Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beach restoration another joke

Default Beach restoration another joke

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Thanks for sharing. Looking at some of those pics reminds me of that old planet of the apes movie when he gets to the salt water and realizes he is not on another planet - they just destroyed the old earth so badly that the damn dirty stinking apes took it over. Feel the same way about ocean county. In all the years I have lived here the beaches have just started to get worse in the last 5 years. I remember a bad storm around 1982 as well but other than that I think the ACOE and the GDamn dredging and the way they replenish is just not working. Anyone else feel the same?

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Looking at some of those pics reminds me of that old planet of the apes movie when he gets to the salt water and realizes he is not on another planet - they just destroyed the old earth so badly that the damn dirty stinking apes took it over. Feel the same way about ocean county. In all the years I have lived here the beaches have just started to get worse in the last 5 years. I remember a bad storm around 1982 as well but other than that I think the ACOE and the GDamn dredging and the way they replenish is just not working. Anyone else feel the same?
    I feel the same. They are in the middle of completely destroying the Jersey shoreline. Its a shame. Its corruption.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Its corruption.
    Same has happened in Monmouth County. These folks are engineers. Somewhere someone had to do calculations and see that jetties and sea walls strategically placed are a better defense against the ravages of winter noreasters. I really believe they are influenced by bribes and corruption. As was said the proof is in the pudding. Sand naturally flows up or down depending on where you are located. Trying to work with that would have made more sense. It had to have cost less in the long run than just pumping sand to exposed beaches.

Take the long branch pier for example. It was a structure extending out into the ocean. Lasted for decades of storms. Only to be brought down by a fire. There are many areas in the world where rock breakwaters or rock and t-jetty formations are the premier defense against high waves and bad storms. NJ ACOE doesn't make sense to me. Still scratching my head over the latest protocol.

My cousin was in the Army. He said there was a famous phrase- "The right way, the wrong way, and the Army way". You may have a point there but what can we do? The tourists love sandy beaches. They don't love rock jetties or anything that takes away from the uninterrupted view. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Tourists will always win. Fishermen will always be second in line in Jersey.

That's depressing! But prob true

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Looking at some of those pics reminds me of that old planet of the apes movie when he gets to the salt water and realizes he is not on another planet - they just destroyed the old earth so badly that the damn dirty stinking apes took it over. Feel the same way about ocean county. Anyone else feel the same?
    I do. The army engineers must be the ones that almost flunked out of engineering school.

^^^^^^^^

Bye Bye beach again no more sand all gone

http://link.patch.com/click/6063653....521fcB5b0cafbf

"The steel revetment wall is 40 feet high, so even with 12 feet exposed, more than half of it remains buried in the sand."

That pic was chilling. Millions of dollars for that wall so far and with another superstorm those houses could be washed away.

yep they should have left the inlet that they planned to do there when brick purchased the land for it across from brick beach 3

Agree with that.
    Another big mistake made was when it breached by the mantoloking bridge. I know RE is bucco bucks there but man was it a mistake. The erosion pattern would have been changed if they found a way to keep that "inlet".
    Or as you said, the original one planned across from brick beach 3. The barny bay would have been a lot cleaner that way too. jmo

original plan was turned down because the rich home owners didn't want to smell fumes from boats or hear the noise from boat motors

I hate that it's all about those home owners. They don't want an obscured view. Don't want noise from boat motors. Don't want to give the state permission to dredge near their property. Then, when there is a hurricane like Sandy, they are all of a sudden very interested in having FEMA come in and help them out. Pretty hypocritical.

Now they got caught dumping debris, excavated material and trash into the ocean. What next?
    http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/l...ch-was-illegal

My brother in law owns a construction company and they do rebuilding and restoration of docks and bulkheads. If they EVER dumped stuff like I saw in that article they would be fined many thousands of dollars by the DEP!!!!!!!!
    Disgusting they can get away with it because connected to the govt!

It's all about back room payments and campaign contributions. Very corrupt state we live in folks.

Like they don't care. Total disregard for the environment and the after-effects. really wish there was some bunch of people who could influence the politicians to open their eyes.

Saw a report on this on the news last nite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast