Thread: NOAA Fisheries Seeks Comments on Proposed Special Management Zones for 13 New Jersey Artificial Reef

Default NOAA Fisheries Seeks Comments on Proposed Special Management Zones for 13 New Jersey Artificial Reef

Today, NOAA Fisheries published the proposed rule to designate 13 New Jersey artificial reef sites as special management zones. This action would:

Establish year-round special management zones for all 13 New Jersey artificial reefs; and

Allow only handline, rod and reel, or spear fishing (including the taking of fish by hand) in these areas.

Read the proposed rule as published in the Federal Register.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2018/02/13/2018-02916/fisheries-of-the-northeastern-united-states-special-management-zones-for-13-new-jersey-artificial

We will be accepting public comment on this proposed rule through March 15, 2018.

You may submit comments through our online Federal eRulemaking Portal or by mailing your comments to Mike Pentony, Regional Administrator, NOAA Fisheries Greater Atlantic Region, 55 Great Republic Drive, Gloucester, MA 01930. Please mark the outside of the envelope, ?Comments on New Jersey Special Management Zones Designation.?

Questions? Contact Jennifer Goebel, Regional Office, at 978-281-9175

NOAA Fisheries Greater Atlantic Region 978-281-9175, www.greateratlantic.fisheries.noaa.gov

Thank you for the link. I will submit my comments, this could be positive.

Congrats on the progress. I remember something like this a few years ago and never thought it would get moving because of all the fighting.

Are these reefs mostly paid for with tax dollars (and donations) set aside from fishing tackle revenue?

That's a good question. I thought it was supposed to come from the general fund, or do i have it backwards?