Thread: China Trip

Default China Trip

My work trip to China report since I don't have any fishing reports (still have a few days left here).
    Its an industrial area, I am staying at a nice hotel out of the center of the city (an hour north west of Shenzhen). Will be here for ~17 days. Most people are friendly (more friendly than the US). Around the hotel there are a few others from the states, maybe 10 others.
    Its 13 hours ahead over here (I knew who one the Super Bowl before you did.....).
    Went into the city 2 times. Total of 6 hours and did not see any other people from outside of China. I'm with two friends from work now, we get lots of looks. My friends get it worse and its very uncomfortable almost causing accidents, people tripping, etc. ...very rude). Saw some weird stuff, two small children (~2), peeing on a side walk. We were buying some small things from a street seller and looked up to see a crowd of ~40 watching us. Not many speak any English in the area. Weather has been warm, food at hotel is good (I won't eat real Chinese food). Have had small stomach ache since I got here, a few big stomach aches. Weird that lots of prices are the same as in the US, but they earn around a tenth of what we earn if that. In the city today we went down side roads, unreal what they sell. All types of food, turtles, chickens (cooked, killed, alive), saw a live goose, tons of dead and alive fish (some jumping out of tanks), tons of fruit and nuts. 99 out of the 100 Chinese people we see are skinny, most are well dressed, women/girls many very well dressed, wearing boots and heels. The majority of people are as well if not better dressed than in the US. Saw only one person begging for money.
    Have worked a lot, but have had fun and lots of laughs on the trip. Many crazy situations with discussions and what we see at times is interesting to say the least..
    Craziest thing we saw, there are dogs that we see that are obvious pets, also saw one cat.
    We were walking back through an area we passed 30 minutes ago, in the street (wide street/walkway) is a carved up dog (was not there 30 minutes ago), looked like someone cleaned all the meat off it (all the meat, fillet style like we see with a fish, nothing left). We saw it and kept walking (not gawking at it, ignored it), someone tried to get our attention, yelling at us and pointing “woof, woof”. That’s *ucked up in my book anywhere. I was in Shanghai 14 years ago and saw kids beating a cat to death at a door way. I just don’t understand some stuff.
    Can’t wait to get home, have had enough of it.
    Some pics of the trip, my friends are in the pic with the 2012 sign.
    I forgot to bring my camera on the second trip into the city today (which was the real crazy trip)

The hotel we stay at

I don't think even Rip-Plugger's Plug could get through to the water in this river.

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

wow,some great shots,,I thought china is 'er was a crowded place,,I guess tv has us all fooled.looks to be very clean there too,looks pretty good actually.
    filleted bow-wow,,I assume for them it's a normal thing,,it's your thing,,,do whatcha wanna dooo,,,,,,
    would like to see some geisha girls,,owwwwww!

R-P
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,

Awesme pics monty! I thought it crazy that someone would be fishing in that dirty river there. Do you know why it was so green, was that mostly algae or industrial pollution? Also, did you happen to see if that guy you took a photo of caught any fish?

Quote Originally Posted by Rip-Plugger View Post
    wow,some great shots,,I thought china is 'er was a crowded place,,I guess tv has us all fooled.looks to be very clean there too,looks pretty good actually.

I thought it looked pretty clean also, if you think about how many people live over there. Nice shots.

I will most likely never get to see China, Monty, so I am grateful seeing it through your eyes....thanks for sharing,. and the pics are great!

yeah dude dont they have sum geishas over there? take sum pics and lets see um!

Quote Originally Posted by wish4fish View Post
    yeah dude dont they have sum geishas over there? take sum pics and lets see um!
    I have never witnessed so many attractive, dressed to thrill women in my life . The percentage is above anywhere I have been (US or other country). And this is an industrial city.

^^ I read somewhere that Asian women are some of the biggest fashion buyers in the world. Even Asian college girls, you will neve see them in ripped up t-shirts and jeans, alway dressed up, even when wearing casual wear. Glad you are getting to see all that Monty. Thanks for sharing.
    What kind of food are you eating? (and I know you are NOT eating dogs, or cats, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    ^^ I read somewhere that Asian women are some of the biggest fashion buyers in the world. Even Asian college girls, you will neve see them in ripped up t-shirts and jeans, alway dressed up, even when wearing casual wear. Glad you are getting to see all that Monty. Thanks for sharing.
    What kind of food are you eating? (and I know you are NOT eating dogs, or cats, lol)
    SS, yes very fashion orientated, way more than the US.
    Breakfast, 4 eggs, two plates of rice, 4 pieces of toast, 5 glasses of orange juice. During day a couple nutrition bars and a few Gatorade. If I have dinner (1/2 the time I do, its Spaghetti and tomato herb sauce. Really tastes good. Had a Hamburger and fries the other day, they include an egg on the burger (w/bun, onion, tomato), that was good too..

Oh, I need to bring my own toilet paper with me to work here. Never had to do that back in America. And now we have locals asking us for a sheet or two (so I hide my roll (and have a decoy in a drawer).

Was supposed to leave tomorrow morning, just extended trip to leave Sunday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Oh, I need to bring my own toilet paper with me to work here. Never had to do that back in America. And now we have locals asking us for a sheet or two (so I hide my roll (and have a decoy in a drawer).

Was supposed to leave tomorrow morning, just extended trip to leave Sunday morning.
    Wow, that was pretty gross! So if they don't have toilet paper, what do they do use their hands? Great pics by the way monty.

Quote Originally Posted by basshunter View Post
    So if they don't have toilet paper, what do they do use their hands?
    I have no idea what they do,No idea, Communication is difficult, terrible, comical at times.
    They keep saying yes, but have not the slightest idea of what you are talking about.
    We had a conversation with a waitress the other night for 5 minutes about french fries. We ordered 3 orders of french fries. No problem. She came back and said tomatoe...or tomorrow (over and over), what she was saying was we could have two today and more tomorrow (figured that out after 5 minutes), it was crazy, but fine, no problem.....we get the two orders, split it up, then another order of fries shows up with special fries.....then our hamburgers (with the egg) show up with normal fries. Thats a small sample of what goes on constantly. Working there is nuts because of this.

Default Translation guide, courtesy of Finchaser.....

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    , Communication is difficult, terrible, comical at times.
    They keep saying yes, but have not the slightest idea of what you are talking about.
    We had a conversation with a waitress the other night for 5 minutes about french fries. We ordered 3 orders of french fries. No problem. She came back and said tomatoe.... Thats a small sample of what goes on constantly. Working there is nuts because of this.
    Monty... Finchaser, helpful and benevolent old grouchy basstard that he is, sent me this translation guide to give to you.....
    Ya know, he is so helpful at times that if the world had more helpful people like him, I imagine there would be no more wars and mis-understandings among us....
    Thanks to Fin for his helpfulness.....and you all who have been the recipient of SYBSTD e-mails know what I mean....

LEARN CHINESE IN 5 MINUTES
    (YOU MUST READ THEM ALOUD)
    English Chinese

That’s not right Sum Ting Wong
    Are you harboring a fugitive Hu Yu Hai Ding
    See me ASAP Kum Hia Nao
    Stupid Man Dum Fuk
    Small Horse Tai Ni Po Ni
    Did you go to the beach Wai Yu So Tan
    I bumped into a coffee table Ai Bang Mai Fu Kin Ni
    I think you need a face lift Chin Tu Fat
    It’s very dark in here Wai So Dim
    This is a tow away zone No Pah King
    Our meeting is scheduled for next week Wai Yu Kum Nao
    Staying out of sight Lei Ying Lo
    He’s cleaning his automobile Wa Shing Ka
    Your body odor is offensive Yu Stin Ki Pu
    Great Fa Kin Su Pa

The most important thing to avoid, IMO, is having them call you a "GWEI-LO", which as I understood it means "white devil"....
    I worked in a Chinese restaurant for 3 years doing food prep and washing dishes when I was in high school...so I picked up some Chinese along the way (enough to order a meal in the kitchen...)...for the most part I found them to be an interesting and hard-working culture....they are very cagey until they get to know ya....but once relationships/friendships develop, they can last a lifetime.......

Enjoy your time there and best wishes for a safe flight home....
    PS. what are your cats doing at home without you?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    PS. what are your cats doing at home without you?
    Well I miss the cats LOL...big time.
    Thanks Finhaser for the words....of Chinese Wisdom.......
    I have been doing this stuff, travel, start-ups for 30 years. Been to Japan, China before, South Korea, Taiwan and all over the US. This has been the craziest trip I have been on. The work has been tough, long hours, lots and lots and lots of problems. But I have never laughed as much as I have in the last few weeks with so many funny things with the communication and what has happened. The guy that is from the US that is here that I am working with is a good friend for some 20 years and as difficult as it has been we have been laughing, cracking jokes about it all and been making the best of it. Crazy trip, each day has been an adventure. and lots of laughs.

funny stuff, gets a little sh**ty in the end tho!