right before dark one guy got a striper that was about a 40 incher or bigger, snag and drop. I got nothing, and at dark everyone left. Still waiting for the epic fishing I been hearing about.

aah you guys are just jealous of jbarbosa because he catches! I think it's great! Finally caught some stripers yesterday was at a mo co spot and no one was catching. At dusk they started hitting shads. 10 minutes of short striper activity I ended up with 3. some other fellas caught as well. woo hoo should I call it epic? Not! lol!

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    aah you guys are just jealous of jbarbosa because he catches! I think it's great! Finally caught some stripers yesterday was at a mo co spot and no one was catching. At dusk they started hitting shads. 10 minutes of short striper activity I ended up with 3. some other fellas caught as well. woo hoo should I call it epic? Not! lol!
    Really hard to catch fish out of a boat. We had 14 fish to 40# in 2 days live lining all released and had people yell at us for releasing them

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

People yelled at you for releasing? what the heck were you surrounded by the meatmen?

It's all about the meat nowadays. Guess you're not a real man unless you can post meat shots of dead bass on the dock.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Really hard to catch fish out of a boat. We had 14 fish to 40# in 2 days live lining all released and had people yell at us for releasing them
    I agree with you - my post was sarcastic! Boat fishing is way different from going all along the shoreline and either finding fish or getting skunked. I do appreciate jbarbosas reports though. Sometimes you can learn from boat guys where they are catching and it gives you a better idea of where to start. Just saying.

I had a decent spring and summer fishing various places on the NS and SS. The fall for me was a bust. Montauk was very inconsistent. The SS held some nice bass, 25# and up, for about 3 weeks. A friend of mine got one 26# the other night but he is out there every single night. It seems that's the key. If you can't do that it is a coin toss. The sandeels never showed up on the SS so we were depending on squid, herring and adult bunker. Tough season for me for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    I agree with you - my post was sarcastic! Boat fishing is way different from going all along the shoreline and either finding fish or getting skunked. I do appreciate jbarbosas reports though. Sometimes you can learn from boat guys where they are catching and it gives you a better idea of where to start. Just saying.
    I agree with you

I have been hitting a few here and there on bucktail and pork. First light and near sundown. Boats are still hitting them to the east, rockaways and bp. Haven't seen many larger fish in close except for one good night I had at 2am. Have been fishing for 50 years. this fall was my poorest of the last 15 from the surf. That includes the whole south shore and montauk. There was some good activity on the north shore, didn't last that long.

Thanks for the honesty. I don't have enough years in the game to say a lot. Do believe the beach stripers are in short supply. Based on my trips to the beach and some of the fishermen I met. No one bragged to me this was their best fall ever. Lots of grumbling! They really should make the regulations the same for the whole striper coast. my .02

Just checking the reports from Grumpys and B&N and there just not getting any keeper size bass.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

The big fish that were here last week are in Delaware
    The second batch that provided good fishing the day before and day of Thanksgiving are pretty much gone too
    The so called death rats have invaded the Sea bright area
    Water in the PP canal was 44 last night on the incoming
    Many lagoons have skim ice the past few mornings

They're getting them in maryland too. This must be the last of them. Some bigger fish in ocean county close to the 3 mile line as well. last hurrah.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12