Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluefish 2018!!!!!!

Default Bluefish 2018!!!!!!

Cue to the sound of Rocky theme music! can't wait till they show up. Heard some reports, some fake news too. Haven't seen any myself when I am out fishing. Hope that changes soon. Love the blue demons!

A lot of the early reports are highly exaggerated and posted by tackle shops to sell bait. The big racers come from the east. When they do get here you will see catches all up and down the coast. Should be soon, maybe this week.

Quote Originally Posted by nitestrikes View Post
    A lot of the early reports are highly exaggerated and posted by tackle shops to sell bait. The big racers come from the east. When they do get here you will see catches all up and down the coast. Should be soon, maybe this week.

What he said^^^^^

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Agreed. The guy who runs the AC shop was posting bluefish pics from last year. Some guys didn't read the date and assumed they were recent catches. This is how rumors become "facts". Combination of hype and poor reading comprehension.

Though the above may be true, I think some blues may be here already. Very few, though. The cold water does not encourage them to hit lures. We will prob hear of some bunker guys catching them first. jmo

Yeah I realize the hype is part of the game. Still it gets you going and hoping. I am hoping for soon! Love me some early bluefish racers.

Water temperature has a lot to do with it as well. We are down about 4 degrees this time of year for our section of NJ. The waters seem warmer around Cape May. That is changing gradually for northern NJ. They could be here this weekend.

Shape of things to come. Elias V was catching big blues up to 37 inchers in NC the other day.

My logs say that when the water in the bay hovers around 50 degrees we tend to see them show up in greater numbers.

They finally arrived, got a few on bunker rigs last nite. 28-34 inchers.

X2 really glad they are here, bring out the Kracken!

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    Water temperature has a lot to do with it as well. We are down about 4 degrees this time of year for our section of NJ. The waters seem warmer around Cape May. That is changing gradually for northern NJ. They could be here this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by clamchucker View Post
    My logs say that when the water in the bay hovers around 50 degrees we tend to see them show up in greater numbers.
    Right on the $$ guys.
    https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=01407081

Keep them in NJ!

The Dock outfitters april 29.
    Big blues off our dock!! >> Late yesterday afternoon was the start of the spring bluefish run out back off our pier.The long awaited yellow eyed slammers are out back! Blues in the double digit weight class were being taken on cut bunker. It's sure is good to see these tackle busters in our part of the bay once again. I'm sure the bite will last a bit, for the bay is loaded with adult size bunker, one of the items high on their favorite foods menu. The size of the bass in our area is also increasing. Fish in the mid to upper 30" class range both in the surf and bay have been taken yesterday. The tried and true surf clam along with the well proven SP minnow were responsible for these larger fish. With the warmer weather forecasted for this up coming week, I'm feeling things could just bust wide open! So make sure you have all your ducks in a row, it's almost game on!! ... John Yac

Apparently they got them today, per Capt Al Ristori's blog. Where is that guy Monty, does he fish Jersey anymore? Hurry and get down there Monty you can get enough cat food for a year!
    [COLOR=rgba(153, 153, 153, 0.75)]MAY 3, 2018[/COLOR]
    First bluefish in surf

We’ve been waiting for the bluefish to arrive in force as they usually do by the end of April, but nothing has been happening in N.J. — and Fred Golofaro of The Fisherman, Long Island edition had the same report from another early location at Fire Island Inlet. However, just before writing this blog I got a photo from outdoor writer Nick Honachefsky of Normandy Beach of a surfcaster with a good-sized bluefish. I picked a logbook from 1998, and found that my charter party was inundated with blues on May 1 in Raritan Bay. Yesterday, Honachefsky caught eight small bass (a 26-inch and micros) plus five hickory shad on a fly rod in the surf.

There have still been no reports of blues up there

In clifwood today!, a kayaker posted on the net.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 441059041.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    Apparently they got them today, per Capt Al Ristori's blog. Where is that guy Monty, does he fish Jersey anymore? Hurry and get down there Monty you can get enough cat food for a year!
    [COLOR=rgba(153, 153, 153, 0.75)][URL="https://tightlineswithalristori.com/2018/05/03/first-bluefish-in-surf/"]MAY 3, 2018We’ve been waiting for the bluefish to arrive in force as they usually do by the end of April, but nothing has been happening in N.J. — and Fred Golofaro of The Fisherman, Long Island edition had the same report from another early location at Fire Island Inlet. However, just before writing this blog I got a photo from outdoor writer Nick Honachefsky of Normandy Beach of a surfcaster with a good-sized bluefish. I picked a logbook from 1998, and found that my charter party was inundated with blues on May 1 in Raritan Bay. Yesterday, Honachefsky caught eight small bass (a 26-inch and micros) plus five hickory shad on a fly rod in the surf.

There have still been no reports of blues up there
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

Great to see them in Jersey!!!
    No Jersey for me!!!!!
    It’s all about the Island. Fishing the west part of the sound lately
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Bring on the bluefish I am so ready for them!!

Dude are you still fishing long-GAY-Land? When are you going to give that up. Nothing but mirror primping guidos up in there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast