Thread: Pentax Waterproof/underwater cameras

Default Pentax Waterproof/underwater cameras

I want to buy a waterproof camera for my surfcasting trips. I liked the Pentax W30 design, but never used one. Can anyone give me feedback as to the quality and operation of these cameras? And are they really waterproof, can they take some abuse when I am fishing in the surf?

That's a point and shoot camera. Can take pics up
    to 10FT depth range. I have a Pentax W30 and love it. Some cameras have battery life trouble. This battery lasts forever.

Purchased this camera but had trouble when it was submerged and water entered the battery compartment. Returned it for another figuring it was defective but the same thing happened again. This could just be my bad luck. Have used other pentax cameras before and didn't have problems with them.

pinhead44 Guest

I like this camera because it supports the SDHC in which I have a 4GB. The video quality is a bit grainy. Have had this camera for almost a year. Pretty durable. I dropped it several times a few scratches but operation was fine.

Thanks for all the great info so far. What about the LCD display? Does it have white out problems?

It is hard to see the LCD sometimes with bright light, but don’t most cameras have this trouble? I had trouble with the dots appearing on the LCD but after being in the sun they went away. Eventually the LCD was no longer viewable. I got a replacement.

i want this camera!

Have had this camera for a year. No trouble at all great camera for surfcasters.
    7DP, the W30 is a 7mp. Pentax now has a W60 which is 10mp. Maybe you want to check that out instead?

I got a pentax W60 about a month ago. I love the pics it takes. So much to learn about it, by the spring I'll be ready.
    Also this youtube video compares a few different ones.